Holding hands

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Pecker, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well? Do you and your significant other hold hands in public?

I had to hold my wife's hand when we went out. If I let go, she shopped.

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

That's funny Pecker. Really.

I have held hands with a BF in certain places--Rehoboth, DE among them.

Unfortunately, most of the world is too insane for Matthew and I to hold hands walking down the street.

Naughty, for example, might faint! :p

3. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I had a bf with whom i held hands everywhere. I've also had a bf who was afraid to hold hands even in Rehoboth, DE (one of the most gay-friendly places on the planet). I personally like to hold hands sometimes. I think it's sweet. I'm a romantic at heart, and i think it's a very romantic gesture.

4. Fredneck1951

Fredneck1951 Member

Albums:
    Sorry to hear your wife only has one hand! Mine uses one to hold mine, one to hold her credit card. Hasn't slowed her down at all!

5. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, holding hands is really awesome and is a very romantic minded thing to do with your partner. Most people hate it though, I just want everyone to have clean hands. Just say no to the sticky sticky. Wash, rinse, repeat!

6. roosevelt

roosevelt New Member

Nah, While I was married I held my wifes hand too, for the same reason, she could till shop, but I refused to hold the bags, so it was only what she could carry with her one arm

7. smoothrnb

Gold Member

Albums:
    My partner and I hold hands all the time in public. We are proud to be a couple and are not ashamed to show it. We love to window shop and hold hands while looking in store windows.

8. scanjock8

scanjock8 Active Member

Albums:
    prolonged pda always seems contrived to me. the problem with holding hands is someone always has to let go first, and i can't help but feel obligated to hold on longer than i want (when i didn't even want to hold hands in the first place). you're forced to adjust your walking pace faster or slower. you lose a hand for gesturing. and your palms get sweaty. i know it's a sweet gesture, but i just end up annoyed by the mechanics of it all. i hold my nephew's hand to keep him from running into traffic and offer my hand as a lift or for support--functional hand holding.

a peck on the cheek or little-something whispered in the ear works for me.

excessive pda just baffles me. like the "schmoopy" episode of seinfeld.

i should add, i do not discriminate when it comes to pda. straight, gay, tranny--same rules apply;-)

9. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    i don't think holding hands is excessive pda... necking, sharing saliva, tonsil hockey, fellatio... THOSE are excessive :)

10. scanjock8

scanjock8 Active Member

Albums:
    oh, nor do i--i just added the excessive reference. holding hands is 'prolonged' (my own warped term;-)

11. GoneA

Gold Member

Holding hands is a really nice gesture and I actually encourage it. I like to see it and I like to do it.

Just like joyboytoy, I am a romantic at heart.

12. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I like holding hands, but I agree that sometimes, it just isn't comfortable, especially when walking on a hot day. And I did have a girlfriend who complained bitterly that I was always the one who let go first... which was true, but only because she wanted to hold hands (almost literally) all the time. Including when driving and in restaurants.

Sitting together on the couch watching a movie, having a coffee on a patio, walking on the beach (NOT hiking)... all perfect times to hold hands.

13. TopDudeFtl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I wish my partner was more of a PDA'er. He's just not all that comfortable with it. Although I am able to grab a quick hug or peck on the cheek when we go to the more "Gayer" parts of town or to Key West. He seems more comfortable there. (Maybe I should take him to the Arals...) :rolleyes:

14. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

I have nothing against it. With all of my significant others through the years, I liked holding hands while we went out. I'm not that much a romantic, but it's a nice gesture on the one hand, and a good thing to play a little, too. However, even more I like it if a man puts his arm around my waist while walking.

15. Love-it

Gold Member

Absolutely, I enjoy holding my wifes hand, if there is room to maneuver while walking in the woods or on the street. It isn't a requirement, we don't do it to curb shopping or to prove anything to any one, it is just - pleasant. We will sometimes hold hands while watching TV. Endearing.

16. davidjh7

Gold Member

I enjoy holding hands with my partner--when I had one :tongue:. I know what you mean about who lets go first, and the "but my hand is sweaty and beginning to cramp " bit. One thing I do, is give a gentle squeeze to his hand, to let him know that the affection is still there, just that reality is intruding. Doing that I have never had a partner frown at me or say anything--usually just a sweet smile as a return acknowledgement. Just an option for an awkward moment .:biggrin1:

17. naughty

Gold Member

See,

Remind me to give you a therapeutic head noogie when I finally meet you. That is not what I meant. You know what I meant. Whereas you would do that, there are people who as exhibited ( no pun intended) in an earlier thread will truly show their behinds.... PDA has a wide spectrum.

18. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Be careful...touching me might make you gay! I've been known to have that effect on men, anyways. :tongue:

19. bree

bree New Member

I like when he touches the small of my back.. The holding hands thing is nice but not always good when are not at same pace.. But I love the holding my waist when Im in front of him.. Or when he holds my shoulder the touch of his warmth is what is nice.... The energy i feel from him..

20. Jentl

Jentl Member

When I met my boyfriend, he wasn't sure he was a 100% gay, he didn't come out to anyone yet, he didn't have any sex before.
    You can imagine holding hands was a no-no.
    After coming out, blablabla, he still didn't want to hold hands, so I made an issue of it. It wasn't so much that I was desperate to hold hands, but I did think it was terrible he would hold back out of fear. He was afraid somebody somebody would say something about it, somebody would look at him funny, or even just think something bad of him.
    And this is Belgium for Christ's sake.

Now, when I feel like it, I can hold his hand. It feels nice and safe.
    But I still gotta hold him tight when we come across some Turkish guys :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted