Holy Crimes (Batman!)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Dec 29, 2009.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

This should probably be put under a forum on kulture, but it seems religion is Hell-bent on mixing with politics. So, for those who have a need to know, the following is a summary of last weeks holy crimes that made the news. Enjoy. If you know of others, please contribute.

Over the last seven days....

Ontario: Pastor Ronald Burning arrested on eight counts of sexual assault on minors, including rape.
    Pennsylvania: Rev. Kirk Caldwell arrested for murdering his son on Christmas Day.
    California: Pastor Samuel Chai Cho Oh arrested for immigration fraud scheme. He allegedly collected $40K-$50K a month from people posing as students in return for visas.
    Texas: Pastor Matt Baker indicted for murdering his wife.
    England: Rev. Tim Jones under fire for saying it's OK for poor people to shoplift, as long as they only steal from chain stores.
    California: Msgr. Richard Loomis granted immunity to testify before a grand jury investigating the Archdiocese of Los Angeles for covering up child molestation by priests. Lommis has said that Cardinal Roger Mahoney ordered him not to contact police about sexual abuse cases.
    New York: In a secret trial, the Catholic diocese of Rockville exonerates Father Alan Placa of child molestation charges. Placa is a close friend of Rudy Giuliani.
    Cincinnati: Pastor Jeff Kilburn and his wife charged with "sexual imposition" and felony child endangerment of a 16 year-old boy.
    Georgia: Pastor Segun Masha accused of running a Toys For Tots scam by charging parents to make copies of their Social Security cards, supposedly to confirm how many children they had.
    New York: Rabbi Naftali Tzi Weisz convicted of multimillion dollar money laundering scheme.
    Florida: Pastor Darrell Gilyard, already imprisoned for molesting a female minor, has admitted fathering the child of a woman who has accused him of rape. Gilyard was once considered the "next great preacher" of the Southern Baptists.

Oh, and I hear Ted Haggard is in the early planning stages of his "comeback" (as opposed to his resurrection). Enjoy! :biggrin1:

#1 midlifebear, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. finsuptx

finsuptx New Member

I think of it as a crime, so let's not forget Pastor Robert Tilton of the Word of Faith Ministries, down in Florida, up to the same tricks he used in Dallas in the early 90's to fleece his flock and any other poor bastards who believe that their way to salvation is to send him money so he can live well.

3. Jason

Gold Member

He spoke of differing degrees of seriousness of morally wrong actions, and found moral actions that were worse than shoplifting. He then made the jump of saying that if it is a choice between shoplifting or a more serious crime then shoplifting is preferable.

He was a bit of a prat to say what he said and the media have had a field day with it - but I'm not sure that he actually said anything so terrible.

4. Jason

Gold Member

With all these "Holy Crimes" there is a difference between the wrong acts of individuals and the wrong acts of a Church. This is where the Roman Catholic Church crossed the line in hiding the molestation of hundreds of children by Roman Catholic priests because they thought the dignity of the priethood was more important than saving children from rape.

5. dj30905

dj30905 New Member

Albums:
    Reminds me of a Christian telethon thing I watched recently. Got a good chuckle out of it when they were saying that God would bless those who send a donation of $1,000 or more. Uh...pardon me, Reverend, but wouldn't God bless any donation, or any effort? This raised a few little red flags in my head and set off some alarms.

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Now let me tell ya something...
    We're still beautifying God's House...
    And I need 100 people to write me this week...
    And send a little offer of $50 or more.

LET GOD USE YOU THIS WEEK... for His Glory.
    I AM EXCITED!! About the House of God!

7. captain garbonzo

captain garbonzo New Member

8. dj30905

dj30905 New Member

Albums:

Now, what was Satan doin' goin' thru the backdoor of God's House? Hmmm...Trippy

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

why is this in the politics section? :dunno:

10. midlifebear

Gold Member

I agree. What is Nick of the sixes doing in the politics section?

11. midlifebear

Gold Member

Nicky (his pookiness) of the sixes wonders why this thread is in the politics section. Poor boy. He is oblivious to the reality that religion is Hell bent on messing with politics. Maybe it's the mix of his various medications?

So, here is a good example why I put this thread in the politics forum. It's that time of year when you thank all the fellow bigots in your life, so New York's Catholic Church has sent Sen. Ruben Diaz and his fellow "No Homo Marriage" voters a note of appreciation for all of their hard work in keeping those dirty queers down.

"On behalf of the Bishops of New York State and millions of other New Yorkers, please know that we are proud of you for taking this stand. Please know that Catholic New Yorkers across the state are deeply appreciative of you for this vote of conscience. May God's blessings be bestowed upon you and your family in abundance this holiday season."

The Daily Politics - NY Daily News

I wonder if NAMBLA has sent the New York Archdiocese a lovely note of thanks for all their work in the field of boy fucking?

Thanks and a tip o' the hat to joemygod.

12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Better living through techno. :cool:

13. houtx48

Gold Member

someones has been reading joe my god again.........i read it everyday

14. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    While I see what wonderful fodder religious crimes are for those who want to discredit religion (given the hypocrisy involved, as if only religious criminals are hypocrites) I pose this question:

Are crime rates amongst religious figures higher than the general population? If not....then there's really nothing to see here. Just people being people. People lying about their nature. Nothing new at all.

#14 Qua, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  15. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't desire to discredit religion. I do, however, desire to discredit those who would impose religious rules on me, that they themselves don't even follow. Worse yet, is when the blatantly immoral try to codify morality in the laws the I'm governed by.

The few people i know who are sincerely religious are some of the finest people I know. I use the word sincere because I believe a large number of people who claim to be religious ignore the most central teachings of whatever church they follow and cling to whichever ones allow them to justify their hate. That's not religion, that's bigotry, and I'm adamantly opposed to it.

Do I believe that only religious people are hypocrites? NO! I believe the TRULY religious people are the least hypocritical people that exist. In fact, I question whether people who've committed atrocities of hypocrisy are really religious at all or whether they simply claim to be religious because they think that absolves them of the crimes the intend to commit.

16. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well played.

I'm not sure about the actual crime rate, but I know that the US prison is almost atheist-free. Over 99% of prison inmates are religious, whereas about 80-85% of the general population is. This doesn't necessarily show a link between religiosity and tendency toward crime, though, as systemic poverty, often bleak situations in life, and poor education are more to blame in all likelihood.

17. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh I wasn't speaking of religious people in general, religious figures such as priests, ministers, etc, as well as crimes done on the name of religion. These are the ones that get latched onto and made into politics threads.

18. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, because the figures such as priests, ministers, etc, lead the religious people in general. They teach. They shepherd. When it turns out they are morally (and legally) bankrupt, it casts doubt on their teachings, and that casts doubt on their ability to shepherd, and that casts doubt as to their right to impose their morally superior doctrines on those who wouldn't choose to follow their flocks.

19. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

yes, dear fellow -- where are the examples?
    all you cite are incidents of clergy engaging in lapses of moral behavior, of various degrees of criminality -- none of them in a "political" context

indeed, the implied, generalized connection reposes on an ideological intent (Trotsky, Lenin, et al would be proud)

indeed

as usual, the only intelligent post

citation?

operative definition of religiosity?

self-description in interview?

so, we take statements as face value?

if so, Kim Il Sung is the greatest human leader in history -- ask any North Korean

(it would be nice if our educational systems imparted critical and analytical skills to the masses as they once did, instead of baby boomer era little red book indoctrination)

#19 B_Nick4444, Jan 2, 2010
  20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

These are also the people who work so hard to assume these positions of power in order to be viewed as symbols of trust and morality, and not just to their followers but to every single person who sees them put on the robe. It's only natural that people who are viewed as "role models" will then be viewed so vehemently when they betray the trust that is bestowed on them.

Is it fair? Perhaps not, because we all know they're human and we all make mistakes. However, THEY are the ones that wanted the admiration as well as the social perks that come from being a priest, minister or whatever person of high regard in society. If they don't want to adhere to all of the responsibilities that comes with these titles, nor the scrutiny and criticism that comes with it when they mess up, then they should have made a better career choice.

#20 B_VinylBoy, Jan 2, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted