House wants to apologize for slavery, how much do u know?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I'm a bit at a loss over all this negative reaction to marley bringing this subject up. I was rather looking forward to reading some answers and getting a new perspective on American history as a whole, which I know a little about, but not enough - what I do know I probably know more from an English / French perspective and not from an American perspective.

I don't see marley accusing anyone of anything - I don't see him asking for an apology. I thought he was trying to start an interesting discussion about history.

What I see now is a bunch of people reacting to something that isn't there. It's disappointing. Knowledge of the past is not only important to the future - it is vital. Trying to form an understanding of how things came to be the way they are socially, economically, culturally is vital to finding our place and moving on.

We can't change the past, we have no choice but to accept it - to accept it for what it was we must understand it, to understand we must know about it.

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^Thanks Manly, I think they just watch too many 50 Cent videos, they imagine that I'm sitting outside their house in a lowrider with Michelle Obama drinkin malt liquor with skull caps on, ready to unload a clip into their house if they don't give me all their donkeys.

And if you think this is bad, you should see the gay forum where I posted the same questions and those drama queens reacted as if I took a shit on the constitution. Literally pages of "You're Al Sharpton jr." and "you just want a check" and whatnot. Pages of it, I posted it 5 hours before I posted it here and u guys had everything answered before they answered a single question, everything was personal attacks towards me.

Anyhow, it would've been interesting to hear you try a few, I can't imagine American history would be a huge priority in France except the REALLY big stuff. I'd be put to shame if you did a thread about French history. My "World History" class junior year was really just "American History part 2".

Last edited:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I could do one on Irish history mate - you'd all be fucked (bar jason_els and dong20, I'm guessing... maybe Hick, he listens to me).

I'm working at the moment - I'll take a stab at a few of the questions when I take a break :smile:

(I don't have any donkeys - don't shoot me! :tongue:)

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I could do one on Irish history mate - you'd all be fucked (bar jason_els and dong20, I'm guessing... maybe Hick, he listens to me).

True, but I'd be too busy daydreaming about the GORGEOUS castles and landscapes over there, never been but seen some stunning pictures. Again, my World History Class was really mostly about America, so I gotta study the rest on my own.

(I don't have any donkeys - don't shoot me! :tongue:)

Then give me all your malt liquor, Newport cigs, and bootleg dvds!!

D

deleted3782

Interesting thread Marley. Obviously, we all win when we understand all history, including little understood facets of our past such as African and African-American history. To quote George Santayana: Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Slavery does, in fact, still exist today, so it remains a relevant topic.

Related to education and history...in high school, we had to take English History (yes, in the USA), and either Ancient History or European History, and US History. In college I took Asian History, North Carolina History, and a class on Race and Ethnic Relations. I'm fortunate that I had a wide base of education, and developed a curiosity about our past. I still enjoy reading books about history, most recently two books including No god but God about Islam, and Maximillian and Juarez, about Mexican history...the point being, we can all continue to learn throughout our lives.

I'll try to answer one question...

11. What southern high school(s) still holds segregated proms; a black prom and a white prom?

May 14, 2003: Just over the weekend, two high schools in rural Georgia held segregated proms. At Johnson County High School in Wrightsville, whites attended one prom while blacks attended another. At Taylor County High School in Butler, students attended an "all-white" prom paid for by parents; an integrated prom for blacks and whites was also held. The all-white prom at Taylor County High was considered an unfortunate relapse to previous bad behavior. Just last year, Taylor County High made news by announcing it was doing away with its whites-only prom in favor of an integrated prom for everyone.

In the time since 2003, one of these schools might have gone back to holding an integrated prom. Not sure what the status of these proms are in 2008...

Last edited by a moderator:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm ashamed of myself for not being able to answer any of those questions

Don't be ashamed. The ones who should be are the American students who zones out during the chapters on black history. I wouldn't expect you to know about my history, cuz my school didn't teach me much about yours, and I'm convinced that some of what I was told was either manipulated or downright lies.

The ones who REALLY need to be ashamed are the ones who are "sick of hearing" about the history of people who helped build this country.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Next week congress will debate an apology for slavery.

FWIW: I don't care about an apology, a mule, 2 acres, a compensation check, or any other form of reparation.

Since everybody and they mama have an opinion on black Americans, I thought it'd be interesting to see who knows about our history. Since many people base their opinions of black America on rap videos and can't write 2 paragraphs about black history (but can write 2 pages on their views of black Americans), I've included hints with some of the questions.

Let's play 20 EASY questions: Slavery and her sister, Institutional Racism, and black America. Feel free to skip any ones you can't answer, none of us are perfect.

*Google helps, but some of these will be easily answered if you paid attention in US History class, assuming black history didn't put you to sleep.:tongue:

1. How was Christopher Columbus introduced to slavery?
Hint: he didn't have to go to America to find it. don't know

2. How many blacks were transported from Africa to America between the 16th and 19th century? don't know

3. What were the 3 points of this particular triangular slave trade?
Hint: It was important to bar rooms in London where the early Royal Society met. don't know

4. What year did the transatlantic slave trade of Africans to America begin?
Hint: Isaac Newton wasn't born yet. don't know

5. How did the practice of slavery effect the US economy?
Hint: It probably didn't hurt it.:wink: if you mean gnp, yeah probably

6. How did the abolishment of slavery affect the US economy?
Hint: It probably hurt it. if you mean gnp, yeah probably

7. How has diaspora affected black genealogy?
Hint: This is a really easy fucking question. what's diaspora?

8. Name one historically significant accomplishment of black slaves.
*Hint, Jesus H. Christ wasn't white. they picked cotton

9. Define 'institutional racism'.
Hint: It's a literal term, no hidden meanings. it's Jesse Jackson's explanation for everything

10. Explain the modern "cycle" of poverty in the US.
*Hint, this affects every poor group, not just blacks. most poor people's offspring grow up to be poor too.

11. What southern high school(s) still holds segregated proms; a black prom and a white prom? don't know

12. LOTS of black women have degrees, what % of them have management/ceo/etc.. positions in the US? don't know

13. What percentage of black children grow up without a father? technically none. but I realize you mean around the house and I think I heard around 50%

14. What's the fundemental difference between Dr. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X?
Hint: You can answer this with one sentence, just compare their personas.
inclusionist vs. separatist

15. How are those folks down in New Orleans doing? Are they back on their feet yet?
Hint: Doing a Yahoo News or Google News search for 'Hurricane Katrina' or 'New Orleans' will give u recent update. depends on which folks you're talking about

16. Who was the first black candidate for President in the US?
Hint: SHE was also the first female to seek the Dem. nomination. 1972
Shirley Chisholm

17. In 2008 what % of Americans admitted that race affects their vote? I think it was around 18% in the appalachian states. I would assume it's higher in predominately black communities

18. Name at least one anti-black/white supremacist group OTHER THAN THE KKK. some folks would say white people

19. Name one advantage of Affirmative Action. can't

20. Name one disadvantage of Affirmative Action. it's unfair

BONUS: At what point in time did the generational effects of slavery/racism dissipate? AKA; In which generation/time period/decade did blacks convert from "acknowledged victims of opppression" to "lazy bums who just want handouts". Be specific, please and thank you. baited question

*Like I said, skip any ones you don't know, just write the answer along with with the corresponding question #. For the sake of space, it'll look neater (I disagree) easier if you don't copy/paste the entire question

I think the very phrase black history is divisive.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Hint: he didn't have to go to America to find it.
Slavery existed in Europe long before Columbus's time - I would imagine he had slaves. He is certainly credited with enslaving the indiginous people of the caribbean. Side question: Did he ever actually go to what is now the United States of America?

2. How many blacks were transported from Africa to America between the 16th and 19th century?
Google is telling me between 9 and 12 million.

Hint: It was important to bar rooms in London where the early Royal Society met.
Don't know exactly where in west africa - I know Liverpool and Charleston figure heavily on their respective sides of the pond.

Hint: Isaac Newton wasn't born yet.
Mid 16th centuary.

Hint: It probably didn't hurt it.
What? Free labour? Are you kidding me?

Hint: It probably hurt it.
What? Having to pay all those people? (not much pay, but still) Are you kidding me?

Hint: This is a really easy fucking question.
Not a direct answer - there was a series of interesting programs on BBC a while back called "Who do you think you are" with celebs tracing their ancestors - the black celebs they had on had their ancestors go to England by way way of the Caribbean (not direct from Africa) and the stories were fascinating and sad - the ones I recall could only trace one grandparent to one great-grandparent at most because no reasonable record of the birth and death of slaves had been kept. I shouldn't imagine the US plantation etc. were any different.

*Hint, Jesus H. Christ wasn't white.
Nor was He black. He was a Semite. A caucasian.
I was told just the other day about some complex irrigation technology in certain Southern plantations, the knowledge of which came from the slaves. Does that count?

Hint: It's a literal term, no hidden meanings.
Institutional racism is that which, covertly or overtly, resides in the policies, procedures, operations and culture of public or private institutions - reinforcing individual prejudices and being reinforced by them in turn. Whereas individual racism is the expression of personal prejudice, institutional racism is the expression of a whole organisation's racist practice and culture.
Definition: Institutional racism

*Hint, this affects every poor group, not just blacks.
The poor find it a lot harder to afford a good education and to stay in education beyond the require minimum, if that. Therefore lower paying jobs are where they end up, so they stay poor and their children are also poor.

11. What southern high school(s) still holds segregated proms; a black prom and a white prom?
I think Ex got that one.

12. LOTS of black women have degrees, what % of them have management/ceo/etc.. positions in the US?
I'm guessing the % is in single figures.

13. What percentage of black children grow up without a father?
'Bout half, judging by a quick google.

14. What's the fundemental difference between Dr. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X?
Off the top of my head - peaceful protest? - Dr.King was of the O'Connell / Ghandi school of peaceful protest, Malcolm X was not.

15. How are those folks down in New Orleans doing? Are they back on their feet yet?
Hint: Doing a Yahoo News or Google News search for 'Hurricane Katrina' or 'New Orleans' will give u recent update.
Still fucked.

Mindseye more than covered that.

17. In 2008 what % of Americans admitted that race affects their vote?
Bout 30% according to a quick google

18. Name atleast one anti-black/white supremacist group OTHER THAN THE KKK.
National Alliance

19. Name one advantage of Affirmative Action.
I'm against it (for women, homosexuals and disabled people too) so I can't think of one.

20. Name one disadvantage of Affirmative Action.
People get promoted / hired for what they are, not what they can do - you can end up with people in jobs they are not well-suited for.

BONUS: At what point in time did the generational effects of slavery/racism dissipate? AKA; In which generation/time period/decade did blacks convert from "acknowledged victims of opppression" to "lazy bums who just want handouts". Be specific, please and thank you.
Trick question - it doesn't work like that.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I image he had slaves in his household.

2. How many blacks were transported from Africa to America between the 16th and 19th century?
I haven't a clue. I did hear some estimates but they where just estimates, and now I can't memory those.

Hint: It was important to bar rooms in London where the early Royal Society met.
I don't know.

I don't know.

Hint: It probably didn't hurt it.:wink:
It helped it to grow. Free labor or slave labor has always promoted growth of those in control.

Well the south was ruins. The southerns plantation owners had no one to work the fields. Unsure how it affect the US economy overall.

A lost of their shared past history, culture.

Institutional rasicm is being excluded from a public body or services by reasons of race or culture.

I don't know. I didn't even go to mine I thought it was outdated when I finished high school, and that been years ago. :rolleyes:

12. LOTS of black women have degrees, what % of them have management/ceo/etc.. positions in the US?
Idon't know.

If any child grows up without a father it 1 to many.

Hint: Doing a Yahoo News or Google News search for 'Hurricane Katrina' or 'New Orleans' will give u recent update.
Just like everywhere hit by disaster it is taking time for New Orleans to recover. Something that some assume would happen over night.

Shirley Chishlom

That it affected any is upsetting.

New Century Foundation

It open the doors for many.

It caused even more hard feelings between the races.

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
FWIW:

The story in the OP about the apology bred a discussion on another forum that led to some of it's members schooling me on racism when they didn't even know what century it started in.:confused:
It spiraled into all kindsa hell and all kindsa disrespect to my character and to black Americans in general so THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU for being civil and respectful. I'll be the first to say black America has its bad apples that are a burden on society (every group does) but it's nice that you guys aren't focusing only on that, and are staying on topic.

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Slavery has been over for at least one hundred and forty years, the african american community has problems now that can't be solved by dwelling on slavery, they should pull together to fight racism and poverty and social issues now rather than blaming slavery.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Let's play 20 EASY questions: Slavery and her sister, Institutional Racism, and black America. Feel free to skip any ones you can't answer, none of us are perfect.

*Google helps, but some of these will be easily answered if you paid attention in US History class, assuming black history didn't put you to sleep.:tongue:
HE had slaves, didn't he? Probably enslaved the native people too before he accidently killed them with his sickness.
Millions upon millions.
Gin, Tobacco and Slaves...I don't remember which one was to which.
1600's?
It was like the stock market. The more you invested, the better your return.
It was like the stock market. Companies close and you're out of money.
It has watered down the natural ethnicity of Africans to African-whatever country you were born in.
The Underground Railroad, duh. Oh, and quilts.
When certain institutions (banks, colleges, businesses) exclude minorities from membership or availability of serivce simply because the color of their skin.
I can't.
Toombs County High in Lyons, GA.
8-10%?
87%
King= Non-violence. Malcom X= Violence
Nope.
Shirley Chissolm
...is this something I can actually google?
N.O. F.E.A.R., the Brotherhood, Hell's Angels. William-Morris.
People who deserve proper education can receive such a thing.
Angry white people.
BONUS: At what point in time did the generational effects of slavery/racism dissipate? AKA; In which generation/time period/decade did blacks convert from "acknowledged victims of opppression" to "lazy bums who just want handouts". Be specific, please and thank you.

It hasn't. I wouldn't say "dissipate," but I would say that toleration has overcome the general idealism in America. More people have been taught equality, but with an underlying proviso. "Don't let them get too comfortable or you have to bring that shit right back to the forefront." We are all the same, but with a simple "all black people are..." the pre-civil rights sentiments can be easily flustered up again.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Knowledge of the past is not only important to the future - it is vital. Trying to form an understanding of how things came to be the way they are socially, economically, culturally is vital to finding our place and moving on.

We can't change the past, we have no choice but to accept it - to accept it for what it was we must understand it, to understand we must know about it.

testify, sister! testify!

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Slavery has been over for at least one hundred and forty years, the african american community has problems now that can't be solved by dwelling on slavery, they should pull together to fight racism and poverty and social issues now rather than blaming slavery.

I'm not advocating dwelling on slavery, but in reality, this is just one thread. Discussing racism in America without discussing slavery and it's SISTER, institutional racism, is like teaching a cooking class without pots and stirrers.

testify, bro! testify!

Are you here to discuss the topic? Ironic since you've made your feelings of minority issues VERY clear. It's be like me moving to the Sahara Desert. I loathe heat.

Again, this is just one thread about history, if it offends you, did your high-school teacher offend you when they taught you about this, or did u doze off cuz u were "sick of hearing about it" then too?

Last edited:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Gin, Tobacco and Slaves...I don't remember which one was to which.

Oh - now you see I didn't read that question properly and thought marley meant physical points - or maybe I misread the word 'points' as 'ports', I don't recall. But I see what it means now - a three point trade trip: gin to Africa, slaves to the Americas and tobacco back to Europe so the boats were never sailing 'unstocked'. I get it now.

B_bball233223

Just Browsing
Media
He introduced himself to it with his penis in native americans that how he got stds.
Transported? Weren't the original people of North America "black"?
Europe,New World, Africa... Lets no forget Asia and the Middle East ( yes you too Jewish people)
SUGAR,GUNS,ALCOHOL,
Depends if you're talking about the 1st or 2nd system, between 15-16th century.
It put a lot of lower class white people out of work because farmers got their labor for free.
Helped congress hurt tax paying citizens.
Ask the kin of black slavemaster families.
The birth of Bill Cosby and other positive African American Leaders, Booker T. Washington, Fredrick Douglas, Malcom X ( I'll explain this later on)
Turning away humans who dress,act and talk like gangster rappers! ( I agree with this type of racism, and yes it goes for wiggers too.) No mohawks or cornrows! in the boardroom.
This one is easy! There are 2 types of people in this world, those who WAIT for things to happen and then there are those who MAKE things happen.
I don't know but it Probably has the same dean as Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte, N.C.
Don't know but the most common is MBA.
A LOT! Thats the root of most problems.
Easy! MLK was a Bi, interracial orgy having Reverend snake bastard and Malcom Little kept it real and after he left NOI he realized most of his hate words towards whites where wrong. ( after all he did like white dick)
As long as they are hard workers people will hire them and with money you can have anything you want. The lazy ones... well probably still homeless.
Don't know
I think it was 10% of course not all people admitt things out in the open.
Heres 2, Rainbow Coalition and the National Action Network.
Gives people who don't deserve the job a good job.
The person who got screwed out of that job is now broke.

The militant blacks become lazy bums in the 70's with huey and bobby stupid ass views, ask your grandparents how many drivebys where taking place in the 30,40,50's. Back then blacks had freshly mowed lawns and white picket fences in Staten Island.

Last edited: