Homosexuality outside the west

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Joseph, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Joseph

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Poland seems kinda homophobic...
    In the US it seems to be less of a deal.

Lately I read that in Japan, people might look odd at 2 guys being married, living together, but in terms of people just having gay sex, it seems to be okay.

I was just curious if that's true.
    Anyone knows about japan or other countries that have a different way to look at homosexuality?

2. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

It's about time to really LIVE AND LET LIVE.

How about practicing the Golden Rule which every religion/spiritual group maintains; in some wording or other.

3. Zayne

Zayne New Member

Albums:
    In the north, homosexuality is often misperceived as members of the sames sex huddling for warmth. In the south, I'm not too sure.

4. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    in california being gay carries so much status that str8 people pretend to be gay just to get better tables at top resturants, and xtra discounts from cute sales dudes at potterybarn.

once again we lead the nation....and the world

5. SlickWilly

SlickWilly Member

... perhaps in WeHo, The Castro, or parts of San Diego... just don't try to get married.

The recent unpleasantness that is Prop 8 shows that we still have a LONG way to go to achieve equality in this world. Everyone seems to think that Cali is all liberal, free-loving, chilled-out people. It's definitely not the case outside of the few aforementioned isolated areas. The (so-called) moral majority still seem intent upon pushing their heterosexual agenda and religious beliefs onto those who are different from them. Cali has more hate groups than any other state in the nation... beating out Texas & Florida for the honor.

Look at how many states have banned gay marriage, gay adoption, and any type of recognition of same-sex relationships ... and the lack of any legislation dealing with hate-based crimes.

It's still a cold, cruel world out there. I think many european countries are FAR ahead of the U.S. in terms of gay rights/equality. So many in this country are unwilling/unable to separate their beliefs from the ability to treat others (with different beliefs) with dignity & respect.

6. drido73

drido73 New Member

Homosexuality exists and nobody it can already deny in any country of the world! The DOUBLE MORAL of these countries that refuse to accept it is the one that brings about the rejection and the discrimination.
    In America every day is except that double moral, although, to accept the homosexual marriages they are based on the Bible and to make Policy they are based on its economic conveniences.
    And what is worse in America it is to continue DENYING that we paid TAXES, WE EXERT the VOTE, WE ARE PROFESSIONAL, AND WE THINK, the ONLY DIFFERENCE IS WE HAVE SEX OR ONLY WITH ANOTHER MAN OR ANOTHER WOMAN ACCORDING TO IT IS YOUR SEXUAL GUIDANCE OR ORIENTATION! :)

7. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    my comment was meant to be humorous, but true, and i see the rule of law as a small technicality which merely lags the social progress.

I think ur a great example of "glass half empty" mentality, with that outlook i don't see how u find the strength to go on.

a generation ago u wouldnt' even be able to say the words gay & marriage in the same sentence in public.

thanks for your pessimism (a painful state of mind which negatively colours the perception of life) But I'll still happily count every small step a victory.

8. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

Yep, I think you are right! Every time I impersonate a gay guy, I get a lot of attention from girls! Strange how that happens.
    :biggrin1:

9. invisibleman

Gold Member

Because no one says anything about it, does it mean homosexuality does not exist? It is all invisible. People see what they want to see.

10. sykray

sykray Active Member

Here in Thailand, it seems that there is a dichotomy. Men who identify with being feminine - often to the point of dressing as female or being transsexual are accepted as "women of the 2nd category" - that is not born as female but choose to be.

These "katoey" are generally accepted in society. Their preference for sex with "straight" men is accepted as natural - as they are "women". Men having sex with them are seen as having a more or less heterosexual relationship.

Possibly similarly, masculine women are accepted.

Men who have sex with men as the penetrator (orally or anally) are seen as "normal" and their partner is reagarded as "katoey".

It confuses many Thais if a fairly masculine man (Thai men are psychosocially more androgynous than their Western counterparts) prefers to have sex with men (rather than with whichever sex is agreeable or available). It is even more confusing if a masculine man enjoys sucking a penis or being fucked.

Some think this is an importation from the West.

In any case, the cultural rule is "live and let live". What people do sexually is nobody's business but the individuals involved. However, most parents would prefer to have heterosexual children.

You must also bear in mind that physical affection between men or between women in public is more acceptable than displays of physical affection between the sexes. Men hold hands, touch each other, stroke and caress, have their arms around other men's shoulders or waists. The traditional kiss is the "sniff-kiss" - you sniff someone - a bit like the social air kissing in the West. Men will sniff-kiss their male friends.

11. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You mean to say you don't get attention fro gays guys too? :confused::smile:

12. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

In the Czech Republic it's very mixed. People seem to be accepting but Czechs generally don't care about others except if it affects them personally. Young people tell me that being gay in school (I mean uni) is strange. You really DON'T want to come out in school because of the negative connotations. At the same time, everyone knows what the glory holes are for in the toilets.

I wonder about places like Egypt and Turkey. Turkey especially is male dominated. Women go indoors after 7pm and men roam the streets often arm in arm. Similar to Thailand, straight men can be found fucking a stranger. The bottom never sees his face, just bends over take a good fucking and before his pants are up, the guy is gone. Bottoms are not well regarded it seems but are necessary, let's say.

13. erratic

Gold Member

In Japan there is a long tradition of male homosexual behaviour - it was codified among the samurai - but, as with so many other things in Japan, this is generally known but not spoken of. Modern homosexual behaviour is, similarly, generally known but largely kept on the down-low as it is a man's familial duty to marry and have children. So I understand from my Japanese friends (who are all from Tokyo, so it may be quite different elsewhere in Japan).

Friends from (the Catholic parts of) the Philippines have told me that things are a bit similar to what sykray described for Thailand. There are traditional social categories for men who act like women and women who act like men, and it is understood that these people will have same-sex relationships (though that term really doesn't apply; English just doesn't have the correct terminology for their relationships).

People I know from the Czech Republic have said that it's the most western of the eastern European countries when it comes to civil rights and social acceptance of homosexuality. The cities are pretty accepting while the rural areas are not, as a general rule.

People I know from the Carribean have moved out because of how homophobic the cultures and governments are. I'm sure people who choose to stay don't think it's so bad, but I've heard some nasty stories - and saying "from the Carribean" is a huge generalization. I'm sure it's very different for gay people in , say, Cuba than it is in Jamaica.

I've known one gay person who moved from Pakistan; he said that society there is not at all accepting, though I've read that it's fairly easy to hide because public affection between the sexes is verboten and you often see same-sex couples walking around (who are ostensibly heterosexual).

That's more or less what I know personally. As far as civil rights go, here's a handy-dandy map (and one that travellers may want to check out before they go somewhere abroad).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/World_homosexuality_laws.png

Unfortunatley, it only lists criminal penalties and marriage rights - non-discrimination laws and trans rights are noticeably absent. It's my understanding that Costa Rica should be turning a darker shade of green in the next few years.

This map is a bit more comprehensive, but a bit more difficult to interpret.

http://ilga.org/map/LGBTI_rights.jpg

14. SlickWilly

SlickWilly Member

Fair enough... I guess the original post needed a smiley to tip me off to your humorous intentions.

I unfortunately live outside the bubble, in one of "those" areas where a majority of the community is ultra-uptight, conservative, & very religious. The election (and Prop 8, in particular) was one of the nastiest campaigns I've ever seen. Reading the comments in the local newspaper and online, as well as seeing it on the street corners gets to you & it tends to get very depressing. Sorry 'bout that...

I am hopeful for the future. This week could bring a much-needed victory, or a crushing defeat. For now, equality is not going to happen without the court's help. As for the people, I think it'll be another generation or two before they (i.e. a majority) start to come around.

Yes, there's more to life than just gay marriage... but the events of the last few months DO let you know where you stand, in the grand scheme of things. I never had an issue affect me this deeply before... and I don't know why... I'm not married, and don't know that I will ever get married. I guess it would just be nice to know that I could, if the opportunity presented itself.

Yep, I've been called "Mr. Glass-is-Half-Empty" before. Sad, but true. Just doing my part to ease into the role...

15. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    ur really good at it too dude.....ur doing it now right? lol

16. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Hung Jon's just so cute. How can anyone NOT find him attractive? :veryhappy:

17. rusty__

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    all good here in australia just as long as you dont try to get married coz it wont happen. Its mardi gras soon in sydney and the huge amount of straight people and families that attend is great to see and shows that apart from our politicians that most of the australian community are not homophobes!

18. Beachboy19

Beachboy19 New Member

US looks pretty backward from Canada, no offense.

19. Beachboy19

Beachboy19 New Member

No, you dont.

20. D_Mylor Mentallydaft

D_Mylor Mentallydaft Account Disabled

ehh culture is what it, is sub cultures to, but thats just the way of the world no matter where you are. the way you walk down one street isn't the way you should walk down em all. some say its sad you gotta hide who you are, some say that stuff ain't for public places, most just look at their feet and ignore it.

#20 D_Mylor Mentallydaft, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted