Horror Books

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I guess it's that time of year where I'm in the mood to read some horror novels, since it's somewhat close to Halloween. Can anyone recommend me some books that either scared the hell out of you or creep you out?

I've read a bunch of Stephen King books-Misery, The Shining, Carrie, etc.
Also, The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Ghost Story, and a ton of others.

I went on Amazon and read reviews of this book called "Ghosts" by Noel Hynd. Many reviewers said it was frightening. Anyone read or heard of it?

braumeister

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
H. P. Lovecraft.

I'd say you can take your pick, just about anything by him would work. I have a collection of all his fiction stories published a few years ago by Arkham House. I'm not sure it is in print anymore. He did write one science fiction story and a few fantasy stories (his Dreamland stories), but the rest of his stuff is mostly horror.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
H. P. Lovecraft.

I'd say you can take your pick, just about anything by him would work. I have a collection of all his fiction stories published a few years ago by Arkham House. I'm not sure it is in print anymore. He did write one science fiction story and a few fantasy stories (his Dreamland stories), but the rest of his stuff is mostly horror.

What he said.

Watch out for August Derleth masquerading as Lovecraft, though.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I enjoy horror novels but it's very rare that I find one that I see as a good read overall, horror writers seem to either be great with plots or to be great with characterisation, it's not often that the two coincide.
Stephen King can really get inside the way a person thinks but some of his plots are rather silly, James Herbert sometimes fails on both counts but now and again he manages to pull both things together and write well and throw out a plot that is scary and makes sense, Clive Barker started out well, his plots were coherent and his writing was good then he gave us weaveworld which to be frank was trash. Graham Masterton's plots in the right hands could be terrifying but his writing tends to be a little basic. I could go on and on but I won't, my point is there are very few horror novels which hit all cylinders.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I LOVE THE STAND. I've read it twice. And I've read Frankenstein and above all other books The Stand is the BEST.

Same here. I really liked The Stand.

I also enjoyed Stephen King's 4-part novella, "Different Seasons." 3 of the 4 stories in the novella were made into movies. That's how good it was.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some of my fav horror books are...

Silence of the Lambs (read it 3 times)

The Talisman and its sequel, Black House, by Stephen King & Peter Straub

The Omen was also good

I also liked Interview with the Vampire (none of Ann Rice's other books compared)

Another author you may want to check out is DEAN KOONTZ. Some of his books are kinda "formula", but some really stood out: Lightening, Watchers, Odd Thomas, and Mr. Murder.