Honoring tillys new avatar

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Pecker, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

2. tillyrox

tillyrox New Member

Albums:
    Ok, i was actually gonna start a vegemite appreciation thread, cos it is the best thing in the whole entire world. :yourock:

Ok now that guy who did that dare pecker, is an idiot. even tho i love it so much i would never take a huge spoon full like that, not on my first go anyway. it is a very very unique taste, i was trying to explain to people what it tastes like, and the only way i could describe it was it tastes like vegemite.

Its sorta really salty, it is concerntrated yeast extract what ever the hell that means. Now the people who i talk to regularly now im a vegemite nutter, so i could go on for ages about the beautifullness of it. But i wont.

On your first try you need to be careful. Take a little bit, or even do the smart thing and spead it on a bit of buttered bread or toast. Maybe not too thick on your first go.

A person i know made the biggest mistake you could she thought it was chocolate and took a huge spoonfull, she said she has never thrown up like it ever in her life.

So yeah from the newly dubbed "Vegemite Missie" i warn u be careful and start small, it is a very very unique taste with nothing quite like it.

Best thing ever.

Luv Ya Pecker
    Tilly
    (Vegemite Missie)

3. Dorset

Dorset New Member

Albums:
    In the UK we have Marmite (same thing, different name) and Tilly's right, it's the best thing ever

It's true though that you either love it or hate it. I think it's hereditery as my little girl has eaten it from the age of about 6 months

For all the yanks out there it has a strength of taste similar to Beef stock and can be used to flavour mince but it is made from the remains of hops left over after they have been used to make beer which makes it 100% vegetarian

4. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Frank Walker originally touted Vegemite as "Delicious on sandwiches and toast, and improves the flavour of soups, stews and gravies". In an effort to bring it into modern times, vegemite.com.au gives plenty of recipies for grills, stir-fries and risottos.

Please note how LITTLE Vegemite appears in each recipie. If you try to eat the stuff by the spoonful, it's like eating a spoonful of salt or chili. Vegemite is NOT a food, it's a condiment.

I didn't grow up on the stuff, but came to appreciate it as a college student in Australia. (With all that vitamin B, it's a great hangover cure.)

Butter a piece of rye toast, and spread Vegemite THINLY on top. You'll find it has a kind of beefy, nutty, beery taste that goes well with cheddar cheese, avocado, or sweet potato. I use it to make gravy for vegetarian friends.

The advertising jingle for Vegemite is the Australian equivalent of the Oscar Mayer wiener song.

We're happy little Ve-ge-mites
    As bright as bright can be
    We all enjoy our Ve-ge-mite
    For breakfast, lunch and tea
    Our mummies say we're growing stronger
    Every single week
    Because we love our Ve-ge-mite
    We all adore our Ve-ge-mite
    It puts a rose in every cheek!

In 'Strine, anal sex is sometimes referred to as getting Vegemite on the saveloy, which is the lingo we used in high school when sniggering behind the shelter shed.

hb8
    Adopted Australian and Vegemite convert.

5. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Too bloody right, Tilly. The guy's a fucking idiot.

Australians look on foreigners who balk at Vegemite the same way the French look on foreigners who think French cheese smells like puke. Some people just don't appreciate the finer things in life.

6. tillyrox

tillyrox New Member

Albums:
    :toast: Here here

Vegemite is something that has to be learned to appreciate, u dont like it straight away, my first solid food was vegemite on toast when i was a baby, me and my brother grew up on it. Not even all aussies like it, my other siblings won touch it, so must be like an inherited thing, lol

I was surprised the other day when i could recall the whole vegemite song, its up there with aussie greats like advance australia fair, waltzing matilda, cmon aussie cmon, and of course good old slim dusty (RIP)

Luv Ya
    Tilly

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

:puke:

Just to clarify, for Freaknasty's sake, the site is Make Me King dot com - visitors make dares to the MMK 'staff' concerning anything from snorting cayenne pepper to stapling the scrotum to the thigh.

Freaknasty accepted the dare to eat a jar of Vegemite, which took over 6 weeks to arrive from Australia. Little did the poor fool know....

:puke:

8. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Like Tillyrox and I said, he's a fucking idiot.

He's also a fucking idiot for ordering the stuff from Australia. There are three supermarkets within 5 blocks of me that stock Vegemite. The Amish Market on 45th, the Morton-Williams Associated on 2nd at 48th, and the Food Emporium on 2nd at 50th.

Vegemite rules!

hb8

P.S. Did Faceking manage to staple his scrotum to his thigh? I could probably do it for him.

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted