How bad do you think the idea is to take people's money offer?

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I mean, I'm in a dilemma again (yes, again). If you guys remember, I had to choose between Turkish education where I studied what I love but the scholarship only gave me 200 liras permonth, or I can choose this local scholarship where the money is huuuge but I'd study what I'm not interested in, Social Work.

Well, as crushed as I am, I chose the safe road, the rich scholarship because I don't believe I can succeed in Turkey with that little money. But, as cruel as life is, it's never happy to see I'm getting comfortable with my decision, so it had to get my hopes high again.

Suddenly, one very dear friend of mine offers me something I can't refuse, well, before I give a lot of thoughts about it. He said he's more than happy to help me by contributing $500 in the first month of me settling down in Turkey and he'll send more money in the next months. His offer is very generous, plus I could finally further my studies in a dream country and a dream field, Forensic Psychology.

So, wise and intelligent fellows of mine, what will you do if you're in this situation? Will you take the offer? Isn't it a lot of money to take? Will it usually bite you back in the future? He's a good friend, so I am quite sure there will be no catch. I just don't want to jeopardize our friendship because this might affect it. I don't know.

Please, your input is very much appreciated. I have to make a decision in several days.

p/s: I already said no for 6 times, and he's determined with his offer and he really hopes that I could make my dream come true. And sorry for the long thread.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
err, don't you like feel a bit hesitant when someone (an individual, not a body or government) offers you a big amount of money?

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
well if it's someone i know very well and trust, as you mentioned, i wouldn't feel so uncomfortable as long as i realize that this money is an investment in my education and should be used wizely.... however, by accepting a scholarship, you further endorse the use of that scholarship so that others can be eligible for the same funding in the future.... also, a scholarship is much more reliable as it's a legally binding contract.... a promise from a friend can be easily broken, and you would find yourself really screwed if something were to happen....

but if you were to take my personal opinion, i would suggest taking the social work route.... it would enable you to help a LOT of really needy people and make a difference in this world.... and more people rely on social services now than ever before so the job options after you finish school would be amazing....

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'd advise you to do what you love. But 500 dollars is nothing in Istanbul and 200 liras is less than nothing. Istanbul has really high rents. The traffic is horrendous and unless you are very close to your school/work, you'll spent hours everyday commuting.

That being said, it's one of the coolest places in the world to live! So I understand your dilemma.

You need more money though. With food and rent and transportation you could barely scrape by on 1500TL per month if you have some kind of communal living situation.

Follow your dream, or you'll be unhappy and always wonder "what could have been?".

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
well if it's someone i know very well and trust, as you mentioned, i wouldn't feel so uncomfortable as long as i realize that this money is an investment in my education and should be used wizely.... however, by accepting a scholarship, you further endorse the use of that scholarship so that others can be eligible for the same funding in the future.... also, a scholarship is much more reliable as it's a legally binding contract.... a promise from a friend can be easily broken, and you would find yourself really screwed if something were to happen....

but if you were to take my personal opinion, i would suggest taking the social work route.... it would enable you to help a LOT of really needy people and make a difference in this world.... and more people rely on social services now than ever before so the job options after you finish school would be amazing....

Yup, I was thinking about that too. It's just a mere friendly promise, from a nice friend, but still it's not really reliable, as anything might happen. Thank you.

I'd advise you to do what you love. But 500 dollars is nothing in Istanbul and 200 liras is less than nothing. Istanbul has really high rents. The traffic is horrendous and unless you are very close to your school/work, you'll spent hours everyday commuting.

That being said, it's one of the coolest places in the world to live! So I understand your dilemma.

You need more money though. With food and rent and transportation you could barely scrape by on 1500TL per month if you have some kind of communal living situation.

Follow your dream, or you'll be unhappy and always wonder "what could have been?".

The scholarship already covers the fees, the public transportation and accommodation, the only thing I have to think about here is other stuffs such as food and stationary. Thesis materials too, perhaps.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Go to Turkey, you'll get a part time job easy. Plus you need money for food and going out.