Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i have a friend who is as much an athiest as i am.

about 20 years ago her baby daughter was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer...we're talking maybe 10% chance of survival.
sitting in that hospital, week after week, watching her child, she started praying. she talked to 'god', made a deal, promised and begged and cried.

looking back she thinks it was silly...but in that moment, for the sake of her sanity, to give her the strength to keep going, she believed in god.
and she got through it.

is that a shitty, ignorant, bigotted thing for her to have done?
or is it a shitty, ignorant, bigotted preson who would judge her for that?

it's a tough world and if people need something to get through {be it antidepressants, therapy, good friends, a loving family or prayer} then i'm not going to piss on them for it.

i'll reserve my condemnation for the individuals who are shitty people
Beautiful story, and awesome message!

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i have a friend who is as much an athiest as i am.

about 20 years ago her baby daughter was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer...we're talking maybe 10% chance of survival.
sitting in that hospital, week after week, watching her child, she started praying. she talked to 'god', made a deal, promised and begged and cried.

looking back she thinks it was silly...but in that moment, for the sake of her sanity, to give her the strength to keep going, she believed in god.
and she got through it.

is that a shitty, ignorant, bigotted thing for her to have done?
or is it a shitty, ignorant, bigotted preson who would judge her for that?

it's a tough world and if people need something to get through {be it antidepressants, therapy, good friends, a loving family or prayer} then i'm not going to piss on them for it.

i'll reserve my condemnation for the individuals who are shitty people
That was great. You're the most insightful obese, 40 y/o trucker, with a BO problem and only 5 of your teeth left, that I've ever encountered.

sexplease

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I most assuredly appreciate the Life force of the universe, but, as a sentient and reasoning conglomerate of atoms, I do not fear the unknown and thus, have no need for any failed philosophies in the form of cults, dogmas or religions.
Thank you, and have a pleasant life.

B_quietguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
God-infused and godless universes are nowhere close in terms of plausibility, based on the evidence. If someone doubts both equally, then I question their judgment.

I don't doubt both claims equally. I just doubt the former far more than the latter. If forced to choose, I'd believe in a godless universe. We have no evidence or proof for or against either a god-infused or godless universe, so I remain agnostic.

clear

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
no, PEOPLE cause suffering, PEOPLE go on crusades, PEOPLE condemn unmarried mothers.
people followed hitler, people supported stalin, people did plenty without faith playing a part.
human nature is brutal and when we rally under a banner to do evil, is it the blame of the banner?
people choose.
if there is no god then the ''teachings'' are but the word of man.
and man chooses to follow. to warp all causes to his own ends.
the path of love and the path of hate are both walked under the same banner.

with or without faith, we're the angels and the demons.

You go girl!

I could not have said it better myself. :wink:

T.D.

Ciao-