How about the sauna?

Heavy Sac

Sexy Member
Media
A towel in the sauna is good to sit on. That's about it. You're in there to sweat. Why wrap up and be miserable. I like to sit forward on the bench so my balls can hang freely in the hot air, not smothered on the towel.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Gym I go to (a national chain) has 'posted' a sign about ou must wear clothes, etc..etc...

I wear a long towel, lie it flat and sit on it like a diaper-
it protects my nuts, and dick, from burning. Hate to 'wrap around as there is never enough front wrap room (or it gaps, etc..etc...

once in a blue moon you get some jack ass (usually very small hung, am sure there is no correlation- right?) who bitches about it. Also noticed some guys seem RELIEVED to see others not clothed.

we do have (esp in winter) a lot of folks come in in shorts/sneakers etc to warm up/stretch from the cold weather. or guys in full sweat pants to sweat off.

eastbaydude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm in line with everyone else - nude.

But, make sure it's not a coed area. I was on the road in an unfamiliar gym and made the mistake of going into the sauna/spa/steam area with just a towel only to see women in bathing suits. Turns out the area is shared.

teutonicos

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have never seen anybody in the sauna with his trunks on - of course this is Germany and we are quite liberal in this respect.Nudism is quite popular and in the former GDR even more.When the Iron Curtain came down most of them didn´t even have swim trunks.(Some say,they didn´t have the material,that´s why (lol))

D_Cock_Hudson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As long as it's accepted then nude saunas in a co-ed area are fine by me, as it is in Germany. I find saunas with swimwear on unpleasant and uncomfortable.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
approaching the sauna...I usually walk...if I run I might slip on the wet floor, and hurt myself. Then someone would have to explain why I am nakey, not that it matters at my Y. Some of us older guys are very comfortable with our bodies, and nudity. Some of the younger guys...well....shorts in the sauna....

prettyangelboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think the sitting on a towel is for hygenic reasons. It's polite to say the least (same reasoning that nudist camps require a towel when seated indoors).

I like mixed saunas b/c it's the one excuse I have to actually be naked in a situation where the opposite sex might be present.

guynmn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I always thought the sauna issue in the US was odd. I grew up with wood fired sauna every saturday & special events for bath. Everyone went; friends come over, family, etc. It was an event for socialization, card games, gossip and lasted a few hours steaming up, cooling and repeating then into the snow or the lake :)
As an adult, I do not use dry sauna at hotels or gyms (US). My current gym has a wet sauna which is nice. I usually will look at a dude like he is odd if he comes in with trunks on. I am suspect of anyone with more than a towel to sit on and a hand towel to wipe your face. Growing up only the people who were "sick" wore clothes to hide their sickness, LOL.
So, it was very weird for me to walk in a sauna and have guys in trunks, I am uncomfortable and leave. So, long story short, nude with a towel to sit on and a hand towel to wipe off at the most. Just the culture I was raised in.
I would not shave in a public one here, but do all the time in the family saunas. You get the best and closest shave.