Householder with AK-47 shoots trick-or-treater to death

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Calboner, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank goodness that we've got guns to protect ourselves and our households against such menaces! Just think -- the little punk might have TP'd the house! :eek:

</sarcasm>

Police: Shooter feared trick-or-treater was robber

By MEG KINNARD – 2 hours ago
    SUMTER, S.C. (AP) — An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday.
    Quentin Patrick, 22, is accused of killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw on Friday night. T.J.'s 9-year-old brother, Ahmadre Darrisaw, and their father, Freddie Grinnell, were injured but were released after being treated at a hospital.
    The family attended a Halloween celebration in downtown Sumter, 45 miles east of Columbia, then stopped at Patrick's house because the porch light was on, police said. Another sibling was with them, but wasn't hurt.
    Police said at least two of the boys were wearing ghoulish masks when they knocked on the door. The boys' mother and a toddler stayed in the car nearby.
    Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows after hearing the knock, Police Chief Patty Patterson said.
    He told police he had been robbed and shot in the past year.
    "He wasn't going to be robbed again, and he wasn't going to be shot again," Patterson said Saturday at a news conference.

Link to complete article

2. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Shit.

3. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Firstly...
    "An Ex Convict" - so that tells you the guy was jacked in the head to begin with.

Secondly, how did he get his hands on a AK-47 if he was an EX CONVICT.

This has ZERO to do with law abiding gun owners.
    Just another examply WHY people SHOULD carry to protect themselves and their families.

Thirdly, this is from the Associated Press....which by the way are falling FLAT on their face due to piss poor slanted information. So much so, that Yahoo's report pointed out their stocks are falling bigtime because everyone is dumping them for their bad wrap.

Fourth... not this kids fault... but what parents in their right mind would let a young teen go trick-R-Treating in the GHETTO??

#3 Rikter8, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  4. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Shall we protect the kiddies from much, much larger issues like banning them from riding their bicycles also? :rolleyes:

5. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

That is tragic! The poor kid wanted some candy.

6. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Not too take away from the tragedy of this child but your information regarding the Associated Press is incorrect. There is not one example anywhere that you can show saying anybody is dropping them for alleged &#8220;slanted information&#8221; or a &#8220;bad wrap&#8221;

This is what is happening ... Shocker: Tribune Co. Gives Notice To Drop AP

7. Gl3nn

Gold Member

It's WAY to easy to get a gun in America

8. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

It’s WAY too easy to get a propane cylinder and a match also. :wink:

9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    when is the last time someone got killed innocently by a person with a propane cylinder and a match?

10. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    If I had more time in the world amongst my busy schedule, I would dig it up.
    Otherwise...I'm working on more important stuff.

11. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I dunno.... I'm wondering if the front porch light was on.

If it was off, then he was already setting himself up for disaster.

12. B_FruitFly

B_FruitFly New Member

Didn't he know it was Halloween?

Why would a robber ring the doorbell or knock?

13. dong20

Gold Member

The credibility of AP is only a loose corollorary to this story.

Well he supposedly had 'multiple drugs convictions' - evidence of previous misdeeds, but proof of little or nothing in this context. Also, there's no evidence (in the article) that the victim or his father knew of his history.

Possibly illegally, possibly not but if legally then it's a salient question.

Yes, and no.

If he obtained the gun legally, then he was a law abiding gun owner ... right until he pulled (and, presumably held down) the trigger.

As for your assertion that this is an examplar for why (12 y.o. children?) should be armed - I think not. Had the boys, Father etc been armed to the teeth what good would it have done him/them in this or a similar scenario? Head to toe body armour may have helped, but a weapon, hardly.

As for provocation/fear of being shot again; IMHO it's weak defence:

Risk assessment: I don't speak from experience but I'm surmising that armed burglars tend not to come to the front door and ring the bell, right?

Expectation: It was halloween, the man should have had a reasonable expectation that his door bell would ring - especially if his porch light was on, which it was stated to have been.

Threat: From what I read (and in actuality) there was no actual threat, only a perceived one - a key question being was that perception realistic.

Consider; given the previous burglary/shooting we should assess the man's state of mind at the time against what would be a reasonable response to an unsolicited ring at the door on an evening when it should have been expected, and the porch light was on? On any other night ghoulish masks 'may' have added some credibility to his risk assessment, but not on halloween.

Should we take past drugs convictions into account in assessing his response - was he expecting 'someone else' for example?

We're not in possession of all the facts of course but I'd suggest the action was not pre-meditated. That is, unless the man was sitting near the door, AK47 at the ready intending to shoot the first person(s) who rang the bell he must have had time to pick it up, think things through and then empty a magazine through the door/wall. Seems to me that prima facie; that's a staggering overreaction.

I'd argue that the correct charges were filed, had he shot once high as a warning that may have been 'plausible', but 29 times in a manner that seemed aimed at causing maximum damage, sorry I don't buy it.

If you read the article you would have seen he went to the house because the porch light was on. Also, he was with his Father while his Mother and a toddler remained in the car, and at 12 you're not (strictly) a teenager. In essence, he was not alone, so any element of contributary negligance by parents is tenuous at best.

Well, you seem to contradict yourself a little. Even if the light was not on, ringing the doorbell of a house with the porch light off hardly seems to excuse being shot multiple times, seemingly without warning, through a door and wall. Setting himself up for disaster? Hardly.

It's tragic, whichever way it's sliced up.

Draft saved Draft deleted