Hobbies, favorites, and Likes?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by gargant1978, Apr 22, 2007.

1. gargant1978

gargant1978 New Member

I know, it's completely off topic, but anyone here into singing, karaoke, or American Idol? I religiously watch American Idol and I was so excited with a Richmonder making it to the second runner up last year (he's making his own album which was released last month). This year's pool of contestants does not excite me. Anyway, I just wanna know what you guys are into, I'm a music craze and I love music and singing. This is part of my introduction as a new member :smile:

2. GoneA

Gold Member

What? You weren't absolutely thrilled over Sanjaya??

Apparently, the rest of the world was...

3. invisibleman

Gold Member

Sorry, I HATE AMERICAN IDOL. Simon Fuller, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul as judges on what IS talent? Come on.

Simon Fuller. What was HIS hit record? Paula Abdul can dance but singing...(NOT). Her last hit was in 1992, wasn't it?!!! I can go along somewhat with Randy because he is a music producer and bass player. ( I remember when he played bass on THE JACKSONS Victory Tour. The high flat top fade haircut a la Larry Blackmon from Cameo was freakinstein high. Yeah, Randy Jackson had hair. :smile: ) Still, he doesn't represent the entire industry.

4. inbriefs

inbriefs New Member

I dont watch american idol because im from the uk, but im going to be on the uk version on it called xfactor this year

5. gargant1978

gargant1978 New Member

I have to admit that I was relieved when he was eliminated (now we're talking a singing, or karaoke :tongue:, competition! :tongue:), I can't stand seeing him embarrasing himself up there. Somehow I feel sorry for the kid. But now that he's gone, I realize I'll miss being entertained by him :tongue: Quoting Simon Cowell, "it's like missing my favorite horror movie." The others are good singers, but they are boring! Especially when compared to last year's very strong pool of contestants (Daughtry, Yamin, McPhee, Bennett, and Hicks). Only Melinda and Jordin are exceptionally great singers for this year's show. Idol was on top last year.

6. invisibleman

Gold Member

I like playing my guitar. Playing my keyboard. Writing songs. Reading a lot of self help books on various topics dealing with the power of one's mind.

I love going to see movies. Renting them. I love great movies. The worst one I saw was "KUNG POW" with Steve Odekirk in it. (It was supposed to parody old 70s Kung Fu movies. It just sucked. Ooh, it was BAAAADDDDD!!!)

I like to cook and bake.

7. gargant1978

gargant1978 New Member

Woohoo, inbriefs, hope you go far!!! :smile: Best of luck! :wink:

8. inbriefs

inbriefs New Member

thanks, facing simon cowell and sharon osborne probably won't be the highpoint of my life though lol

9. gargant1978

gargant1978 New Member

Hello invisibleman :smile: As for me, I already mentioned I love singing. I do play a little keyboard and stuffs. I also love martial arts, as you can see on my avatar. I grew up spending my times with my Dad watching classical Chinese kung fu stories (those by Ching Yun, etc.), or more like a marathon, watching 10 VHS in a day during weekends :biggrin1:

10. inbriefs

inbriefs New Member

i play the keyboard too ( a little) i also play the clarinet and dabble in guitar

11. gargant1978

gargant1978 New Member

I know X-Factor, last year's winner was Leona Lewis, wasn't it? I heard that the judging system for X-Factor is sorta different from that of American Idol. Viewers vote for their favorites and then the judges decide among the bottom three contestants, which will be eliminated. Correct me if I'm wrong. What's your (inbrief) genre anyway? I like soul (Conner Reeves), smooth jazz (Dave Koz), and acid jazz (Jamiroquai).

12. inbriefs

inbriefs New Member

yeah! on the live shows viewers phone in and the judges choose from the bottom 2......but this year they are having 4 judges..the famous through relation danni minogue is joining the mix, so i dont know what happens if they end up with a draw....i dont have much of a genre...love songs?? ballads maybe

i'll be- edwin mccain
    when you say nothing at all- westlife
    your song- elton john

can't get my guy out of my head now though(sister act was on this afternoon)

13. invisibleman

Gold Member

I wouldn't sweat any of them. Who are these fucking people to criticize you anyway? Neither Simon Cowell nor Sharon Osborne have the balls to face their fucking heat. They get paid to criticize and break you down. And you get to box and exercise your talents. You are getting exposure. Be professional. Be prepared. Be considerate and never be too angry where you lose it. That game Simon plays is indeed a mental game. It is ALL for the ratings and drama. He will use you for his gain. Spoil it for him.

You forget those fucking morons, you hear me?!!! Get prepared. You go in there and you sing. You wreck the shop. They will tell you you're shite and bloody awful. You put your game face You NEVER know who will be listening.

14. gargant1978

gargant1978 New Member

Hmm, Danni Minogue, I'm not that familiar with her although I know she's the famous Kylie Minogue's sister. I'm very picky when it comes to things that I like, including music. So I come up with list of genres that I like the most. I do enjoy other genres, but I just can't sing them. Expect me to butcher rock and alternative songs!!! :tongue:

15. inbriefs

inbriefs New Member

that seemed more like an order than a supportive comment

(this was to invisible man by the way)......ill be back to read you kind words tomorrow..have fun and be kinky;D

16. gargant1978

gargant1978 New Member

Yeah, Simon is one nasty bitch, I agree. But try coming to one of academic conferences (a friend of mine told me this), and you'll find plenty of nasty, snotty, academicians who think they are the smartest creatures on this planet! :tongue: They'll "murder" you not just based on your works, but sometimes you as a person too...

17. invisibleman

Gold Member

I like Kung Fu Movies. I have Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Kiss of Dragon. Black Mask. Black Mask2. Drunken Master. Drunken Master2. The Matrix Trilogy. Kill Bill Vol. I and II. I also like the old Godzilla flicks and spin offs. Son of Godzilla was my favorite. It was cute too.

I could watch martial arts films all year. I EVEN like watching those UFC and Pride FC Championship bouts. It is better than WWE any day.

18. invisibleman

Gold Member

I agree with you on that. You can find critics everywhere. Hehehe. Critics are just failed artists.

19. invisibleman

Gold Member

It was/is supportive advice. I don't like what Simon does. I don't like the way he treats those kids. (Remember what the show is essentially--a reality show. It is using your reactions as a means to get ratings. ) He (Cowell) isn't the one that is performing or taking his shit comments. So you have to go in there and spoil his fun. He is going use you.

Be prepared. Be professional. Be courteous. No one wants a Simon Cowell, Junior. The reason being--you NEVER know who is watching and listening to you perform. You could end up opening up for Madonna. Singing backgrounds for Robbie Williams. Duet on a tune with Joss Stone. Whatever. You never know who is watching the show.

20. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mine are WWII, TV, (esp BBC PBS HBO PLAYBOY and G4) Books Music and audio Broadcasting and movies and DVDs

Draft saved Draft deleted