Horse riding - OUCH

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by I23, Jul 1, 2011.

1. I23

I23 New Member

Does anyone else have any dramas when going horse riding? I went recently (I'm pretty much a novice) and it was painful! The horse seemed to bounce up and down as least as far as it went forwards with every step, and the end result was me 'walking like John Wayne' for a few days...

Is there any sort of a solution to this - a way of positioning them, something to protect them? Or is it just a fact that if you are shitty at riding a horse and are packing a bit of meat you are likely to get it bruised?

2. dad4you

dad4you Member

I have a work mate who is a bull rider. I asked him once about how he survives the pounding and he said when he is in the "sweet spot" that it is actually very comfortable. So I would guess that long time riders get to where they know how to relax and position their body in the saddle. Also, having ridden a little of my own when younger, the gait of the horse can count for a lot.

3. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    When horses trot the bouncing is pretty bad and you need to support your weight with the stirrups. Once the horse is galloping it's more of a rocking motion and much more comfortable. Snug briefs or a jock (jockey - get it) strap will help.

4. Lampwick

Lampwick New Member

5. hungcowboy

hungcowboy New Member

When you ride horses, you can do something called "posting" where you basically move up and off of the saddle by almost 'standing' in the stirrups at the same time that the horse lunges forward with every step. The horse's body will dip down while you raise yourself up, and you control lowering yourself back into the saddle (or bareback, which is my preference).Usually, you do this when you trot/ride dressage. I've ridden horses for a number of years and with a larger package, I HIGHLY recommend it. It takes uber leg muscles if you do it over a longer period of time, but it will save your junk.

You can also, basically, roll your hips forward/under (does that make sense?) and again move with the horse. Are you riding English, Western, Dressage,...?

A jock will hold things in place as well as some tighter jeans. You WILL bulge, but if you can get your junk to be out in front of you instead of under you, you'll be happier too.

Hope this helps.

-the cowboy

6. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

a woman will ride horse all day becouse it feels good.

7. Silvertip

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The cowboy pretty well summed it up but dad4you is also right in that individual horses vary a lot in how comfortable their gaits are. With most horses the only time you'd have any worries over banging your balls is when they're trotting. For a clearer picture of how to post the trot you might want to watch this:

YouTube - ‪Riding Technique: The Basics of Posting‬‏

If all else fails you could always seek out a "gaited" horse such as a Tennessee Walking Horse or Paso Fino. Those breeds can move in a shuffling walk that's as fast as most horses' trot.

Happy trails.

8. nicecircjob

nicecircjob Well-Known Member

I'll never get on another horse. The last time I went riding it hurt my balls like hell.
    I almost got off and walked the horse back to the barn. I used to work with a guy who had the biggest ball bulge I have ever seen and he rode saddle broncs in rodeos. I don't know how he could ride without inflicting pain to his massive set of balls. This guys ball bulge covered a wide area of his jeans. I've always wondered how he could ride a bucking horse with balls as big as he has.

9. D_Hugh_G_Nutz

D_Hugh_G_Nutz Account Disabled

Big balls and riding a horse do not go together. Why do you think in those old pictures of cowboys, the cowboys were never smiling?

10. pdxjoe

Gold Member

I agree cowboy said it well. One other thing ,to do, have the wrangler at the stable properly adjust the stirrups to your leg length.

11. bigtoad

bigtoad Well-Known Member

Giddy-up, cowboy!!!

12. 87sultan

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm a horse trainer. I would follow previous advice given and wear something supportive. I wear boxer briefs and tight pants (they minimize chaffing from the pants rubbing).

I also recommend learning how to post if you're going to be riding for any distance. While I agree that it does take some leg muscles, if you're doing it correctly, the horse is doing the work. You have to learn to control the motion.

I ride English so I don't have to worry about banging my balls against a saddle horn. That said, I've definitely had horses jump or buck and I landed wrong on my balls. I was a little tender when it came time to dismount.

Thumbs up for gaited horses!

13. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

I live on a ranch and at times in my long ago past I have spent many hours on horseback. I also have very large balls at least from what I have seen as comparison.

Supportive underwear and tighter than average pants are a must, as is the positioning of your genitals as you dress. The gait of the animal makes a very large difference in how you ride it. Good Buddy, there is no exercise better than horseback riding, and I strongly urge you to adapt to the inconveniences because over the long term you will come to love it. 87 Sultan has said some great things, hungcowboy also gave some great advice. There are differences not only between individual horses but between the breed. I have had a great deal of time on the backs of drafts and draft crosses. These have (to simplify it) a "different shape" than many other breeds and require a different saddle. I have heard it compared to riding a 55 gallon oil drum, but as I have not ridden any oil drums I would not know. One of the most beneficial things you can do is to take your camcorder or digicam and have some friend take some movies of you riding if possible from the side.

Look at what you are doing in relation to body position, spinal alignment, and saddle position. The other thing I strongly endorse if you decide that you want to work to fix this, and that is your own saddle that is a proper fit for you. Many novice riders do not know that saddles are "sized" for the rider and if one is shall we say "off by miles" it can take a really pleasurable experience and turn it into a exercise in discomfort even for an experienced rider if it is more than a very short ride. To me personally in riding there is a time of adjustment. During this time, you learn to become one with the horse instead of just existing as dead weight in the saddle. One of the hazards of this time period is the examination of your own sanity for wanting to do it. Over time, as cowboy mentioned, your muscles change and react by instinct to what you should be doing instead of "after the fact". Even with all that, I have said in other postings that I am the victim of a bucking where I sustained some pretty heavy duty injuries. The accident was a total fluke and I do not fault the horse to this day, if one wanted to call it an act of God that would be the closest one could get. The animal bucked when it was hit by a wind blown chunk Mesquite bush that hit his left flank thorns and all. The saddle was a roping saddle and I came down on the saddle horn. Again, this is my only problem and I am now not very far from 60 years old. Right now you can see you have some support and some people will help you through the "rough times" on this. Keep with it and a few lessons probably wold not hurt either.

The one thing I can tell you is that a true relationship with a mount is unlike anything else you will ever have. Keep at it and over time you will definitely get it right and really will enjoy it.

14. pcghabsy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I once went on a pony ride on a holiday for a couple of hours. My pelvic area was sore for the next couple of days and really ruined the rest of my holiday! I tried to support myself on the stirrups (didn't know it was called 'posting' - thanks for the info!) as much as I could. Obviously, there are technique, but it can be uncomfortable for the novice.

15. mred0950

mred0950 New Member

I cant imagine riding a horse with these 2 huge lemons of mine

16. sillvert

sillvert Member

I agree with FuzzyKen. I have been riding, since I was old enough to hang on and sometimes I feel off. So close to 50 years. I grew up on a ranch and still live on one. I just spent the last week on my horse and feel great, that was 6 to 8 hours a day. If you wear, loose baggy pants and the boys are moving around, you are going to hurt. There's a reason, why we wear tight Wranglers and not baggy Levis. Now on the other hand, riding a bike, kills my nutts.

17. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  18. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Talk about could squash a nut.

19. B_jdunhill

B_jdunhill New Member

omg. as an amature even. It is simple, stand in the saddle, lean in...and rhythm. I was raised by a pack of horses and dogs. we are overthinking things here. The worst of the pain should be hamstring and thigh muscles trying to keep up with horsepower.

20. flnkdguy2

flnkdguy2 New Member

When I was a kid I had my first orgasm when I was taking horseback riding lessons. :) I almost fell off the horse because I didn't understand what was happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted