Home Sick

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I feel home sick and sad, I don't know why because I'm still in my home town Portland, OR. Ever since I started working again I started to feel this way and its bringing on some sort of depression, I spent an hour looking at pictures of the city I live in (http://www.portlandground.com/archives/downtown/) I'm not sure whats wrong with me...I also feel lonely...

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm a new EMT, I don't get a vacation. I think it because some people I used go out and around the city left and the city just feels diffrent now

mainer1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Feeling disconnected from your own territory? I've been through that and it passes....like the weather, our moods vary. Hang out in this bizarre cyberplace with us in the meanwhile and have a few laughs, see some sexy pics, crazy threads...enjoy the incomparable Pecker's wit and you'll be fine!

Bryan_Lyte2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
mainer1 said:
Feeling disconnected from your own territory? I've been through that and it passes....like the weather, our moods vary. Hang out in this bizarre cyberplace with us in the meanwhile and have a few laughs, see some sexy pics, crazy threads...enjoy the incomparable Pecker's wit and you'll be fine!

Dude, not only has he been doing that, he's been here longer than you.:cool:

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bryan_Lyte2 said:
Dude, not only has he been doing that, he's been here longer than you.:cool:

That made me laugh, I think I just need to go wander arround the city like I used to with my friends, they left a trip for 5 months and we used to wander aimlessly around the city just looking at crap at anytime of the day.

We ride public transit and walk (Its the way of the city) and one time we got stuck really far away at 2 am in some random part of the city we wander arround until about 5am when the buses came back

xrush_uncut

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When I started college, there was someone in my dorm that had to quit because he was homesick. We went to school in Miami and he was from West Palm Beach, not evenan hour away. I always thought that was weird, but it really affected him a lot.

I experienced some culture shock going back home when I left the US after college. After 8 years here, it wasn't easy going back to the third world.

yhtang

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
findfirefox said:
I think it because some people I used go out and around the city left and the city just feels diffrent now

I know exactly what you mean. I used to live in London. For 10 years, I studied, and then I worked there. Subsequently, I had to return to South East Asia for some personal reasons.

After a six year hiatus, I returned to London for a holiday. I was just not the same anymore; yes, the old places, my old haunts, Soho, Piccadilly, etc., were hardly changed but I was not there with my friends.

So yes, I know what you mean and I am very aware of how it feels. Do not feel disheartened, you and your feelings are but one of many out there in the world.

What did I do about it? I could only move on, and keep my old memories in a special place in my heart.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
firefox, I went through a similar funk when I started losing my friends to the military draft in the 1960's. Suddenly I realized that things were not the same as they used to be: the carefree, vagabond days of my youth were closing down.

It's hard to accept at first, foxie, but it's the way of the world: we have to grow up sometime.

Dammit.

ceg1526

Experimental Member
Media
Fox:

Things are different. You've changed: you've finished up EMT school and made it through your first months on the job (you survived the first few nights and things are getting routine I expect). You've seen the city from a different angle. Some of your old friends have moved on without you and that hurts.

The disconnect with the city I expect will be fleeting. You'll settle into a new pattern. Just make sure it's one you want and are comfortable with.

If you're at loose ends, become a tourist in your own town. Go and see the tourist traps, take a downtown walking tour, take the MAX, run in every park in town, swim every public pool, do the things the locals never do.

Take care

Ceg