Home Automation

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Has anyone here tried the home automation thing? I have to say that I have and I'm addicted. I brought a friend over the other day and it was the best reaction I've ever gotten to my house... he was amazed. The front lock is biometric, so when you scan your fingerprint it recognizes who you are, remembers what lights were on etc.. and automatically turns them back on. Then I have software on my handheld that, when in range, it automatically connects to my WiFi network and establishes a remote connection with my media server and turns my TV, satellite receiver and whatever was playing when I left. Then I have a whole home audio system that is tethered to my phone with A2DP and I anything I have audio wise on my phone I can play through the speakers (wireless). It's a whole lot of convenience! Oh yea and best of all, I put IR recievers on all the lights and I bought this app for Windows Mobile called NoviiRemote and I can control all lights in the house from my handheld.

Someone help me, I think I have wayyyyy to much free time...lol:rolleyes:

I wish I could automate everything. That must be a lot of fun.

Be thankful for all that free time! It's getting to be a luxury these days.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Well, it puts my comparatively simple X-10 setup to shame, but it sure sounds cool... :yup: :fing02:

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I wish I could automate everything. That must be a lot of fun.

Be thankful for all that free time! It's getting to be a luxury these days.

It's crazy addictive because total cost for everything so far.. even the software is like 60 some odd dollars. And there is sooo much instant gratification...lol And on the subject of time I know right, both my neighbors just got laid off, now that was a wake up call.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The yacht we delivered last summer had a complete automation system built in. Lights, curtains, entertainment system, security, CCTV, navigation and mechanical info, all available and/or controllable from handheld LCD remotes in every room. There are 1000's on songs and movies available from any room. The owner can monitor the boat from internet. The monitor/alarm system will call mobile phones of the crew and owner if there is a break-in or emergency. The supplies of food and consumables are barcoded and are monitored.

The system was a bitch to install (4, 60 inch tall racks and armfuls of cables) and the programming took over a month. But it is surprisingly simple and intuitive to use. Older systems from 10 years ago were notoriously difficult for the end user to operate. But the manufacturers have realized that they can't sell systems that only engineers and 10 year olds can operate!

The manufacturer of the system monitors the system via satellite and can diagnose faults and delivery patches or updates through the sat.

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i lose the remote to the TV all the time :frown:
i really don't want to lose the remote to my house.
sitting around in the dark thinking about all the cool tricks the house could do if my dumb ass didn't lose the remote seems very depressing.

ml

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
i lose the remote to the TV all the time :frown:
i really don't want to lose the remote to my house.
sitting around in the dark thinking about all the cool tricks the house could do if my dumb ass didn't lose the remote seems very depressing.

ml
We have people for that Mickey. :biggrin:

I imagine the fucking thing will call home if it's lost.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Yeah, but how often do you lose your phone? :wink:

*checks pockets. checks side table. follows charger cord to the end... no phone. looks under couch cushions. looks under couch. check the microwave, just in case. calls cell phone with house phone. goes to look in the car, can't find keys*

:redface:

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
*checks pockets. checks side table. follows charger cord to the end... no phone. looks under couch cushions. looks under couch. check the microwave, just in case. calls cell phone with house phone. goes to look in the car, can't find keys*

:redface:

Wow, looks like you're having a bad day. I personally never go without my phone in my hand or on my side (stylus or no). But that's just a testament to how much of a geek I am. BTW... lots of new faces I see here... I've not been on LPSG in quite a while. Nice to see all the new people :)

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Someone help me, I think I have wayyyyy to much free time...lol:rolleyes:

you could use up some of that free time over at my place and pimp my house.

i hate having keys i usually lose em like once a month and want a way to just get in and out of my house without doing anything, just wear a tag or like u, have a finger scan thing. or even cooler retinal scan, or maybe even face recognition so i could program in friends faces too.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
The yacht we delivered last summer had a complete automation system built in. Lights, curtains, entertainment system, security, CCTV, navigation and mechanical info, all available and/or controllable from handheld LCD remotes in every room. There are 1000's on songs and movies available from any room. The owner can monitor the boat from internet. The monitor/alarm system will call mobile phones of the crew and owner if there is a break-in or emergency. The supplies of food and consumables are barcoded and are monitored.

The system was a bitch to install (4, 60 inch tall racks and armfuls of cables) and the programming took over a month. But it is surprisingly simple and intuitive to use. Older systems from 10 years ago were notoriously difficult for the end user to operate. But the manufacturers have realized that they can't sell systems that only engineers and 10 year olds can operate!

The manufacturer of the system monitors the system via satellite and can diagnose faults and delivery patches or updates through the sat.

It's funny though, because you can do that through IP now. Remote screens, media server, even lighting and appliance control. But of course you won't have the satellite to send down random updates.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The system was a bitch to install (4, 60 inch tall racks and armfuls of cables) and the programming took over a month.
how BIG was that yacht?

I installed an X-10 system in the early 1980s using my Apple ][ as a controller. never came home to a dark driveway or house.