Holiday Trivia

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My mother's side is German (my mother was the first generation born here) and what was always "normal" to me regarding the tree was buying a live one sometime in mid-December, keeping it outside with the base in water, and bringing it in on Dec 24th. We'd decorate it when we got home from school, and the presents would be brought out and placed underneath. Then we'd all walk to my maternal grandmother's house for dinner, and then open the presents there (many signed "from Santa") before dessert. My grandmother's tree was also not brought in and decorated until that night, before we arrived. After dessert and coffee, we'd walk back home and open the presents and then go to bed.

In the morning, we'd open our "stocking stuffers" which were often signed "from Santa." That's also when we'd see the "evidence" of Santa's visit -- half-eaten cookies on a dish. Then we'd get ready and go with our father to his sister's house and have dinner with my father's side of the family (my father is first-generation English/Scottish) on the 25th, and open presents there. After leaving my aunt's house, we'd go back home (when my parents were still married), or to my father's (after the divorce) and open more presents (from him) there.

Around the time I was beginning to question the existence of Santa Claus (before my parents divorced), I asked "Why does Santa come to Grandma's house early on Christmas Eve?" My great-grandmother said that because Santa Claus was German (and, according to her, the best parts of the holiday were German traditions -- of course...haha), he came to the German families first.
:p

We kept the tree up until sometime after New Year's -- I'm thinking the time was around Little Christmas, but we didn't celebrate that or any other religious aspect of Christmas. I think it was more about keeping it up until it started becoming "annoying" from losing too many needles, which was around two weeks and coincidentally fit approximately into the 12 Days of Christmas. Some things were simply kept as tradition without actually knowing "why" we did them.

I have a strong memory of being very affected by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's rendition of "Little Drummer Boy" which was among the songs played at my grandmother's house. I understood the legend of the birth of Jesus, but it was never emphasized that he was the "son of god" or whatever -- just the story. To me, what made the song sad was that a baby was born, and all these people came by to bring expensive presents. The little drummer boy was very poor, and had no money for gifts, but wanted to give something. All he could give was a song, and he hoped it would be enough. I remember saying (as a child) that he was afraid he'd be teased for not having money, but in the end, it was his gift of a song that was the only thing which made the baby smile. It still makes my eyes water when I hear it.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
tree goes up early in Dec because I darn well want to enjoy looking at it for as long as I can o_O

It comes down in in Jan sometime, depends on how much energy I have

The Christmas abbreviation-Xmas-is thought by some to be sacreligious, but in fact the first letter of the Greek word for Christ is chi, which is X. Before the invention of the printing press, “Xmas” was often used, in print, to save time and ink.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not Japanese but I think of all the years in Hawaii and having Japanese friends I always end the year with a clean slate, my house is so clean you could... (Well never mind) Today I finished the cleaning, paid all the bills and sent thank you notes and cleaned up all the loose ends from 2012

This explains it a little better...
An important Japanese end-of-year custom is oosoji which means extensive cleaning. In contrast to spring cleaning that is common in the US, oosoji is traditionally practiced when the weather is rather cold. It's important for the Japanese to welcome a new year with a clean state, and all cleanings are done at home, work, and school before New Year's holiday.

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I got this from a calendar of strange info:

The Puritans, known for their religious fervor, hated Christmas. A law was passed in 1659 outlawing the celebration of Christmas, and a five-shilling fine was levied against anyone "found observing, by abstinence from labor, feasting or any other way, any such days as Christmas day." They considered Christmas "an extreme forgetfulness of Christ, by giving liberty to carnal and sensual delights."

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Another bit of holiday trivia: the Christmas carol "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear" has no mention of the Christ child, the manger, Mary, Joseph, Bethlehem, etc. yet has been a beloved Christmas carol for many years. The writer of the poem, Edmund Sears, was a Unitarian pastor, hence the lack of any mention of Christ and speaks only of a message from the angels.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
as previously stated
i dont New Year reolute no more these days
since breaking my thou shalt not wank promise
a few days after it was made, and many subsequent times thereafter ..

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I learned something new from my tennis partner this morning (in addition to that my backhand needs some work)

Why do we abbreviate Christmas to X-mas (I do this all the time)...
The word X-mas has been in use for more than 600 years and has a special meaning. The X represents the Greek letter Chi Which is the first letter of Christos. So X-mas is not a modern slang as I thought but has an ancient worthy heritage.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One of the many things I love about the holidays are the different variety of foods during this time of year. I have most of my things already made but I'm making a list for the market for Christmas Pudding...I love Christmas Pudding because it's magical to me with a rich history.

I love making it and decorating it and hiding charms inside to grant the wishes of those who partake and setting it alight before serving. Unlike many other traditions it's origins are not Roman, Scandinavian or German but acutally Celtic.

The Celts had a harvest god called the Dagda whose task it was to stir a hugh cauldron containing a porridge made of all the good things from the earth... as the legend goes as long as he kept stirring the harvest would be a success. As time went on the porridge was improved with the addition of fruits and meats all minced together. In the 17th century it was improved and became a plum pudding.

The Christmas pudding was cooked in a cloth so that when the ingredients begin to expand and swell it grew into a large spherical object that resembled a cannon ball. Now it is made in a basin and flamed with brandy with a sprig of holly on top.

If you wish to follow the ancient rituals then every member of the family should give the pudding a stir but it's important to stir from east to west following the path of the sun across the sky. The flame symbolize the heat of the sun and the holly sprig with the berries represent vegetation bearing fruit.

The pudding is a magical mixture and you make a wish with the first mouthful eaten; like all wishes if it's kept a secret it will be granted. The charms hidden inside (silver coin, thimble and a ring) act as an indicator of the fortunes of those who find them in their portion. The coin promises riches, the ring marriage and the thimble hints at a saintly life.

Christmas pudding is one of the many highlights of the holiday season for me. I'll share my recipe in the recipe thread for anyone who wants to try it or try my recipe.

Attachments

Last edited: