Homeless woman arrested for sending her child to school

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Rosalind Mussell, Apr 18, 2011.

1. D_Rosalind Mussell

D_Rosalind Mussell New Member

2. D_Principle Pumped

D_Principle Pumped New Member

This is wrong. Im glad education is free for all no matter what in uk

3. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is the type of story that makes me think people are just plain crazy these days. I understand that the District Attorney brought these charges because the City decided to scare people. But think of that poor woman: not only is she homeless and unable to give to her child what she should, but now she will face criminal charges for giving him an education. There must have been a better way to handle this...

4. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

What a shit country! I though the North East states were meant to be civilized.

In the UK, they bend over backwards to accommodate & prioritise traveller & illegal immigrant kids.

You can be thrown in jail for NOT sending your kid to school.

I'm not known for being empathetic, but this woman's case is heartbreaking.

Where's the Twitter mafia for a truly deserving case like this? Someone start one up,"Mayor Richard Moccia - you suck!" & I'll spread the word. This is so wrong!

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's really pathetic that in our world we have insanely stupid people willing to stretch and distort the concept of thievery to such degrees to arrest a woman for trying to get their son a public education. All children should be entitled to that, regardless of who pays taxes or not.

Also, it's equally pathetic for anyone to sit here and use such an isolated incident to mount a mindless attack on an entire country. It's obvious that crap like this doesn't happen the mass majority of the time in ANY civilized country. Let's just make this about the dumb individuals who screwed up and not the entire United States, OK?

6. D_Rosalind Mussell

D_Rosalind Mussell New Member

I don't even know where to start with this story. The denial of education to a child due to a homeless status? The mayor's stooping as low as to make an public example of homeless people? The absurdity of launching a police investigation into whether one homeless child is attending school? The terrifying truth that Bridgeport Connecticut shows complete disregard to their homeless? If I lived there I would be picketing city hall. In my town they arrested some illegal migrant farm workers a few years ago. The townspeople went nuts and picketed the center of town because they believe the police officers acted beyond their jurisdiction and arrested them unjustly. I can only imagine what would happen here is some homeless woman was arrested for sending her child to school.

7. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's pathetic. Education should be available for everyone, regardless of their status in society. The fact that the mayor seems proud of his actions is terrible.

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    This story is very Connecticut. When I moved there for a job in 1999, I almost immediately started saying that "I've got mine, now go fuck you" should be on their license plates :rolleyes:

I'm not certain how a homeless person can be determined to live in one locale or another, and in the linked article it said that she occasionally sleeps in a homeless shelter in Norwalk, so that would make her as much a resident there as Bridgeport.

Urban living and the "Connecticut Dream" are completely incompatible, and as a result the state's cities are shitholes (except, perhaps for Stamford and Danbury, though just by a short-hair). I tried living in New Haven, but it was such a disaster that I broke the lease five months later and my then-partner and I found something suitable a few miles up the highway in North Haven.

Bridgeport, though, is perhaps the worst place in all of New England to live (worse than the worst slums in Boston); I have no doubt that the schools there are abysmal, retched and dangerous. I can't blame her for trying to get a better start for her kid. The charges of first-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit larceny are an affront on human decency.

And I'm sure that this whole case has an ugly racial component to it as well; the woman obviously doesn't know her place :mad:

9. maxcok

Gold Member

It's high time we brought back the poorhouses and debtors' prisons, got all this embarrassing unsightly lazy trash off our streets, and put them to work doing something useful like, oh, I don't know.... picking up trash?

If that's too expensive and too big a drain on the "budget", well, there are always those other "final solutions".

More and more it seems like that's where this society's headed. :rolleyes2:

#9 maxcok, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:
    Unless you guys get your finger out of your arseholes over there, you will be third world within the next 5 years.

11. houtx48

Gold Member

We could send the Teabaggers to you also.................I sota agree with you.

12. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Member

Keep them out of here, we have a rapidly increasing standard of living & no GFC bank failures.
    The US looks more like Bangladesh every day.

13. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Spent a lot of time in Bangladesh, have you?

14. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:

2 Years

15. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I realize it's tempting to hate on a country who has been the gold standard for democracy, freedom and economic expansion for the past 100 years, but it's not quite Bangladesh. We do have our challenges here, but extrapolating this single event across a population of more than 300 million and predicting doom for the US makes about as much sense as thinking your "rapidly increasing standard of living" will continue after you've mined all of the minerals out of your backyard and given them to China.

16. mrsatisfier

mrsatisfier Member

^PolySci 101; Perceptions shape society, not reality.

17. JustAsking

Gold Member

Yes, this is outrageous, for sure. I live in a very conservative county in Ohio, where there are more Creationists than sentient beings. However, on this issue, they have made special considerations for homeless people and their schooling.

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Despite the political and ideological divide between the left and the right, I tend to think most people on either side would agree that arresting this woman was the absolute wrong thing to do.

19. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think many posters are missing a point here. This woman was NOT arrested for sending her child to school. She was charged with fraudulently claiming she lived in a city simply to send her child to a better school district where she, in fact, did not live. Free education was always available to her; she just wanted her child to go for free in a municipality in which she did not reside. In most of the US, education is paid for by local taxes and a district's schools are available only to those who reside in the district. I certainly do not think that she should be arrested or fined...she clearly did no great harm. But please don't think she did NOTHING wrong. It is clear to me that the local DA brought these charges solely to make others think twice before they did the same thing. I am certain the charges will be dropped after the publicity has made it's point.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Nobody is suggesting that the mother didn't do anything wrong. But considering the extreme circumstances it's clear that authorities completely overreacted and tried to make her an "example". If anything, this is the wrong kind of person to use as some kind of societal prop to send a message. That's the reason why people are responding so negatively. This is the problem when issues are not looked at on a case by case basis, but through overly simplified generalizations.

#20 B_VinylBoy, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted