Holiday shopping and the economy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by trentster, Dec 4, 2008.

1. trentster

trentster New Member

Albums:
    In the US there is an economic crisis, and the holidays are approaching. Most people overspend on the holidays, buying more than they can afford. Do you think this massive spending could help the economy, or is the debt that will be incurred cause the US to get worse?

2. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

The spending so far has been only on massively discounted items. Its inflated and misleading. Yes, I would speculate that most of the purchases are on credit.

Retailers giving away items at cost won't help the economy. It may temporarily aid retailers in unwinding massive inventory levels, but won't provide much stick after that. After the holidays, retailers will embark on one of the worst labor layoffs in history. It won't be pretty.

3. D_Marazion Analdouche

People as a whole are more wrapped up in making sure their kids have what everyone else have they are not teaching the importance of money even at an early age.

I remember my father saying to me once when I was acting like a little shit asking for a certain toy..."Do you want the toy or do you want to eat?"

Things made a little more sense after that.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

IMHO, The debt that will be incurred will cause a greater/deeper financial depression in the USA.

5. curious n str8

curious n str8 New Member

Albums:
    It may help in the short run but won't be lasting. Besides most of what we buy comes from overseas anyways.We really need to build up our manufacturing industries etc... se my thread "How you would fix our economy"

6. D_Marazion Analdouche

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I'm telling you I'm going to start putting up the sandbags and hunkering down in my basement. My spidey sense tells me something wicked this way comes lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted