Homophobia and the Church

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, May 19, 2006.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

(thanks to DC DEEP for bringing this to my attention).

This makes me sad. I bascailly stopped going to church because the anti-gay sentiment there just can not be denied. I know that the hyper-homophobia found in the black church (and other churches) is just an expression of the hyper-homophobia found in the community and culture and this is UNACCEPTABLE.

The church was once a play where people could go and feel loved and welcomed. it was a place that oragnized communities to fight against injustice. sad, then, to see injustice and exclusion a PART of the church.

This comes from the Washington Post

2. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I'm surprised that you have only just heard about what happened in DC. Some of the choir members at my church were sending that around. It is really sad.
    The church should be a place where all are welcomed and loved. By condemning certain groups of people, those ministers don't realize that they are sinning. By turning people away they do more harm than good to the Gospel message. Ministers like that are playing God and judging, but in doing so might be turning away the one person who might give their life to Christ that day and give up a life of addiction to drugs or alcohol. They will be held accountable. For every minister like that, there are plenty more out there who preach the love of Jesus.

Have you read "I Say a Little Prayer"? This topic is addressed somewhat.

3. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Wonderful thread. Should get interesting.

I 'basically stopped going to church' because of the Christian stand on human rights for anyone other than heterosexual men.

(Can't wait to hear from Dr. Rock on this one....):biggrin1:

4. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I totally avoid the news so I have been missing stuff.

Thanks for the info Monty.

I have totally given up on ALL organized religion. Period.

$ + Church = EVIL SHIT.

If you follow the basics, like "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" then NO ONE says boo about ANYbody else and everyone just tries to live their lives as good people. And if we all do that, and learn to look at our own lives first and live as good people, we would not need the business of church, would we?

5. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    religion is gay

6. GoneA

Gold Member

This is very true and it behooves everyone who professes Christianity to live by this mandate. The problem is, however, that living by this charge requires the practitioners of Christianity to make a great sacrifice (albeit living as a ‘true’ Christian is a sacrifice within itself) by altering personality traits that they’ve possessed for long periods of time. Judging and condemning others are attributes many people have no qualms about demonstrating; but, Jesus’ command ‘let he who is without sin cast the first stone’ speaks directly against such hypocritical behavior and, in a manner of speaking, is a tough pill to swallow.

A large part of Jesus’ ministry was to highlight the fact that sin is just that – sin. He often attempted to illuminate the concept of spiritual hypocrisy amongst ‘religious’ people; that is, the ultimate ineffectuality of sinners condemning sinners. In fact, in one passage of scripture he notes that it is impossible for one man to remove a speck from his friends eye when he, himself, has a beam (read: small piece of timber) in his.

The sooner more modern day Christians begin to realize this concept and, more importantly, live by it, the sooner they’ll be more of a help than harm. Even that goes back to the title of the Bishop’s sermon “Fan or Follower” – I think many people are perhaps ‘fans’ of Christianity and very few actually ‘follow’ it … Bishop Alfred Owens Jr. is no exception.

Actually, I disagree. Church (barring today’s usage of it) was not initially designed as a place for ‘religious’ people to gather and condemn the world. However, the original theory behind such an establishment was a place for true Christians to gather and propound the passionate Gospel of Christ. Thus, people who aren’t Christian would feel more than welcomed rather than made to feel as outcasts. And people who are Christian would have a continual support system … a resource, one might say.

7. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Gonnie--I said the BUSINESS of the Church. Not the church itself.

Thanks for your feedback. As I said, I am beyond over the church (read: organized religion) as it stands today.

8. solong

solong New Member

I too dislike the judgment I receive by some "fundamentalist" church members, who frankly don't care much for me because I don't belong to their church.

My own sister is this way.

Anybody who says that "Christians" are judgmental and narrow-eyed toward anybody who doesn't believe the way they do, however, are fools.

They are labelers, and they know nothing. They begin with a false premise, and then lump us all into categories. But-- then again-- I have some good gay friends who invariably, despite all their protests to the contrary-- do exactly the same thing!

So hypocrisy abounds, and it is not the venue of the "Christian Church" exclusively. We are humans, and by nature we are all hypocrites. If we don't like that, then we overcome our natural double-standard. We like to say we follow our conscience, but we all know that there is a different conscience for every person. I don't want you telling me what to think, so I don't think I have a right to expect you to think like I do, or else-- either!

And for those who just DESPISE Christians on the basis of their belief, according to a preconceived notion that all Christians are wicked hypocrites, those so-called "Christians" ignore the Bible! They ignore what Christ actiually taught! They despise the truth. They hate their enemies and love their friends.

And you are far more truthful, and in-line with Christ who commanded us NOT to judge one another. He said, who are you to judge another man's servant? To his own master, he stands, or falls.

So I thoroughly agree with every homosexual who has been mightily offended by these so-called "Christians."

If you were a wolf, and you wanted to hide, would you not put on the sheep's clothing and then hide amongst the sheep?

9. AMikkell

AMikkell New Member

The bible says a great many things about a great many things, and it does say that homosexuality is wrong. It also says some other bizarre things. My personal favourite is where it says pi, you know as in C=pi * d, equals three. No one listens to it when it says that; most people don't even know it says that. So why the focus on homosexuality? These people are using religion as an excuse to force thier beliefs on others in a socially acceptable manner, which is one of the lowest and most cowardly things imaginable.

10. dong20

Gold Member

That is exactly it.

Religion can be vehicle for good or for bad. sadly it seems, more commonly the latter, but in the final analysis that vehicle is still driven by people. To extend the analogy, I just think many of those people are newly qualified drivers, technically competent maybe, but without the experience to always exercise those skills with sufficient control, safety and consideration for other road users...especially when the road gets twisty.

If it wasn't religion it would quite probably be something else, but we're getting better, slowly, very slowly.

11. Irvy

Irvy Member

Albums:
    Unfortunately, when it came to translating the Bible in English, it turned out that God had different views on a lot of things that the church at the time didn't agree on. So, they took the word of the all knowing, all powerful, never wrong God they claimed to serve... and they editted him. They inserted phrases, they changed words, they damn well made up words in order to make the Bible fit with their doctrine. One of their changes was prohibiting homosexuality, and now we're in the situation that many influential people know that, but are afraid of stepping out and saying it, so for now, the church will continue to teach lies.

12. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sounds like a Good Witch Hunt is needed.

I'll bring the wooden stake, We'll bag the son of a bitch, then burn him at the stake.

Done. Problem solved.

OR...for you passive people, go over to Lovers Lane, get the cutsie Devel outfit on, and go and haunt him at his house.
    Don't stop till he's grabbing his chest.
    If he don't die from all that "SIN", then there are better methods available, that I wont say as I don't want to "offend anyone..."

13. Dude

Dude Member

Pfff! All I can say is 'Americans. tsk tsk tsk'

I go to a church that's accepting. Everyone sins, gay or straight. The Bible says gay acts (and even thoughts) are sinful, but so are many, many other sexual activities. And non-sexual activities, and thoughts. So whaddaya gonna do?

14. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
  15. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I resent that, DR... you take it back, right now, or I'll force a fist full of eucharist down your throat.

16. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

With all due respect Dude,

Any church, fraternal organization, country club, etc. which tells me that something I am by birthright is inherently wrong or "sinful" can simply fuck off.

So that includes the Bible in its existing form.

17. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Stronzo--if the fundies knew HALF the fun we have all the time, they'd be 1000 times MORE upset.

SINFUL indeed!

18. Freddie53

Gold Member

It has been mentioned and not really commented on that much of the King James Version and the Catholic Version of the Bbile were both translated into English and the particular words and phrases were selected to back up the particular church's dogma.

The reading of the original Hebrew and Greek comes up with different concepts in many ploces in the Bbile. Much of the laws in the Torah or first five books of the Bible were the lifestyle of the ancient Hebrews. It has very litle to do with people now except in tradition. They never were meant to do anything but explain proper day to day living at that time.

As for church, sometimes we have to look to find the right church. Sometimes we have to organize one where there is none that we can worship in because the belief system of all the surrounding churches are in our own opinions, bankrupt doctrines.

To accept the Bible only as the ancients understood God is to create a reliigon that is dead and the churches that follow it are dead as well.

19. Shelby

Gold Member

If you accent the fourth syllable instead of the third homophobia sounds like it could be someone's name.

20. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

You know, you have really been jumping in with some loaded stuff lately.

Draft saved Draft deleted