How are you misunderstood?

stud_hunter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think this is an interesting topic. How are you misunderstood? What is an impression people sometimes get of you that you don't think is the real you?
I know this isn't really a "woman's issue" but I prefer posting here because there's a more even gender balance.
I'll start. I think people sometimes think I'm colder than I really am. I try to be direct about what I want and sometimes people think I come across bitchy, but people who know me know I just think I deserve to be direct about my desires. I guess that falls into the category of direct women being thought of as a bitch. :mad:
OK. Your turn. How are you misunderstood?

pichulon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
stud_hunter said:
I think this is an interesting topic. How are you misunderstood? What is an impression people sometimes get of you that you don't think is the real you?
I know this isn't really a "woman's issue" but I prefer posting here because there's a more even gender balance.
I'll start. I think people sometimes think I'm colder than I really am. I try to be direct about what I want and sometimes people think I come across bitchy, but people who know me know I just think I deserve to be direct about my desires. I guess that falls into the category of direct women being thought of as a bitch. :mad:
OK. Your turn. How are you misunderstood?

It is a good topic.
A lot of times, female friends, and GF's have told me they always thought I was a womanizer.
I am not, in the sense that I do not go hunting daily and look for sex exclusively, I am a mental guy, in the sense that I need to conect mentally with a woman, I am not your stereotypical bed hopper.
But for some reason, I give out that impresion to female friends, and, girl friends told me that they thought I was...
Once I was dating this girl, and, she started looking into my car's glove box. She pulled out a bottle of Obsession cologne for men, and told me, " this is a sign that you probably have multiple GF's..."
To me, having a bottle of ccologne is just a good way to be ready for those unexpected encounters, or when you just met a great girl....but apparently women analize things differently.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have a crazy sense of humor that has gotten me in hot water many of times over the years In fact a member on here from germany got on my case about it To him i say thankyou and send a big kiss ! Now i know why everybody likes this guy!! He is great!:smile:

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I am a big guy so I'm pretty physically intimidating. But I'm really a pussycat who learned early on to use tact and humor instead of my fists to solve problems.

The family often calls on me to represent them in an arguement with an officious bureaucrat or snotty store manager because I can quietly go about explaining how my gumbah cousin Vito knows where they live.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
stud_hunter said:

Some people get the erroneous impression I'm some elitist East Coast left wing snob living on a sand dune on Cape Cod.:rolleyes:

Unreal I tell you!

shad24

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Most people who meet me for the first time believe I am an escaped convict and are very afraid to approach me for fear that they will never be seen or heard from again. Guess I have a very intimidating presence?
Truth be told I will try to help out almost anybody, all they have to do is ask!

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
uncut said:
I have a crazy sense of humor that has gotten me in hot water many of times over the years In fact a member on here from germany got on my case about it!

I wonder who that could have been? :rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin1:

How am I misunderstood?

The only people who misunderstand me are those who want me to fit in a neatly-defined box, and who try to reinterpret who I am in order to fit their precepts and prejudices.

But I guess any of us could say that. :rolleyes:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A lot of people are intimidated by me, they think I'm scary because I normally keep to myself and because of my imposing physical size.. 6'6" about 220 lbs... in person though, I'm about the nicest guy you'll ever meet. I'm very non-violent, would probably never intentionally hurt anyone, and if a girl's not into me I back off without argument. I don't use my physical size to intimidate people intentionally, it just does without my trying.

Sometimes people think I must not be very bright... again because of the physical size and being quiet most of the time thing, when in fact I'm very intelligent. Sometimes this works to my advantage.

People I go out with assume sometimes that I'm bored or that I don't like them or are not interested in them because I don't talk much, when really... it's just that I don't talk much. It has nothing to do with you.

Often I am accused of trying to use big words or complicated speech to try and make other people feel small or make myself sound smart. I get accused of being condescending sometimes for a variety of different reasons- I think sometimes because I can back up arguments with actual facts and not just random opinions I pull out of my butt. In reality... ironically... I often try to dumb-down my speech, intentionally using smaller words, more conversational and coloquial speech patterns, etc... so that I'm easier to understand. I never use big words just to try and make myself sound smart, this is just the way thoughts go through my head. I've always loved words, I used to read the Oxford English Dictionary for fun. I have a knack for retaining all sorts of trivial information, and I enjoy a good debate, so sometimes when I'm just having fun I think I come across as adversarial, confrontational, and perhaps a bit opinionated or big-headed.... when really I think of myself as pretty humble, open-minded, and usually one to avoid *real* confrotnation, even if I do enjoy a little mental/verbal sparring from time to time.

People who see my car assume that I'm rich. I'm not. They also assume that I want to race them in their dippy little crap rice burners. I don't. Many assume I must be some arrogant prick. I'm not. They also like to think that they're clever by quoting the cliche that guys who drive nice sports cars must have small dicks. hehe... if only they knew.:biggrin1: Cops like to pull me over because I guess they think I must have a lot of money and enjoy paying for idiotic unecessary speeding tickets. I don't. Sometimes people see the car + my age and assume that I must have some great job, or that I'm a spoiled little rich kid who's daddy bought him a nice car. Both are false. Lotta baggage with that car...

Because I'm male, predominantly "white", and American... of course a lot of stereotypes get heaped on me, just like every other person who fits that decription. But most "male" stereotypes don't apply to me. I don't like sports, I'm in touch with my femenine side, I don't drink beer, I care more about my partner than myself during sex, etc. Most "American" stereotypes also don't fit... I'm not completely ignorant of world affairs, I have traveled extensively outside of the country, I don't believe that that the USA is without faults, I am well-read and well-educated. Most "white" stereotypes also don't fit.. though I am part Cherokee also. I'm open-minded, non-racist, non-judgmental... my thinking is often not very Euro-centric. Some people would label my attitudes about race as color and power evasive, but I think it's more complicated than that and I hate being labeled, period.

All the ignorant 'tards out there who label themselves as either Republican or Democrat or conservative or liberal invariably assume that I must be on the other side of the debate as they are and then heap on whatever stereotypes they assume go along with that. My dad- Fox News watcher, Sean Hannity/Bill O'Reilly fan, Bush supporter.... he thinks I'm a flaming liberal. My friend Ben, who is very liberal, often accuses me of being a Republican. For the record, I think both parties are hopeless corrupt, inept and ineffectual, would never associate with either, and feel sincere pity for those who do and then blindly follow behind them, apparently unable to form any of their own opinions. On these boards, I get falsely labeled a conservative more often than the other way around, but these boards have a pretty extreme liberal bias.

I sometimes am to blame for the above mischaracterization... because I enjoy sometimes playing the devil's advocate, and come across as caring about whatever point I'm arguing when really I'm just bringing it up for the sake of argument.

A lot of girls assume I must be some kind of player... combination of different things... some of them think I'm hot, some think I dress well, add to that the nice car, the big dick, etc... and they think I must be getting laid all the time and take it for granted that I'm lying to them when I act interested and/or single. A lot of people assume I must be dishonest, especially when I meet them online. Because I stand out in a lot of ways I suppose, they think I must be lying. About the Viper. Or the big dick. Or the high IQ. Or my height or whatever. Another irony, since in fact I'm really painfully honest, sometimes to a fault. and though I can't really complain about not getting laid enough, as I get my fair share, I'm really not much of a player. I'm a pitifully bad liar. My social skills are pretty lacking. and more often than not I am single. When I'm in a relationship, though I have cheated before, typically I'm only with one person at a time.

I'm misunderstood in a lot of ways, but those are the ones I could come up with off the top of my head.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well...i talk a lot and think later what i say...i do not marinate things in my mind..

Its a problem...:rolleyes:

ruinean

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Many have seemed to think me a doormat because I have always been slight of build. I let them get away with it most of the time for simplicity sake, but a few have been very badly surprised. Many think I am a know-it-all, but I do have an IQ well above average, and am well educated, plus I have little patience for willful stupidity. Most think me worldly, but I am actually very spiritual.

tiff86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think people who just meet me get the idea I'm all sweet and innocent. I guess sometimes I do come across like that but really I'm not as sweet and innocent as they think.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have the reputation of being a difficult-to-work-with wiseass. Whether I am one? Maybe. However, a contribution to this is that my jokes tend to be hurting for some guy, yet I don't mean to hurt anyone. Sometimes its just a joke I tell the wrong people, and he feels offended for that.

The other thing is that once people hear I spent over 20 years as AF flygirl, they think I'm into being treated like I was Lady General, or something like that. Not that they'd get their act together when I ask them to do so, but they switch their talking to that barking Drill Sergeant tone, even if they have never seen an AFB from inside.

Men tend to be a little irritated by my height and appearance. I'm not aware of anything about me that couldn't be fun for a man, but maybe the combination of an intelligent woman with physical strength AND boobs makes them doubt whether they could still be on top there. (They could ;-))

Aloha!

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Welll...people think that short means that I have no opinions...that I'm stupid...that I have the personality of a kid my size...and...that I'm not worth listening to. The high voice doesn't help either...

Yeah, 5'2" alto doesn't really scream born leader...it shouldn't be that way but it is. I've cried a river, built a bridge and jumped off of it (if you don't get it that's understandable...a lot of the people in my class didn't either...).

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
With new people and new situations im very shy and reserved, i think usually its mistaken as being arrogant or me thinking im above them, buts its just i have a quiet nature until i get to know people.

Also quite a few people have though i am gay, but its only because i prefer being 'one of the boys', dirty jokes, drinks, etc even though i think im rather girly however some people dont see it i guess

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
stud_hunter said:
I try to be direct about what I want and sometimes people think I come across bitchy, but people who know me know I just think I deserve to be direct about my desires.

Sounds like a distinction without a difference. Maybe you're not misunderstood at all.

WhiteAnacondar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People often pre-judge that I have a tiny penis and am physically weak just because I am short. All the more surprise when I pull down my pants or get into a fight. Never the two at the same time!:smile: