Hoo Rah for atheists!

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, Cokecan89, I attend a Catholic School because I feel that the people there are more reputable than people who go elsewhere. I attend a school mass once a month. I do not agree with what they are saying, but I show my respect by not painting the statue of Jesus in the Main Foyer purple and green, standing respectfully and quietly during morning and lunch prayers, and not bashing the Father at our school's Parish. So don't to me about not having respect for others, please.

Furthermore, I don't hate Muslims, Jews, followers of various Eastern Religions, or any other religion because some dude in a fancy hat told me to, or because their beliefs are not compatible with what would be mine.

Finally, almost all religious people are homophobic. I have yet to meet one person on the entire planet in real life that both believes in God and accepts my lifestyle.

Finally, to the agnostics, you didn't get a smaller hoorah, yes in terms of font size, but more as an aside. saying both would have interupted the flow of the post, and agnostics get just as big a hoorah becuase they dont bother asking the wuestion in the first place.

And yes, "Progressive religious" is an oxymoron surpassed in hilarity only by "Microsoft Works".

B_bi_mmf

Expert Member
Media
Isn't it correct to say that we have no idea if there is a higher power/something more out there or if there is not.

We can't prove that there is a god (any god, not just the most popular gods we hear about) and we can't disprove it either.

As an agnostic i wish to point out that the issue of plausibility is equal when trying to venture into the unexplained....any 'evidence' can be argued eitherway when there is insufficient proof....no evidence that exists is conclusive...and many agnostics believe that truth will out only after death unless of course there is no life after death....it is all quaint and mysterious and has a beautiful air to it. AGNOSTIC ROCKS!!!

There is nothing wrong with the judgement of agnostics any more than that of those that choose to follow others or those that choose to ignore possibility.

Just because two things are conceivable does not imply that they make equal sense, given the evidence or lack thereof and our powers of logical thinking and understanding of the origins of religious myths.

Last edited:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just because two things are conceivable does not imply that they make equal sense, given the evidence or lack thereof and our powers of logical thinking and understanding of the origins of religious myths.

I agree, but making sense of things requires understanding....the point here is obviously that there is too little in fact to be able to understand and then there is the fact that logical thinking is how we tend to look at questions therefore not ruling out that the answers we seek are answerable from a lateral pov.

darkbond007

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your post itself is disrespectful to those who follow a religion so so much for respecting everyone.

It doesnt work that way.

For rational thinkers a person and their beliefs are two separate things. I dont respect your belief in a "creator" but as a person I can still respect you. How you take it is not my problem though.

If someone posted a thread on "How great God is" you would not see a problem with it would you? Using your rationale I should then be offended.

Last edited:

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It doesnt work that way.

For rational thinkers a person and their beliefs are two separate things. I dont respect your belief in a "creator" but as a person I can still respect you. How you take it is not my problem though.

If someone posted a thread on "How great God is" you would not see a problem with it would you? Using your rationale I should then be offended.

precisely.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
The thing that ruins atheism (and agnosticism) for me is the insistence of the self-described members of these groups setting rules for what atheists and agnostics think about religion and religious people.

Where's the I-don't-give-a-fuck-about-any-so-called-religion-or-anti-religion group meetings held?

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I'd like to think im a spiritual person, not religious. I believe in a greater being, i just dont think he invests as much into every detail of our lives good or bad. I think a lot of life is what we make of it and not everything is a blessing or an attack so to speak.

I find it insulting when people assume if you believe in God you must be lower, immature or uneducated compared to them. It shows how little tolerance for people they really have, which indicates their immaturity.

Capitolhillguy

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am agnostic with atheistic leanings. Despite this fact I must confess that for most of my life I was religious.I even have a Masters of Divinity from a Baptist seminary!!! Most of my friends and family members are still religious. Therefore, while I am very secure in my own beliefs ( or lack thereof), I find it healthiest to be very non judgmental and non proselytizing towards believers. But for the grace of fate there go I and for so many years I, myself, was a person of religious faith. Sustained scientific inquiry and reading a 1000 books in four years weaned me of religious beliefs. I must confess, I derived much joy in making a Jew cry out to Jesus while giving him head:) Is that wrong of me?

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Your post itself is disrespectful to those who follow a religion so so much for respecting everyone.

Sorry pal... delusions do not deserve respect.
The mentally deranged deserve compassion, they deserve humane treatment and they deserve a cure if it can be found...
but the idiocies they 'believe' in and "follow" are stupid, ignorant and well proven to be dangerous.

If you 'believers' could only be trusted to keep your imaginary friend to yourselves, that would be one thing... but no, you gotta try and force that shit down everyone else's neck thru law, thri takning over shcool borads, thru flooding the airwaves with your notions that NOT believing in your foolishness make people 'evil"... with your flying planes into buildings and shooting doctors in their OWN CHURCH....

Yeah- you ain't gonna get my respect for espousing ideas that are baseless, unproven, and foster a magical world view... on espousing ideas that strive to refute science, which has done more to improve the human condition than all religions thru all time put together.

And if you can't understand WHY delusional thinking is dangerous, divisive and dumb... well, see? That inability to understand the plain truth of real evidence is why I can not offer your position any respect.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I am not an atheist, per se... I am an agnostic, which means I do not form beliefs about that for which I have no evidence.

Thus, I have no problem with people who think there is, or may be, an unknowable God.
I think that is a mature and honest position.

But when people who have zero evidence start making pronouncements on what God is and what God wants, that is delusional.

...And that is always how the killing starts.

Mark_UK

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The reason athiests don't respect religious people is mainly because you have to be pretty delusional to think that any religious text makes any kind of sense, and delusional people are not attractive and religious people are often the most bigoted, hatefilled, spiteful, intolerant and ignorant people you could possibly meet.
They are constantly trying to convert you to their way of thinking, under the somewhat misguided impression that the only reason you think they are insane is that you havn't read their particular religious text enough times.I just say to religious people who try to convert me 'yes I have read your bible/random religious text and that is why I am an etheist and I do not wish to be associated with your delusions, go away quickly before I set the dogs on you'

Last edited:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hoo Rah for those who live free!
Hoo Rah for those who live without fear!
Hoo Rah for those who respect others always!
Hoo Rah for those who do not buy into manipulative lies!
Hoo Rah for those who can appreciate the beauty in all things of life!

Hoo Rah for ATHEISTS!

and Agnostics. You get Hoo Rahs too.

Bible Thumpers: Don't be hatin' on me. I never bashed you here. I merely pointed out the benifits of not following a religion.
i'm an athiest.
i know a lot of athiests.
and being an athiest never stopped anyone being a narrow minded, judgemental, death fearing, disrespectful arsehole with no appreciation of the wonder of life.

i'll savbe my hoo rahs for individuals who deserve them.

Mark_UK

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Being an athiest doesn't stop you being an arsehole, it just means you don't go round trying to convert other people into arseholes.
Don't expect me to be respectful of something that is as dangerous, ignorant and divisive as organised religion.Yes i do look down on religious people mainly because they deserve it, with the possible exception of one guy I know who is christian but he never says a word about it, never tries to browbeat anyone into following his beliefs, he lives as a true christian and does as much good as he can for people who need help.

Last edited:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Being an athiest doesn't stop you being an arsehole, it just means you don't go round trying to convert other people into arseholes.
i've seen plenty of athiests trying to convert.
so often i've seen people's faith poopoo'd and ridiculed as athiests try to mock the belief out of someone.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I prefer to be called a Freethinker. The A-word is too provocative. Remember Madalyn Murray O'Hair!
I can never understand why this is so. Every time I tell someone I'm an atheist, they immediately proceed to "enlightening" me on why my "religion" and views are wrong. Well, it isn't a religion and as such doesn't have a doctrine. You can't assume anything about an atheist's beliefs (outside of disbelieving in a deity). So don't go providing me with "scientifc" evidence as to why the Big Bang Theory is completely invalid when you're not even sure whether I believe in that or not. And I can celebrate any holiday I want for any reason I want. I don't need someone telling me I can't give/receive gifts on Christmas or even watch Christmas specials simply because I'm an atheist. Too bad, I can and will do it.

No need to put down religious people though. Essentially, they have great ideals.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i'm an athiest.
i know a lot of athiests.
and being an athiest never stopped anyone being a narrow minded, judgemental, death fearing, disrespectful arsehole with no appreciation of the wonder of life.

i'll savbe my hoo rahs for individuals who deserve them.
Agreed.

Mark_UK

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I can never understand why this is so. Every time I tell someone I'm an atheist, they immediately proceed to "enlightening" me on why my "religion" and views are wrong. Well, it isn't a religion and as such doesn't have a doctrine. You can't assume anything about an atheist's beliefs (outside of disbelieving in a deity). So don't go providing me with "scientifc" evidence as to why the Big Bang Theory is completely invalid when you're not even sure whether I believe in that or not. And I can celebrate any holiday I want for any reason I want. I don't need someone telling me I can't give/receive gifts on Christmas or even watch Christmas specials simply because I'm an atheist. Too bad, I can and will do it.

No need to put down religious people though. Essentially, they have great ideals.
No they don't have great ideals, they have exactly the same ideals as everyone else, this is the 'only religious people have morals' bullshit. Religious ideals come from the childish belief that if they don't follow the rules laid down by some ficticious sky fairy then he will punish them forever, this is cowardly grovelling its not having morals or ideals. athiests have the same moral compass as everyone else, only they don't need to be told what to think or how to behave because they are not living in fear of being punished.
religious ideas do need putting down because they are dangerous, they encourage intolerance and they give support for lunatic fundamentalists.

Last edited:

D_Fowlmouth Chickenchoker

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I have the most respect for people who search for the truth on their own - No matter what conclusion they may end up believing. We don't have any real answers or clues for that matter. Just facts, fiction and traditions.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No they don't have great ideals, they have exactly the same ideals as everyone else, this is the 'only religious people have morals' bullshit. Religious ideals come from the childish belief that if they don't follow the rules laid down by some ficticious sky fairy then he will punish them forever, this is cowardly grovelling its not having morals or ideals. atheists have the same moral compass as everyone else, only they don't need to be told what to think or how to behave because they are not living in fear of being punished.
Their piety is exactly why they're more likely to follow these ideals. Ignoring the extremists and conservatives, religious people tend to be very kindhearted. I attend(ed) a Catholic school and whilst virtually unaccepted, I was treated well and with respect. There were also several philanthropical events they hosted.

And no, this isn't "only religious people have morals" bullshit. This is "religious people are more likely to adhere to their morals because they're pious" 'bullshit'. I may consider them ignorant based on their views on certain topics, but that doesn't mean we need to disrespect them. Deflate your head a bit and learn to be a bit more tolerant.

Mark_UK

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Pious: marked by sham or hypocrisy : marked by self-conscious virtue

Or

a: marked by or showing reverence for deity and devotion to divine worship b: marked by conspicuous religiosity <a hypocrite&#8212;a thing all pious words and uncharitable deeds &#8212; Charles Reade>
Like I said I am not going to show repect to a hypocrite who spends his life grovelling to some non existant sky fairy for fear of being punished, thats just pathetic.

Last edited: