Horror Books

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ital8, Sep 16, 2007.

1. ital8

ital8 New Member

I guess it's that time of year where I'm in the mood to read some horror novels, since it's somewhat close to Halloween. Can anyone recommend me some books that either scared the hell out of you or creep you out?

I've read a bunch of Stephen King books-Misery, The Shining, Carrie, etc.
    Also, The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Ghost Story, and a ton of others.

I went on Amazon and read reviews of this book called "Ghosts" by Noel Hynd. Many reviewers said it was frightening. Anyone read or heard of it?

2. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bently Little wrote THE RETURN as well as some other novels that I rather like.

Richard Matheson's I AM LEGEND will be re made as a movie for the third time.

Dan Simmon's SUMMER OF NIGHT was a good page turner.

3. braumeister

braumeister New Member

Albums:
    H. P. Lovecraft.

I'd say you can take your pick, just about anything by him would work. I have a collection of all his fiction stories published a few years ago by Arkham House. I'm not sure it is in print anymore. He did write one science fiction story and a few fantasy stories (his Dreamland stories), but the rest of his stuff is mostly horror.

4. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

What he said.

Watch out for August Derleth masquerading as Lovecraft, though.

5. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    I LOVE THE STAND. I've read it twice. And I've read Frankenstein and above all other books The Stand is the BEST.

6. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I enjoy horror novels but it's very rare that I find one that I see as a good read overall, horror writers seem to either be great with plots or to be great with characterisation, it's not often that the two coincide.
    Stephen King can really get inside the way a person thinks but some of his plots are rather silly, James Herbert sometimes fails on both counts but now and again he manages to pull both things together and write well and throw out a plot that is scary and makes sense, Clive Barker started out well, his plots were coherent and his writing was good then he gave us weaveworld which to be frank was trash. Graham Masterton's plots in the right hands could be terrifying but his writing tends to be a little basic. I could go on and on but I won't, my point is there are very few horror novels which hit all cylinders.

7. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Same here. I really liked The Stand.

I also enjoyed Stephen King's 4-part novella, "Different Seasons." 3 of the 4 stories in the novella were made into movies. That's how good it was.

8. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some of my fav horror books are...

Silence of the Lambs (read it 3 times)

The Talisman and its sequel, Black House, by Stephen King & Peter Straub

The Omen was also good

I also liked Interview with the Vampire (none of Ann Rice's other books compared)

Another author you may want to check out is DEAN KOONTZ. Some of his books are kinda "formula", but some really stood out: Lightening, Watchers, Odd Thomas, and Mr. Murder.

Draft saved Draft deleted