homeland security: putting the "special" in "special agents"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr Rock, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    A senior at UMass Dartmouth was visited by federal agents two months ago, after he requested a copy of Mao Tse-Tung's tome on Communism called "The Little Red Book."

The student, who was completing a research paper on Communism for Professor Pontbriand's class on fascism and totalitarianism, filled out a form for the request, leaving his name, address, phone number and Social Security number. He was later visited at his parents' home in New Bedford by two agents of the Department of Homeland Security.

The professors said the student was told by the agents that the book is on a "watch list," and that his background, which included significant time abroad, triggered them to investigate the student further.

They brought the book with them, but did not leave it with the student, the professors said.

2. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why would you need your SSN to complete a book order??

Well at least the Government is doing SOMETHING with all that money....

3. Matthew

Gold Member

Unbelievable.

4. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    truth really is stranger than fiction these days

seems the feds have taken a page out of Mao's secret police handbook

but at least they didn't heist the kid (not yet anyway)

5. Dr Rock

Gold Member

so that the library/bookstore knows you're a student.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

*does her best not to invoke Godwin's law*

7. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

I usually try to see both sides of the coin and do not criticize Bush for his policies overly often. However, the nice way he found around getting a warrant for wire taps has me shaking my head. http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/17/bush.nsa/ He not only defends it but says that the will continue. He then blamed the journalist who broke the story for endangering American lives and then vows to find the person who “leaked” the story to the American people, who have every right to know what their elected king is doing. After reading all of the crap that has been happening in the name of protecting Americans and Canadians I have finally added my signature line to reflect my views on the “patriot act” and the similar security laws that our Canadian government has passed.

8. Dr Rock

Gold Member

oh, i think things have gone way beyond that now. godwin's law only works on the assumption that there aren't people who actually are as bad as the nazis.

9. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dolf
    your sig made me think of this founder's quote

"Many think it not only inevitable but entirely proper that liberty give way to security in times of national crisis -- that, at the extremes of military exigency, inter arma silent leges. Whatever the general merits of the view that war silences law or modulates its voice, that view has no place in the interpretation and application of a Constitution designed precisely to confront war and, in a manner that accords with democratic principles, to accommodate it."
    – Alexander Hamilton

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Rikter, I have been on a personal campaign for at least 10 years now to try to encourage people to refuse absolutely to use their social security numbers as general ID numbers. As far as I am concerned, my SSN is for use only as my taxpayer ID number - and therefore only required by my bank (for interest-bearing accounts), by my employer (for my quarterly tax payments) and by the IRS. I refuse to provide my SSN for a driver's license (consequently, I don't have one); I refuse to provide my SSN to my library; I refuse to provide my SSN for voter registration (consequently, I am not allowed to vote.) I am more than willing to provide ample identification for the above, or other, purposes; but with the push toward the "National ID" system, too many agencies, organizations, and businesses think it is OK to disregard the Privacy Act of 1965.

I do understand the need to provide security in air travel, but I have serious concerns with the way TSA and the current administration "think" this should be accomplished.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am not being alarmist with my privacy concerns. Be aware that every time you run your credit card through a reader, there is a wealth of information that can (and often is) collected in an instant. There was a brief scandal here in the Washington area - the subway system (Metro) was collecting extensive information through their "SmartCard" fare payment network. The SmartCard can be used to pay bus or train fares, and all Metro parking went to an "all SmartCard, no cash" policy. You can put additional money on your (registered) SmartCard, using a credit card, at all stations. But all these changes went into effect before the Metro board developed and published a privacy policy - meaning that they could divulge your infomation to anyone of their choosing.

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I certainly don't want federal agents showing up on my doorstep saying "You checked out two books on our terrorist watchlist, and you make one-way trips twice a week to the station nearest a mosque we have been watching..."

11. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Well, besides Mao readers there are other credible terrorist threats:

According to recent press reports, Pentagon officials have been spying on what they call "suspicious" meetings by civilian groups, including student groups opposed to the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ban on lesbian, gay and bisexual military personnel. The story, first reported by Lisa Myers and NBC News last week, noted that Pentagon investigators had records pertaining to April protests at the State University of New York at Albany and William Patterson College in New Jersey. A February protest at NYU was also listed, along with the law school's LGBT advocacy group OUTlaw, which was classified as "possibly violent" by the Pentagon. A UC-Santa Cruz "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" protest, which included a gay kiss-in, was labeled as a "credible threat" of terrorism.

And we're supposed to trust King Bush will only use his self-appointed god-like powers for good? Hold on kids, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

12. Dr Rock

Gold Member

clearly GAY PANIC is being superseded by GAY TERROR

13. KinkGuy

Gold Member

That explains it. And all these years....being a queer made you weak, effeminate, depraved, condemned to hell and worst of all, a sissy. NOW we're terrorists. For us, in a way, that's a step up.

14. Matthew

Gold Member

Will this increase my chances of marrying a gay terrorist?

15. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well... wasn't there a rumour that the military once tried to to develop a pharmaceutical/bio warfare gas that would make enemy soldiers irresistable attracted to the same sex?

Kurtz lisps....The Horror...The Horror

16. madame_zora

Gold Member

Oh, please don't go there. If bush could link gays to terrorism, I think he'd do it in a heartbeat. Will someone please take one for the team and fuck that man in the ass? Maybe if he blows a load he'll calm the fuck down.

17. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol — maybe then you'd find republicans willing to impeach him

18. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

19. madame_zora

Gold Member

Or give me a hand grenade.

20. KinkGuy

Gold Member

How about if I just buy the grenade for YOU to stuff up his ass? I ain't going near his ass with MY dick. But I hereby endow MZ with total and complete freedom to do as She pleases. Oh, please wear protection.

Draft saved Draft deleted