Homosexuality and Testosterone

Do you think that Homosexuality decreases Testosterone hormone in men?

• Yes!

Votes: 24 9.7%
  • No!

Votes: 198 80.2%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 25 10.1%

• Total voters

B_Hamadim

Experimental Member
Media
i hate your posts and your fucked up views

you distill everything that is becoming more and more wrong with LPSG.

stop moaning about difference you religious nut and remember why it was you might have joined this site

Please stop attacking me, I only asked an inoffensive question.

flynn

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
As we age our testosterone production decreases. Many men in there 50's and older have low testosterone but I don't think these men who were hetro all of their lives are evolving into bi or homosexuals although I could be wrong.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Maybe a lack of testosterone could cause a homosexual to be the bottom (receiver) more often, but I don't understand the article's correlation between spatial relationships and sexual orientation.

Ummm, 'scuse me??? Believe me, I am all man and have plenty of testosterone.... yet, I luv bottoming.

Try again mate! :smile:

Oh, I do agree that many bottom enthusiasts are super-manly like yourself (slurp). I was just suggesting that a lack of testosterone may create erection difficulties and thus may make bottoming more convenient.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Please stop attacking me, I only asked an inoffensive question.

Well no, actually it is an offensive question, you might not have realised that, but it is. And in any case the study you linked to has nothing to do with the question you asked, so you're either being stupid, or mischievous, which is it ?

scottredleter

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's not the testosterone level of the person, but the testosterone level in the mother during critical times of gestation... So maybe it was low before birth at some critical time, but once the child is born, their own dna takes over.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Testosterone levels are definitely no way of telling, but then what's up with the effeminate behaviours of so many homosexual men? Is that just something they develop because that's the stereotype?

I'm not a behavioral psychologist, so I don't really know how to answer that.

I was a sissy as a boy who grew into an outwardly masculine male in adolescence. I wasn't conforming to any stereotypes as a child, I was just being myself. I did revert to much more stereotypically butch mannerisms after puberty in order to try and fit in better (not that it helped that much: I was never a popular kid in school).

Effeminate boys go through life as outcasts and are seen as undesirable. I can't imagine why anyone would actively choose to behave that way, least of all a child. If there was any choice at all in how I behaved, it was trying to avoid punishment by my parents and to be more socially acceptable to my peers, and that's when I butched it up.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Testosterone levels are definitely no way of telling, but then what's up with the effeminate behaviours of so many homosexual men? Is that just something they develop because that's the stereotype?

This has more to do with the structuring of the brain than with the levels of testosterone. The theory, which has been tested(but not with a large enough group to be completely verifiable)... is that gay male's brains are more similarly structured to that of a female in multiple ways. I won't get into to details, and honestly I don't remember them all at this particular moment... but they believe it has to do with a slightly different chromosomal configuration in that of the subject. In other words, there is an extra protein in the XY chromosomes. There have been no studies regarding females however the same(in reverse) is theorized to be the case in females.

All in all, the answer to your question, you phrased completely wrong even according to the link you posted, is a resounding No.

The adrenal gland and the hypothalamus(the sex center of the brain) are believed to be differently structured in gay males as opposed to straight ones as the rest of the brain is theorized to be.. and these can affect testosterone levels.. but it has been found for gay males to have higher testosterone levels than straight ones in most cases rather than smaller levels.. as has been already stated.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
As we age our testosterone production decreases. Many men in there 50's and older have low testosterone but I don't think these men who were hetro all of their lives are evolving into bi or homosexuals although I could be wrong.

No, they aren't. You're correct.

That's just andropause. The male version of menopause.

Andropause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B_KOKOBWARE

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's safe to say NO ONE here knows the answer. This is just speculation on facts not even proven. There could truly be no relation between Testosterone & homosexuality. There is no point in continuing discussion because it can be taken as offensive, attacking or singling out a homosexual person's Testosterone level. Which is completely disciminatory.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
This has more to do with the structuring of the brain than with the levels of testosterone. The theory, which has been tested(but not with a large enough group to be completely verifiable)... is that gay male's brains are more similarly structured to that of a female in multiple ways. I won't get into to details, and honestly I don't remember them all at this particular moment... but they believe it has to do with a slightly different chromosomal configuration in that of the subject. In other words, there is an extra protein in the XY chromosomes. There have been no studies regarding females however the same(in reverse) is theorized to be the case in females.

All in all, the answer to your question, you phrased completely wrong even according to the link you posted, is a resounding No.

The adrenal gland and the hypothalamus(the sex center of the brain) are believed to be differently structured in gay males as opposed to straight ones as the rest of the brain is theorized to be.. and these can affect testosterone levels.. but it has been found for gay males to have higher testosterone levels than straight ones in most cases rather than smaller levels.. as has been already stated.

The study you're referring to does not claim that this difference in brain structure or chromosomal arrangement is common to all gay men, merely that it may be observable in some gay men. As you pointed out the test group was small and the findings not entirely conslusive, though the theory is interesting.

D

deleted356736

I won't comment on the veracity of the article, but I do want to clarify that the title is about 'uterine' (ie pre-birth) testosterone levels: not pubescent or adult testosterone.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
*snip*

2) The gay guys you see that are effeminate, you know are gay. The gay guys you see that AREN'T effeminate -- police officers, fireman, construction workers, marines, truck drivers, etc. you don't realize are gay. So your sample is biased in that you are more likely to notice a man is gay if he is effeminate. If he is very masculine, you never question if he is gay. (Not just you, but society in general including, yes, many gays).

This is very true. I guess it also makes it more obvious that a man is gay if he puts on the effeminate charades. Where I live, there's lots of that going on because people are very proud of their community.

Effeminate boys go through life as outcasts and are seen as undesirable. I can't imagine why anyone would actively choose to behave that way, least of all a child. If there was any choice at all in how I behaved, it was trying to avoid punishment by my parents and to be more socially acceptable to my peers, and that's when I butched it up.

To me, all little boys are effeminate! How can a boy not look effeminate with such a soft face and a high-pitched voice?

I've also heard about this! Learned about it in biology class, that the hypothalamus is indeed different in gay males, but that it isn't always the reason. To be frank I don't think it's worth the effort of so many brilliant minds to try to understand something that's so complex and that is perfectly fine. It's not like it's a cancer and there needs to be a cure!

engorged

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not a behavioral psychologist, so I don't really know how to answer that.

I was a sissy as a boy who grew into an outwardly masculine male in adolescence. I wasn't conforming to any stereotypes as a child, I was just being myself. I did revert to much more stereotypically butch mannerisms after puberty in order to try and fit in better (not that it helped that much: I was never a popular kid in school).

good point, but i would say that even non effeminate gay adolescents feel like an outcast and "dont belong". So when these guys move into the gay enclaves, where they see many others having effeminate mannerisms, of course a good proportion will try to emulate - who doesnt want to belong after all.

When they do express themselves like this, is it a bad thing? Of course not. In most cases, it is not who these guys being wtruly are, but hey, at least they are in a position, where they can start some personal growth, finally learning to love who they are?

I detest this focus on fem and masculinity becuase underlying the discussion is pure discrimination.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
The study you're referring to does not claim that this difference in brain structure or chromosomal arrangement is common to all gay men, merely that it may be observable in some gay men.

You are correct, it does not(though the study pointed out that it's more common than not--at least within the parameters of the test group), and that is perhaps one of the most intriguing factors of it, at least to me. As I *was* answering the question originally asked, more specifically I was answering the one which I quoted.

I was pointing out that perhaps because of this, some gay men are effeminate and some are not. The ones who show these effeminate behaviors and thinking patterns would be the ones with the difference in brain structure, although they could also be adapting a particular behavioral pattern because they think that's the norm for gay individuals/want to fit in/etc as has been suggested, and the ones who do not fit the effeminate stereotype of course would be the ones with normally structured brains, or those who just don't conform to stereotypes.

A biological psychologist would tell you it was due to the biological reasons as stated above, a behavioral psychologist would say that it was due to the behavioral patterns as stated above, and an intelligent psychologist would state that both are probably factors of why there are effeminate gay guys. I'd go with option three.

As you pointed out the test group was small and the findings not entirely conslusive, though the theory is interesting.

Yes, quite interesting. .
Of course, sexuality in and of itself, and the reasons behind it, are far more vast than a simple biological, behavioral, or societal explanation can cover.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I've also heard about this! Learned about it in biology class, that the hypothalamus is indeed different in gay males, but that it isn't always the reason. To be frank I don't think it's worth the effort of so many brilliant minds to try to understand something that's so complex and that is perfectly fine. It's not like it's a cancer and there needs to be a cure!

I think it's certainly worth the effort. Proving that it's biological would end a lot of religious debate and accusations of it being a "lifestyle" choice. I didn't choose to be gay(not that I'm saying it'd be a bad choice to make even if it was only a choice), I simply always was... and looking back throughout my life it's abundantly evident in my psycho-sexual development.

At the same time, if they ever fully figured out the reasons behind homosexuality, the possible repercussions of that are incredibly terrifying. The idea of scientists, doctors, and anyone else for that matter deciding to turn off a gay gene in-utero or even before conception is just plain scary. Especially if it was such a wide practice so as to essentially eliminate all homosexuality in subsequent generations... which would essentially equate to mass genocide, minus the violence. However that could make for a very good fictional sci-fi thriller.

::gets out paper and pen::