Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
are we talking about a phobia or hate?
I have a phobia for spiders and therefore I do not seek them out.
When I hate something, I seek it out.

!!!!!
-Phobia in terms of suffixes to words can also mean hatred or aversion of. That's the definition being used in homophobia. An aversion from anything homosexual. Just as you said if you hate something you seek it out, some people seek out what they hate so as to eliminate it.

Reactions: deleted16932571

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I thought much of the article was on point. Homophobia and preconceived masculinity policing are deeply damaging to all types of men.

As for the misogyny and homophobia link, there are significant overlaps and similarities between the two. Highlighting that is accurate, but referring to it as the "bastard child of misogyny" makes it sound like the genesis of homophobia come from misogyny. It's intellectually dishonest to talk about the genesis of homophobia without bringing up religion (specifically the Abrahamic religions, which also have plenty of misogyny in their texts, but misogyny definitely predates those religions).

Burghf_er

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It can be argued that the 'gay' identity which emerged in the 20th century is peak patriarchy and misogyny.

There isn't only one "gay identity" at a time in the USA, let alone the entire world and/or the entire 20th century. Sorry, you need to be more specific with your stereotyping.

EquusAZ

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Homophobia against 'straight' men!? Lets call it what it is. Homophobia. PERIOD. Doesn't matter if they are gay, straight, or bi, being 'afraid' or hostile towards someone based on their percieved homosexuality is still homophobia.

Reactions: deleted16577781

trav.

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
From today's Guardian - outstanding article.

" [...] Similarly, so many straight men are victims of homophobia because it is principally about policing the boundaries of masculinity, rather than repulsion towards gayness per se. Queer men are normally the biggest sufferers of homophobic abuse and violence precisely because they are seen to be the worst violators of masculine norms. What is deemed more “unmanly” than having sex with other men, after all? This is why the designated term for queer people in Margaret Atwood’s dystopic The Handmaid’s Tale“gender traitors” – is so apt. But if straight men engage in behaviour deemed to violate the boundaries of masculinity, they are at risk of homophobia, too: from failing to show enough physical aggression, to not objectifying women or treating them as equals, to talking about feelings or showing compassion – coded as a feminine trait – towards others.

Homophobia is the bastard child of misogyny: a means of conditioning men into embracing and glorifying traits that menace women and “unmanly” men alike. Eliminating homophobia will principally liberate queer people, but it will free straight men, too, to be themselves. It will mean a society with less violence and more love. And that’s why the homophobic persecution of straight men isn’t a tasteless distraction: to ignore it is to fail to understand homophobia at all."

Why homophobia against straight men matters | Owen Jones

Owen Jones is homophobic.

NotAfraidofHeights

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A lot of people are poorly socialized.

i act pretty flaming but nobody ever homophobically bullies me. Straight guys love me bc of my guts to be myself.

basically being feminine is the most masculine thing a man can do bc it challenges other men to check you. Basically straight men agree that i can flout the rules and do whatever i please. Thats why they dont check me because they know I will tear them apart. They know that i am so masculine that i do not need to be masc presenting to command respect.

Thisnis wat straight men are talking about when they say throwing it in their fave. Yes. I will throw it in your face and you will do notjing about it but whine bitch boy.

…like Prince or Louis 14th energy

D

deleted18388141

It s not homophobia it s machism and heteronomativity standards
Homophobia is different! And being straight and taking for gay is another thing too!