Holding hands

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dunno about this. We don't hold hands that often -- it's not because there is no affection there, or that we're not "cuddlers." It's just awkward sometimes. Anatomically, I mean. For some reason, our hands just don't seem to mesh together easily.

Plus, when you live in NYC, it's a matter of challenging logistics. I find myself dodging the sidewalk traffic constantly. If I were to be attached to my boyfriend, it would just make just walking down the street in our tourist-ridden neighborhood nearly impossible.

I love seeing two guys holding hands, though. To me, it's such a simple, adorable, effective means of non-conformity and political protest.

Having said that, I would totally grab onto Scanjock's hand and then move on to other areas...

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
In diff cultures men of all orientations hold hands. It's in the german and english settled parts it's not common. I don't know if I want to hold hands a lot or not. My hands sweat a lot and it makes me nervous to think I'm sweating on yours.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
bree said:
I like when he touches the small of my back.. The holding hands thing is nice but not always good when are not at same pace.. But I love the holding my waist when Im in front of him.. Or when he holds my shoulder the touch of his warmth is what is nice.... The energy i feel from him..

This is exactly the type of innocent, yet sweet pda that i adore. I had a bf, briefly (damn army) that would hold me at the waist as we walked down Halsted street in chicago. There, it was all very natural... and it just felt awesome! I could care less if anyone else was noticing, i just loved being touched by his bit, meaty hands... especially in a non-sexual, public way.

F_Man

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
joyboytoy79 said:
This is exactly the type of innocent, yet sweet pda that i adore. I had a bf, briefly (damn army) that would hold me at the waist as we walked down Halsted street in chicago. There, it was all very natural... and it just felt awesome! I could care less if anyone else was noticing, i just loved being touched by his bit, meaty hands... especially in a non-sexual, public way.

The mediterranean way between males who are friendly is great! I remember moonlight walks in Rome, with friends of friends I just met, and the girls in the company walking separately in a group, and we boys together. And as a way of accepting me, they would put their hands or arms arms around my shoulder, as a sign of comradery, initial bonding. Awesome! The company of men! :smile:

Finnman

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MidusCo. said:
To be honest I think holding hands is a form of insecurity.
I'm glad you have an opinion, midus.

My partner and I do occasionally hold hands in public, but we are very physically demonstrative of our love and affection. Both of us tend to reach for the other's hand, without even thinking about it. In the right situations, a quick kiss sometimes occurs, but never the tonsil-hockey style mentioned above.

As for the sweaty hand, or who lets go first, or any of the other referenced "awkwardness," it's not an issue for us. We've been together long enough to realize that letting go is not rejection. If I need to stretch my hand or air it out, I just relax my hand very slightly, and we both let go. It's very natural, not at all contrived.

OmahaBeef

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont like holding hands much in public. I might graze the small of her back now and then. I just prefer that kinda thing in private or in the more tender moments. Walking from the truck into wal-mart is NOT one of those moments. I think its the female-way of marking territory.

OB

DiegoID

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For me it happens when it happens, and ends when it ends. It's not really about what we look like, or who may be watching. It's not about showing my "gay" pride. It's about my love for my man, and me wanting to touch him while we walk . Once you get into the right relationship there shouldn't be issues with hand holding. The whole issue about sweaty palms, insecurity about letting go it shouldn't be that big of a deal.. (Unless your a Gay tourist in Croatia)

Hirsute

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't mind holding hands when I am seeing someone it's fine as long as it ain't a warm day !!

But Moreso I enjoy putting my hand in the back pocket of his jean or just walking along with my palm over the knape of his neck.

Reinforcing and so binding when you care for someone !

Nothing sexier than two men displaying this type of subtle affection.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm surprised to see some of the negative reactions to the question, especially the ones suggesting that hand-holding is contrived or "marking territory." My partner an I enjoy physical contact with each other. We enjoy touching. I can understand if someone just doesn't enjoy it, and there probably are a few out there who have motives for doing it, but in my relationship, it is just simply affection. At home, we give each other random kisses, we often touch as we pass going about our routines, and especially at bedtime: we snuggle when we get in bed, throughout the night, and when the alarm goes off, we spend 5 or 10 minutes snuggling and planning our day. It isn't a sign for anyone, it isn't a control issue, it isn't a "socially rebellious" thing... we are just very fond of one another.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
DC_DEEP said:
I'm surprised to see some of the negative reactions to the question, especially the ones suggesting that hand-holding is contrived or "marking territory." My partner an I enjoy physical contact with each other. We enjoy touching. I can understand if someone just doesn't enjoy it, and there probably are a few out there who have motives for doing it, but in my relationship, it is just simply affection. At home, we give each other random kisses, we often touch as we pass going about our routines, and especially at bedtime: we snuggle when we get in bed, throughout the night, and when the alarm goes off, we spend 5 or 10 minutes snuggling and planning our day. It isn't a sign for anyone, it isn't a control issue, it isn't a "socially rebellious" thing... we are just very fond of one another.

What you just described is what a lot of straight women long for. Pay attention husbands and men with live-in girlfriends.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
I'm surprised to see some of the negative reactions to the question, especially the ones suggesting that hand-holding is contrived or "marking territory." My partner an I enjoy physical contact with each other. We enjoy touching. ... It isn't a sign for anyone, it isn't a control issue, it isn't a "socially rebellious" thing... we are just very fond of one another.

Found this a while ago. Here seems like as good a place as any to share it:

"I love to kiss and cuddle and hold someone in my arms. I love to plan things and look forward to them. I love to sleep late on the weekends and hide under the covers from predators.

I want a man that I can hold up against me on a cold Saturday morning, whisper in his ears, kiss and lick his neck and plan our day together. Someone who will put their arm around by shoulder and pat my back to celebrate my successes and wrap their paws around me when the world has foresaken me.

I want a man that I am so sexually attracted to that I can't breathe when I am around him. If I can't have that for a lifetime, then just a week... or a day.. or an hour would be o.k. too. But I am holding out for the lifetime.

I want my life to be full of possibilities.

I want someone to tell me that he loves me. Not all that often. Just occasionally."

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for that, Lex. You have seen Tawse and me together in public. You can vouch that we are neither insecure, nor dainty, nor possessive.

Ushah, if there are people out there ignorant and gauche enough to point and stare at me, then maybe I'll give them an education. I really care not at all what they think.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
Thanks for that, Lex. You have seen Tawse and me together in public. You can vouch that we are neither insecure, nor dainty, nor possessive.

Oh yeah--it was clear that you two adore each other and all that--even as you groped and pawed other people as well! :tongue:

DC_DEEP said:
Ushah, if there are people out there ignorant and gauche enough to point and stare at me, then maybe I'll give them an education. I really care not at all what they think.

It's hard to be comfortable in your own skin. Sad.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
Oh yeah--it was clear that you two adore each other and all that--even as you groped and pawed other people as well! :tongue:

It's hard to be comfortable in your own skin. Sad.
I'll be generous, Lex, and imagine that he meant fearing his own safety around violent homophobes... even at that, it's going to take more than just a few of them, armed, to have the advantage over Tawse and me. We both have some strength, and I have some training and experience in close combat... so, no, I don't worry that much about other people.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
I'll be generous, Lex, and imagine that he meant fearing his own safety around violent homophobes... even at that, it's going to take more than just a few of them, armed, to have the advantage over Tawse and me. We both have some strength, and I have some training and experience in close combat... so, no, I don't worry that much about other people.
If none of us ever stands up and endures the staring and pointing--If we refuse to educate people and help them to see that we are all the same, then we'll never be able to comfortably do all the things everyone else can.

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I must agree with scanjock8 on this one. It seems so contrived. A peck on the cheek, a whisper in the ear, a wink, a warm smile or an arm around the shoulder work for me. I will hold someone else's hand to help or guide, but that's it-- and only for a short while.

scanjock8 said:
prolonged pda always seems contrived to me. the problem with holding hands is someone always has to let go first, and i can't help but feel obligated to hold on longer than i want (when i didn't even want to hold hands in the first place). you're forced to adjust your walking pace faster or slower. you lose a hand for gesturing. and your palms get sweaty. i know it's a sweet gesture, but i just end up annoyed by the mechanics of it all. i hold my nephew's hand to keep him from running into traffic and offer my hand as a lift or for support--functional hand holding.
scanjock8 said:
a peck on the cheek or little-something whispered in the ear works for me.

excessive pda just baffles me. like the "schmoopy" episode of seinfeld.

i should add, i do not discriminate when it comes to pda. straight, gay, trans--same rules apply;-)