Holidays...Todays Trappings vs Memories

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by OhWiseOne, Nov 11, 2011.

1. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Whatever your faith, whatever you feel you need to do this holiday season, remember those moments of family. When I sit back and think I smile and have a warm feeling.

Grandma's pies cooling...cherry, rhubarb strawberry and pumpkin...smells so good.

Waiting to be called up to the adult table from the kids table. You can't wait but when you get there you find out it's not a big deal.

Grandpa on Christmas Eve watching the Pope and drinking his Crown. I realized later he was thinking "thank God grandma is busy and not bothering me"

Putting out the cookies and milk for Santa along with carrots for his reindeer.

I wish everyone a happy holiday season.

2. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Being at grandma and grandpa's was the best. No tree, no presents but lots of love, and tons of food. I sure miss them. The kids all ate on the back porch. We'd have fun. Every so often, I'd see an adult try to peep without being caught. haha

3. witch

witch Member

making new memories with my new family....... lol, not one of them blood kin, but love the crazy bunch :) one lucky Witch

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My brother and I were raised jewish however when my mother remarried and they had a child they raised him christian so we typically celebrated a version of both Hanukkah and Christmas and that time of year was referred to as "The Holiday's. I have really enjoyed creating new holiday traditions with my other half;I discussed some of it in this thread. http://www.lpsg.org/212542-holiday-trivia-thread.html

5. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Glad all of you have the spirit of the season. Find what's positive and build on it. nudeyorker you are to damn smart....lol

6. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    My grandparents' cooked turkey being kept warm on the hearth of the coal fire.

My younger sister getting up early and unwrapping all the presents under the tree in a frenzy, meaning we had to sort them out later and I was no longer the naughty one, lol.

Seeing the christmas mass broadcast live from Rome on french TV at my brother's house in Brittany when he hosted the family christmas. And the log fire of seasoned oak and apple wood we toasted chesnuts from his garden in.

Coming back to the flatshare in London and finding the one who'd ignored christmas depressed as hell.

Finding out that the main ceremony at Stonehenge took place at winter solstice around 5,000 years ago and it was basically a giant hog-roast and feast.

The midwinter feast is an act of defiance and a celebration of continuance and rebirth. Long may it continue, whatever your religion or cultural heritage.

7. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

My favorite memories revolve around Halloween. It's pretty much the only holiday I celebrate anymore. Was never a big fan of Christmas, and having my mom die on Christmas Eve really killed what little interest I had in celebrating it.

8. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A warm fire seems to be the centerpiece of a lot gatherings and memories.

9. D_CountVonBhigBohner

D_CountVonBhigBohner Account Disabled

I enjoy the holidays...watching different cultures/religions celebrate their beliefs. Wishing people a Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah, etc and tasting food from different cultures. I also think it's sad that there are others who get "offended" for seeing a Christmas tree in the mall, or a santa on a Coke bottle.

10. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

The holiday season starts for me on Thanksgiving. Christmas has twelve days. beginning on Christmas Day and ending on Epiphany. Madison Avenue and the Church of Gimme have no influence, no vote in deciding what, when, where or how I'm going to celebrate.

I grew up in a weird, dysfunctional Southern family with all the attendant bizarre, violent drunks and drama-addicted aunts and grandmother. I don't have many holiday memories that are worthy of a revisit, and prefer to make my own with all the lovely new people and things I am fortunate to accumulate as time goes by.

11. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, somehow central heating's not the same... :frown1:

12. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Not the south but I had the same kind of family. So very little fond memories as well.

13. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think we all have some degree of bad memories. I try to rid myself of those the best I can even though they are still there. Only one thing to do is to create new ones in the future.

14. NCbear

Gold Member

Lots of dysfunction and violence without drinking, so it was less predictable and therefore more shocking, particularly during the holidays.

MUCH better memories since moving out of the house where I grew up.

More later, maybe.

Or maybe not.

NCbear (who sometimes wants to write a book about my upbringing as a wake-up call to social services agencies about how to recognize true harmful dysfunction in a superficially "normal" family :rolleyes:)

15. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I posted the happy memories. I did not post the others. After my dad's parents died, all hell broke loose. It was nothing but hell from then on. I prefer to deal with healing the bad, and remembering the good.

16. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    My holidays got better when my nephew was born. I love how he tells everyone that his auntie makes the best this or that. :smile:

My best memories are of my grandma on my dads side. Everything was made from scratch and she did it all by herself. Me and my older brother always got to break the wishbone.

17. midlifebear

Gold Member

Having grown up on a turkey farm, my family was wise to what those animals ate and what was added to their food. Therefore,Thanks Giving and Christmas we had lamb and sugared ham. No turkey.

Those halcyon years were also full of excessive anxiety and strain in my family. No one was happy. In general, we couldn't stand each other.

As an adult, (since 18), I've taken advantage of the "holidaze" as an excuse to travel to tropical beaches in a primarily Catholic countries. Although it depends on the country, La Navidad is more or less a minor event, because Pascua, (Easter) is the real point of christianity, (ressurection, and all that). But living in Barcelona was always difficult because Catalunyans are WAY queer about Christmas; much worse than 'Mericuhns. it's maddening.

So, since hooking up and marrying The Squeeze we travel back to his home town in Argentina where 99.9% regard la Navidad as simply a blip on the radar. Everyone is more concerned with getting ready to escape, preferably before December 25, for their annual month-long vacation. For someone like me who finds the hijacking of Christ as the Saint of Fourth Quarter Earnings somewhat odious, Buenos Aires is bliss. Plus, more than half the population of the city is out of town for a month.

Good times. Good times.

#17 midlifebear, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted