Homophobia

D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

Account Disabled
Media
Is homophobia a treatable condition, like so many other phobias?

If you happen to be homophobic, do you ever think in terms of a treatment, or are you simply cool with it?

Do you declare yourself as homophobic, that is put your cards on the table, or do you hide it for the sake of others? Hmm, perhaps if you hide it, you are not 100% homophobic?

Many guys here declare themselves as 100% straight. Are they potential homophobes? Or can you be 100% straight and not hate/despise the non-straight?

Do I make any wrong assumptions here?

nick1014

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Homophobia is a god awful word. It's loaded with all kinds of baggage and it's painfully bad as a descriptive term. It also tends to be a conversation stopper, along with "racism" or "Nazi". I guess it has its place, but I really can't stand it.

Hey, there's no doubting that lots of people have bad feelings about gays. Not at all. Some of it may be motivated out of fear, but not all. Fear is not the same as dislike, reprobation or revulsion. It's a complicated picture, and boiling it down to a simple, inaccurate formula isn't going to help move the ball. Yeah, there are ways to make the situation better, but thinking of it in terms of pathology is probably not the best way to win converts.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes you can be 100% str8 and not hate gays just like you can be a woman and not hate men or be white and not hate Asians.

I also think you can be 100% homophobic and not let people know just to avoid the hassle or disapproval.

Homophobia definitely can be overcome. When I was married I was homophobic. Now I'm a cocksucker. Problem solved! LOL

dj30905

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Homo (meaning same, but in this case, homosexual) and phobia (irrational or extreme fear). There has to be some underlying cause for homophobia. Like many other phobias, it is also quite possible to get over it. People generally fear what they don't understand. In this case, a man (or woman) may fear the unknowns associated with homosexuality because they may not understand it, or afraid of being one themself. Many fears are gotten over by exposure. Same can work in this case. It may also be that the homophobic person is afraid that their own sexuality is questionable and unsure of where they may really stand, but the society they are in may say it is a huge no-no. Just a few thoughts. Oh, and it is possible to be 100% straight and not homophobic. Possibly because of having gay friends (exposure), and having confidence in own sexuality.

Last edited:

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yes you can be 100% str8 and not hate gays just like you can be a woman and not hate men or be white and not hate Asians.

I also think you can be 100% homophobic and not let people know just to avoid the hassle or disapproval.

Homophobia definitely can be overcome. When I was married I was homophobic. Now I'm a cocksucker. Problem solved! LOL

Love that problem solving technique Big Dallas! :tongue:
C.B.:saevil:

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Nick,

Ditto Nick, Ann Rand was right about the power of the media. I don't think its a legitimate term...and pretty much used as hate speech. And ironically the term "hater" is used more by the person who is doing the hating. I think it's unfair to call someone who holds to the moral code of
their faith unfair. (Whether a religion is "homophobic"...is for another posting). .

Scot22

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cognitive behavioural therapy under the guidance of a registered psychologist is a useful tool in the treatment of most phobias,but homophobia is too hard a nut to crack.

sexplease

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
children are taught fear and hatred. These things do not come naturally.

The first 3 years or so, the personality is developed and formed, and pretty much it's just experience, fact and knowledge gathering after that.
Some people spend the rest of their lives re-adjusting to what is normal and natural and undoing the damage instilled from infancy and childhood.

we needa license to drive a car, but not to have children.
hmmm
maybe there should be a test.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
children are taught fear and hatred. These things do not come naturally.

The first 3 years or so, the personality is developed and formed, and pretty much it's just experience, fact and knowledge gathering after that.
Some people spend the rest of their lives re-adjusting to what is normal and natural and undoing the damage instilled from infancy and childhood.

we needa license to drive a car, but not to have children.
hmmm
maybe there should be a test.

Seeing how kids around my area are turned into racists I can agree with you. It is the parents and the siblings and the way the news is presented to them. And their friends.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wonder if homophobia ever had a different meaning than fear of gay people? Literally it means fear of man or men. I do think that many of us guys are fearful of each other. It's part of the reason there is hatred against gay folks. Since males are so competitive and distrustful of one another, loving someone of the same gender could be extremely threatening to many guys. This seems true to me except for how guys bond in the military and really end up caring for and protecting each other, but mostly without the sexual component.

Last edited:

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bingo. Fear. Good comments too Hung Jon.

Why is it that so many gay dudes want so desperately to believe that straight dudes are afraid they might be gay? Believe it or not, there are straight men in the world who have zero interest in other men sexually. To stubbornly think otherwise is just as narrow mindedly idiotic as it is when straights can't accept that some men find the sweaty hairy ass of another man arousing.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Why is it that so many gay dudes want so desperately to believe that straight dudes are afraid they might be gay? Believe it or not, there are straight men in the world who have zero interest in other men sexually. To stubbornly think otherwise is just as narrow mindedly idiotic as it is when straights can't accept that some men find the sweaty hairy ass of another man arousing.
If they don't care, why would they be homophobic? People are not ordinarily fearful of things they have no interest in.