Horse Tranquilizer as Anti-Depressant

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just came across this article online about a horse tranquilizer
that researchers at Yale have discovered works as an effective anti-depressant. it's called Ketamine and is a party drug a.k.a. "special K".

the study indicates it works rapidly and lasts 7-10 days, although it can cause short term psychosis. hmmm. here's the link to the article:
Study touts horse tranquilizer Ketamine as ‘magic’ anti-depressant | Raw Story

i have not experienced clinical depression but i know countless people who have and i know their frustration of doctors who just push pills on them and they might or might not work and they are still depressed.

it would be really awesome if there could be a breakthrough to treat depression.

without clinical trials and FDA approval, i suppose this is little more than a hopeful possibility at this point. i thought it was itneresting enough to share.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You know I probably should read the link you provided again before I comment but here goes... I've never experienced depression and know people who have suffered and struggled with it and unfortunately a couple of them lost the battle; but I can't help but think the long term effects of K are going to be more debilitating in the long run but I'll do some research.
I have a good friend who is a does medical research. I'll forward this and report back.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
It is a dissociative which very rapidly allows people to feel divorced from their prior emotional or psychological state, and it is in fact a much less dangerous drug than it's reputation as a Horse tranquiliser might suggest. It's used fairly frequently in human medicine as it happens and has proven to have a range of useful purposes.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i have not experienced clinical depression but i know countless people who have and i know their frustration of doctors who just push pills on them and they might or might not work and they are still depressed.
clinical depression is a medical condition treated with medication. I wouldn't expect a doctor to do anything but prescribe medication. of course, I would expect a thorough exam to determine if there are other problems.

as for antidepressants working or not working, it may take adjustments in dosage or even change(s) in meds before there is an improvement. the patient needs to communicate with his/her doctor about what the meds are doing or not doing.

I know this from long experience with clinical depression.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know it's not nice to make light of a serious issue (especially as I myself have been diagnosed with mild depression in the past)

BUT...

...if horse drugs can treat depression, why do they have such long faces? :tongue:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
clinical depression is a medical condition treated with medication. I wouldn't expect a doctor to do anything but prescribe medication. of course, I would expect a thorough exam to determine if there are other problems.

as for antidepressants working or not working, it may take adjustments in dosage or even change(s) in meds before there is an improvement. the patient needs to communicate with his/her doctor about what the meds are doing or not doing.

I know this from long experience with clinical depression.

I agree with all this (I'm another who had years of clinical depression). I think the biggest reason drugs are perceived not to work is that people take them thinking the drugs will 'fix' them. They won't. The drugs just put your biology in a state where you can fix yourself.

I can't check out the link myself because our connection is too slow at the moment, but I'm looking forward to hear nudeyorker's report :smile: