Hometowns - Do You Stay Or Do You Go?

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
At he same time most people leave home for somethinmg better. The place you choose to go is obviously someone else's home town. Some people just get lucky and get it right the first time. I left and get an itch if I'm in one place too long but there is nothing wrong with sticking around if you're truly happy. If everyone left there would be no home to go back to.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I remember reading something long ago that went something like; " You will never reach distant lands if you can not swim and have the courage to loose sight of the shore" Like so many young people I wanted to get away to find my self and figure out who I really was. I can't tell you how many boarding passes have crossed my palms in my lifetime. But for the the ability to travel and meet new people. And carve a life that is mine not my parents son, has meant a lot to me.
I've kept in touch with people who stayed and have come into themselves and found self-actualization with out changing zip codes.
We all find our own peace and our own place in individual and personal persuits.
I am a better person for having lost sight of the shore. But that does not make me any better than someone who did not share my need to run away and reinvent myself!

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A huge part of me wants to leave because im getting ready to graduate, but my city is one of the few nonhit by the economic downturn. Cheapest gas in the country, home values throughout town are rising, substantially, loans are still easy to get, angels and venture capitalists are abundant, unemployment is dropping, and real estate and business development are exploding, so I kind of want to stay here, flip a few houses, invest in some land, and see where the rest of the nation is in 3 or 4 years. There's plenty money in my city so the odds for success here are substantially high for college graduates

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A huge part of me wants to leave because im getting ready to graduate, but my city is one of the few nonhit by the economic downturn. Cheapest gas in the country, home values throughout town are rising, substantially, loans are still easy to get, angels and venture capitalists are abundant, unemployment is dropping, and real estate and business development are exploding, so I kind of want to stay here, flip a few houses, invest in some land, and see where the rest of the nation is in 3 or 4 years. There's plenty money in my city so the odds for success here are substantially high for college graduates

and where is this mythical place?:cool:

parchissi

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
One thing about moving from your home town - is if you ever move back to it again after living a period of time away from it - things never seem to be the same again. I moved away from a small New Zealand town to go to university many years ago - and after living in a large city going back home was always only for short stays. I found going back a challenge as nothing ever seemed to change and people were still doing the same old things the same old ways. And now that I have travelled the world and now live in Australia going back to my old home town is something I would never consider at all - to stay that is - visiting family is always on the agenda - but just for short periods!

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People just get drunk and do drugs, smoke weed. living paycheck to paycheck. don't go to school. there's no opportunity in EITHER of the towns.

We must live in twin towns! lol.

I am extremely tempted to move away once I save up enough funds and if I can locate a job somewhere else. It wouldn't be fun being in a strange new town with no job.

Thanks for the responses. Very interesting and insightful. More?

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I moved 3 days after grad and never went back. Most of my pals left too and the ones that stayed are all pregnant or doing drugs.
It does seem that the people that left are more successful but only because they left for collage or trade school or a better job.
Well, I guess that depends on your definition of "successful."

I remember reading something long ago that went something like; " You will never reach distant lands if you can not swim and have the courage to loose sight of the shore"
Or to quote the great sage Kylie, "You'll never get to heaven if you're scared of getting high."