Homosexuality

hungitaliano

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
10% is the commonly quoted figure, based largley on a number of surveys including a famous one by Kinsey.

The figure is dependant on what you define as homosexual. I recal reading a recent survey that found approx 10% say they have had sexual contact with a partner of the same sex. Around 6% have regualr sex with partner(s) of the same sex. And 3% are in a same sex relationship that has lasted over 5 years.

Irvy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's impossible to actually know, because the question requires people to be certain and honest!

For any survey, you rely on the answers of the people you ask. Asking a question like "Are you gay/homosexual", amongst those who are you will find these groups (not a complete list, of course).

1) Out and proud gay men, who will only be too happy to say that they are gay

2) Gay men, sure they're gay, but don't want to proclaim it to the world. Is out to his friends and family, but doesn't feel it's anyone stopping him in the street's business (Says no).

3) Gay, but not out at all. Says no

4) Gay, but secretly. Has wife and children, married out of social pressure. Says no.

5) Confused, doesn't know whether he's gay, or if it's just a phase. Says no.

So there we have 5 sample groups taken of typical "gay types". 4 out of 5 would say no if they were asked in the street about their sexuality, and whether or not they were gay. The percentage figures we hear can never be accurate, because society as it is now still pushes people towards outwardly identifying as straight.

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In every major city i've ever lived in, it seemed everyone was gay or bi.
I realize that is just a perception.
I have also lived in teeny tiny little hamlets where NOBODY was gay but me
and some other closet cases.

I think it was well said by Irvy...we may never know because people
are so dishonest about their orientation.

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by hungitaliano+May 26 2005, 03:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hungitaliano &#064; May 26 2005, 03:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>10% is the commonly quoted figure, based largley on a number of surveys including a famous one by Kinsey.

The figure is dependant on what you define as homosexual. I recal reading a recent survey that found approx 10% say they have had sexual contact with a partner of the same sex. Around 6% have regualr sex with partner(s) of the same sex. And 3% are in a same sex relationship that has lasted over 5 years.
[post=314795]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

Ok .. I knew I&#39;d seen it somewhere too. For all I know it could have been on another post in here. I forget now.
*glances over at hungitaliano, and suddenly loses his ability to speak... again*

<!--QuoteBegin-Dr Rock
@May 26 2005, 07:34 AM
I dunno about the rest of the world, but homosexuality is pretty damn common in MY house.
[post=314816]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Ditto. I just wish homosexual ACTS were a bit more common.

*LOL*

Alley Blue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by txquis@May 26 2005, 02:08 PM
In every major city i&#39;ve ever lived in, it seemed everyone was gay or bi.
I realize that is just a perception.
I have also lived in teeny tiny little hamlets where NOBODY was gay but me
and some other closet cases.

I think it was well said by Irvy...we may never know because people
are so dishonest about their orientation.
[post=314840]Quoted post[/post]​

**nods head in agreement**
I don&#39;t know about the town everyone else lives in, but here in the big city, its would be weird to find someone who is&#39;nt a little bit of a homosexual.
I get more come-ons from straight appearing men ( girlfriend/wife right beside them.........but there head is turned) , then those who are obviously gay.

A funny thought thats been going through my mind recently:
Wife comes home one day to find her husband having loud, wild, sweaty, man on man sex&#33; :wow:

I can easily see this scenerio becoming a reality with some of the guys that live around here........

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I remember reading sometime ago that 10 percent of the population is homosexual meaning that they have a definite mental sexual preference for people of their own gender exclusively. And that this preference is strong enough that they willl not be able to function successfully in a heterosexual relationship. Some can consumate the relationship and some (I have witnessed this) got married out of pressure from family and they were not able to consumate the marriage because they just couldn&#39;t do it. And the marriage was annulled and it is on record that the reason was no sexual intercourse ever took place.

I also read in this same source that ten percent of the population is so straight that they can&#39;t expermiment, have a gay relationship on the side etc.

And this is where our confusion begins:

Eigthy percent, that is eight peole our of ten. of younge people in a classroom of 25, 18 or nineteen teens sitting in a classroom are capable of functioning either way. Some have a slight or more than slight preference for one gender or the other, mostly straight. But this 80 percent can go either way under certain conditions. These are the guys that participate in ciricle jerks and do the I&#39;ll give you a blow job if you will give me a blow job. Bottom line: Had this 80 percent been raised in a total homosexual environment the vast majority would be very content with who ever they ended up with as their partner.

My personal belief is that about half of this 80 percent have a strong leaning to being straight, but can and will engage in homosexual behavior and also wil find some in their own gender sexually attravement. The other half of this 80 percent are truly bisexual in that they don&#39;t really have a true sexual perference. They find some people of both genders sexually attractive. They probably have a wife and they don&#39;t normally cheat with either gender taking their marriage vows seriously.

For the record the preceding paragraph is just personal opinion. It is not based on any one study. It is just my observation of 54 years anda reading various articles about homosexuality. The first rest of the post was from a specific conclusion based on scientific studies from about 20 years ago.

The fundie religious right know this. It is the 80 percent that the fundies are worried about. It is not the 10 percent who are gay, They are scared shitless that the 80 % will bolt hetreosexual behavior and engage in homosexual behavior exclusively.

Irvy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I&#39;m not sure it&#39;s necessarily people not being honest. I think it&#39;s a mix of people who don&#39;t know themselves for sure, or are uncomfortable saying so, or just don&#39;t feel it&#39;s anyone&#39;s business.

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
agreed.
I knew you meant that, i&#39;m just not always clear when i&#39;m typing.
:D

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Freddie53@May 26 2005, 02:50 PM
I remember reading sometime ago that 10 percent of the population is homosexual meaning that they have a definite mental sexual preference for people of their own gender exclusively. And that this preference is strong enough that they willl not be able to function successfully in a heterosexual relationship. Some can consumate the relationship and some (I have witnessed this) got married out of pressure from family and they were not able to consumate the marriage because they just couldn&#39;t do it. And the marriage was annulled and it is on record that the reason was no sexual intercourse ever took place.

I also read in this same source that ten percent of the population is so straight that they can&#39;t expermiment, have a gay relationship on the side etc.

And this is where our confusion begins:

Eigthy percent, that is eight peole our of ten. of younge people in a classroom of 25, 18 or nineteen teens sitting in a classroom are capable of functioning either way. Some have a slight or more than slight preference for one gender or the other, mostly straight. But this 80 percent can go either way under certain conditions. These are the guys that participate in ciricle jerks and do the I&#39;ll give you a blow job if you will give me a blow job. Bottom line: Had this 80 percent been raised in a total homosexual environment the vast majority would be very content with who ever they ended up with as their partner.

My personal belief is that about half of this 80 percent have a strong leaning to being straight, but can and will engage in homosexual behavior and also wil find some in their own gender sexually attravement. The other half of this 80 percent are truly bisexual in that they don&#39;t really have a true sexual perference. They find some people of both genders sexually attractive. They probably have a wife and they don&#39;t normally cheat with either gender taking their marriage vows seriously.

For the record the preceding paragraph is just personal opinion. It is not based on any one study. It is just my observation of 54 years anda reading various articles about homosexuality. The first rest of the post was from a specific conclusion based on scientific studies from about 20 years ago.

The fundie religious right know this. It is the 80 percent that the fundies are worried about. It is not the 10 percent who are gay, They are scared shitless that the 80 % will bolt hetreosexual behavior and engage in homosexual behavior exclusively.
[post=314854]Quoted post[/post]​

I have more than 54 years of experience, and I believe you are exactly on target.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Irvy@May 26 2005, 10:37 AM

1) Out and proud gay men, who will only be too happy to say that they are gay

2) Gay men, sure they&#39;re gay, but don&#39;t want to proclaim it to the world. Is out to his friends and family, but doesn&#39;t feel it&#39;s anyone stopping him in the street&#39;s business (Says no).

3) Gay, but not out at all. Says no

4) Gay, but secretly. Has wife and children, married out of social pressure. Says no.

5) Confused, doesn&#39;t know whether he&#39;s gay, or if it&#39;s just a phase. Says no.

So there we have 5 sample groups taken of typical "gay types".

You left out a significant group: guys who suck cock and get ass-fucked on the DL, but truly think they&#39;re straight. Face it: if someone habitually seeks out sexual relations with men because he finds men sexually attractive, he&#39;s not straight. Bi or gay, but not straight.

Knight

Experimental Member
Media
My uncle is the only gay man (or relative, there are no female homosexuals in my family either). He is a Nelly. I think because he suppressed it for a while and then it just overtook him. He&#39;s basically a woman without tits and the downstairs bits. I&#39;ve seen him dressed as a woman a few times too, he has lesbian friends, a few of whom are hot.

It isn&#39;t common in my family. And my grandad was very upset because it was his only son and he was gay...also my uncle got blood poisoning recently, and still has it...is that caused from anal sex? I think it is but I didnt want to ask my grandad that.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Knight@May 26 2005, 03:29 PM
My uncle is the only gay man (or relative, there are no female homosexuals in my family either).
[post=314993]Quoted post[/post]​

That you are aware of.

And I&#39;m not even going to address the "nelly" thing. And btw? getting fucked in the ass doesn&#39;t necessarily explain away all the world&#39;s illness and disease.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by ChimeraTX@May 26 2005, 05:23 PM
IMO, 10% sounds a little high. I think 5% is probably closer. Does anyone have any studies?
[post=314991]Quoted post[/post]​

Self-report studies are useless for many of the reasons already listed. The only studies on homosexuality that IMO have any power are the twin studies that go to prove that it can be inherited like any other trait.

Here is dissertation that is a meta-analysis of Twin Studies:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/timt/papers/twin_studies/