Homeless numbers include more families

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by clear, Jul 9, 2009.

1. clear

clear Member

Albums:
    By KEVIN FREKING, Associated Press Writer – Thu Jul 9, 3:09 am ET
    WASHINGTON – The face of homelessness in the United States is changing to include more families and more people who live in the suburbs and rural communities.

Article here: Homeless numbers include more families - Yahoo! News

Thoughts?

Ciao-

T.

2. Onslow

Gold Member

The sad fact is that after several decades of seeing homeless people all around and having the various parts of the media tell us about it the public in general became somewhat inured to it. Then the economy took another hit and things got worse. The shelter systems such as they are are ill-equipped to handle the large number oof people both single and in family units.

Families have been part of the crisis for decades and most cities, towns, villages do little to truly raise these people out of their predicament. Welfare payments have remained at the same level for 20 years in many places~~although food stamp allotments have increased even if not at the rate of inflation. Job training programs are also virtually nonexistant. People are trained for the lowest paying jobs or with equipment which has been outdated for several years.

When will it end? I have no idea and doubt it ever will end entirely. There;s an ebbing at times which is more froom people dieing off or eventually finding distant relatives to put them up for a few weeks or mnths here and there. Many homeless are not even in the visibility line of the general public these days. Homeless people tend to develop skills to help them blend in to the scenery and become invisible. It helps since the police are noted for hauling people away on trumped up charges. Is it fair to charge people with vagrancy when they have been let go from a job which barely gave enough to pay the rent and minimal amounts of food? \\

There is a newer face to homelessness in that more of the former middle class {which is rapidly disappearing} are landing in the streets. Qualified people find they are one of a hundred~~or more~~competing for one job opening at a salary 1/3 or less than it was a year or two back.

There are also in appearance more homeless in the areas outside of the cities. Many people worked in the cities and the jobs are gone and they know there's no hope there so they stay in their community or go to anothere suburban area in hopes that something will be there for them to help transition them back to a self-sufficient life.

Back in the mid 1980s I first got involved in the homeless plight and fight and have been there on and off since. It is a fight which exhausts as one government agency and bureaucrat shifts you off to anothere and then another until you can't see or think straight and this is while having a roof over your head so imagine how much harder it is for the persons sleeping under the bridge or deep in the woods~~yes there are homeless people tented there as well in many places.

I wish I had answeres but I don't.

3. clear

clear Member

Albums:
    Thanks Onslow!

Over all, your comment and assessments are pretty spot on. As you made mentioned, the vast majority of social services- and other forms of goverment/public aide -have either been wholly inadequate or simply incapable of properly addressing this plight. As such, I personally believe that in order to properly address or abolish such shortcommings, society as a whole- and not government explicitly -has to re-approach the issues of poverty and homelessness in our country; from a completely new/different perspective. Ideally, one in which our collective futures rest not in the individual pursuit- or attainment -of the so called "American Dream", but one in which the basic necessities of life are both required, and provided, for every individual citizen of our nation. Or said another way; if we treat access to food, clothing, and shelter on the same level as other civil rights, then we will begin to see a paradigm shift (and dare I say actual lasting change and progress) towards abolishing these great stains (i.e. poverty and homelessness) on human life and dignity. Alas... I am afraid that this is an ideal for a society much more mature and organized, then our present one.

In any case, one possible solution (aside from the aforementioned) is for our government to legally recognize that: in order for an individual to both function and thrive in this country, he/she needs a legitimate place of residence. And by residence I do not explicitly mean a physical structure or location per-se (though this is implied by inflection), but a legally recognized point of reference in which other forms of aid and assistance- both public and private -can be administered, monitored, and or directed. A possible example would be a type of virtual P.O. Box system that is not tied to any one local, but rather to the individual owner of the box.

This is important for many reasons, but the main one is that most homeless individuals tend to be transient or incapable of being in any one location for a fixed amount of time- for obvious reasons. As such, they can not realistically be expected to meet certain criterion needed in order to secure aid or employment of many types. Because in most all situations, the main thing a given agency or potential employer wants to know is where an applicant lives. And if he/she can't provide that information, in most all cases, they will be denied service or consideration for employment outright. But with a legally recognized virtual P.O. Box, a person at least has a chance to provide a valid point of reference for which potential aid or consideration for employment can be directed. Additionally, and because of the virtual nature of the box, should they up and move for what ever reason, the will still have access to their information and property over time and from most any place.

Now granted, the logistics of any and all physical media and property being directed and redirected to actual postal locations- close to a registered users current location -would have to of course be worked out. However, a novel prerequisite of this service could be that the bulk of most paper corrispondence would be digitized at the point of address to obviate any and all problems that might arise from handling them in volume, over time, and across multiple locals, for the plurality of users who will invariably use the service.

Ultimately such a system would benefit us all. It will provide far more advantages for those in our society who, historically, have gone the most without, plus it would be a great start on the road to eradicating poverty and homelessness in these United States (if such a thing is possible that is, lol).

Just my two cents.

Regards,

T.D.:cool:

Ciao-

4. crossy

Gold Member

There are way too many homeless veterans.

5. clear

clear Member

Albums:
    Agreed!

Though this issue for me is one I strongly believe needs to be dealt with by our government first and foremost. Period.

Now, that is not to say that private citizens should be bared from participating in helping address this shameful fact and state of affairs; concerning our veterans, but rather that their plight exist as a direct consequence of a lack of action and accountability from our elected officials (and governing members of the armed services). And until these members of government are made to redress these crimes against their most patriotic of citizens, our credibility in the global arena of world affairs will continue to be systimatically undermine. Because as a nation, if we cant be trusted to look after and tend to the needs of our own, how can we be trusted to look after the needs and affairs of others?

Ciao-

T.D.

#5 clear, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted