How come forums contain more liberals than the general population does?

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Why do you think so many department stores advertised it as a "Holiday"? It offended some 'individuals', who then return the purchase and state that as the reason. Sometimes one has to read between the lines.

That's not an example of political correctness. That's simple economics at work. Something a self-proclaimed Conservative should laud. If it turned out to be in their economic interest to say "Christmas" instead of "Holiday," they'd go ahead and do so (and in some places, they do).

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why do you think so many department stores advertised it as a "Holiday"? It offended some 'individuals', who then return the purchase and state that as the reason. Sometimes one has to read between the lines.
Ok, let me see if I get this straight. America is the most religious country on Earth by probably an order of magnitude. Some 80% of the population of the USA identify themselves as Christians. And your claim is that department stores are replacing the word Christmas with the word Holiday so as to not offend anyone? Is that your claim?

Secondly, department stores in the USA probably realize almost half their business duriing the Christmas season. How likely is it that they are making any decisions about public perception based not on profit motive, but on making sure a few people are not offended? This isn't political correctness, it is capitalism.

Finally, stores have been using the Happy Holidays thing for as long as I can remember, which is a very long time. These days they start hyping the holidays almost before Halloween and up until a few days after Christmas. In that this spans at least fiive holidays, including Hannukah, doesn't it make sense that a store would say "Happy Holidays".

By the way, this ridiculous War On Christmas fear dates back into early in the 20th century.

In the 1921 screed “The International Jew: The World’s Foremost Problem,” automaker and notorious anti-Semite Henry Ford observed that “most people had a hard time finding Christmas cards that indicated in any way that Christmas commemorated Someone’s Birth.” He noted menacingly, “Now, all this begins with the designers of the cards.”
Later, the Soviet Union and the United Nations were fingered for plotting to undermine Christmas. A 1959 John Birch Society pamphlet stated, “One of the techniques being applied by the Reds was to weaken the pillar of religion in our country is the drive to take Christ out of Christmas — to denude the event of its religious meaning.” The writer sounded the alarm: “Department stores throughout the country are to utilize UN symbols and emblems as Christmas decorations.”

Sometimes one has to actually read something instead of listening to Bill O'Reilly and his paranoid rants.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't personally know a lot of conservatives but I'd bet money most aren't into BDSM or other kinky or fetish type sexual acts.

They are. They just don't talk about it as much. Nobody really knows what is going on behind their neighbor's doors.

That said I have never had sex with or even kissed a Republican.

Of course you did.:biggrin1: You just didn't follow him into the voting booth. :tongue:

I've been to boards that were overrun with conservatives who tried to shout down anyone who dared disagree with them.

And liberal boards try to shout down conservatives. It would be nice if there was a board for both sides of the fence but that will never happen. When you join any board you're not really sure what you're going to get. Some can't take the heat, and leave if one person disagrees with them.

I doubt if this website would tolerate anti Hillary or anti Obama threads. People would cry sexism and racism. Yet when it comes to Bush, you have this, and a whole lot more.......

http://www.lpsg.org/73676-fuck-george-bush.html

http://www.lpsg.org/73909-does-gw-bush-have-presenile.html

http://www.lpsg.org/46434-lies-misdeeds-fuck-ups-bush.html

In fact, I'd like to see someone start a thread "f--k Hillary", "f--k Obama", or "f--k John Edwards", and I'm not using the word "f--k" in a sexual context. Or imagine a thread that said MLK wasn't that great a man.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...I doubt if this website would tolerate anti Hillary or anti Obama threads. People would cry sexism and racism. Yet when it comes to Bush, you have this, and a whole lot more.......

http://www.lpsg.org/73676-fuck-george-bush.html

http://www.lpsg.org/73909-does-gw-bush-have-presenile.html

http://www.lpsg.org/46434-lies-misdeeds-fuck-ups-bush.html

In fact, I'd like to see someone start a thread "f--k Hillary", "f--k Obama", or "f--k John Edwards", and I'm not using the word "f--k" in a sexual context. Or imagine a thread that said MLK wasn't that great a man.
Italian,
I think you are confusing the liberal/conservative polarization with the simple fact that Bush is an extremely unpopular president? Even the Republican candidates are not Bush supporters.

The incompetence of the Bush administration is pretty well acknowledged by everyone the world over. People of all political persuasions are very angry with him. Liberals are angry with him over his policies and conservatives are angry with him for not being competent to carry them out.

So yes, if someone comes on any board to say they support GWB, I am certain there will be lots of derision regardless of political persuasion.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Italian,
I think you are confusing the liberal/conservative polarization with the simple fact that Bush is an extremely unpopular president? Even the Republican candidates are not Bush supporters.

I realize he is very unpopular but how many times do we have to hear it? And the Republicans candidates have to distance themselves from him if they want to get in. That's politics.

So yes, if someone comes on any board to say they support GWB, I am certain there will be lots of derision regardless of political persuasion.

And someone would be crucified if they posted that Clinton or Obama becoming president would be the downfall of America.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
... They just don't talk about it as much. Nobody really knows what is going on behind their neighbor's doors.
If they doing X and saying don't do X, it's hypocrisy. That's something I detest.

Continuing with the hypocrisy vein ...
I doubt if this website would tolerate anti Hillary or anti Obama threads. People would cry sexism and racism. Yet when it comes to Bush, you have this, and a whole lot more.......
True, unfortunately.

I'm of an opinion that elected officials should be given some respect, even those I disagree with. I might despise their beliefs and positions but wouldn't use vile language towards them. So of the shit hurled at Bush is nauseating. I haven't looked at the "Fuck George Bush" thread, and I won't, because I know that I'll find it repugnant.

Liberals sometimes preach "tolerance" and to be accepting of divergent ideas, but many don't practice what they preach are thusly hypocrites.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I realize he is very unpopular but how many times do we have to hear it? And the Republicans candidates have to distance themselves from him if they want to get in. That's politics.

And someone would be crucified if they posted that Clinton or Obama becoming president would be the downfall of America.

But again, that's not refuting JA's point at all.

His point is that supporting Bush over a forum is going to result in negative replies because he's so unpopular in general, not because of some significantly higher proportion of Liberal-minded individuals on Internet forums in general.

And on this forum in particular, a place that's clearly left-leaning because of its very nature, of course a thread praising GWB would receive a negative response, especially given his position regarding gay rights.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

No, its is much more than politics. GWB is unpopular because most Americans believe he is doing very real damage to the country that will take decades to recover from. A war is still being conducted and laws are still being made every day. It is imperative that Americans continue to make themselves heard if they really think change is required. It is what any patriot would do and should do. Thats why we have to hear it over and over again.

Yes, either side might defend their policital heroes from a statement like that, but in the case of GWB, 60% of the public would agree with the statement.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm of an opinion that elected officials should be given some respect, even those I disagree with.

I once believed this as well, Steve, and I tried to follow through with it. I really did but I failed. I changed my mind after observing all the respectful dissent offered up by the right wing noise machine during the Clinton years. What I saw didn't inspire me to a higher degree of patriotic respect for those with different views.

I'll offer respect to those institutions and individuals who earn it. I've seen some cases of it. But I feel much less inclinded to robotically dole out courtesy or deference simply by dint of a leader's office and title.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If they doing X and saying don't do X, it's hypocrisy. That's something I detest.

Hypocrisy is alive and well no matter what your religion, economic background, or political affiliation you associate yourself with.

I'm of an opinion that elected officials should be given some respect, even those I disagree with. I might despise their beliefs and positions but wouldn't use vile language towards them.

I agree with that completely. It makes America look bad and intolerant to the rest of the world. It proves absolutely nothing.

So of the shit hurled at Bush is nauseating. I haven't looked at the "Fuck George Bush" thread, and I won't, because I know that I'll find it repugnant.

I haven't looked at it either, and I wouldn't look at a "f--k Obama" or "f--k Hillary" thread.

Liberals sometimes preach "tolerance" and to be accepting of divergent ideas, but many don't practice what they preach are thusly hypocrites.

That's very true. They have their own agenda but don't see it as an agenda. :confused:

MOST people don't practice what they preach. Including most preachers...

Preachers, politicians, professors, many people in leadership positions.

His point is that supporting Bush over a forum is going to result in negative replies because he's so unpopular in general, not because of some significantly higher proportion of Liberal-minded individuals on Internet forums in general.

I believe it's both--he is unpopular and this site is liberal leaning. Not all internet forums are like this one.
And on this forum in particular, a place that's clearly left-leaning because of its very nature, of course a thread praising GWB would receive a negative response, especially given his position regarding gay rights.

His position on gay rights is not that different from anyone else running. I don't know why that keeps being brought up as if it's the only issue a president has to deal with. It's a blip on the radar screen for a president. Clinton started "don't ask, don't tell" and now his wife says she will overturn it. None of the candidates support gay marriage, but most approve of civil unions. If you are voting for a candidate based on his/her gay rights position, you will be very disappointed.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I believe it's both--he is unpopular and this site is liberal leaning. Not all internet forums are like this one.

And again, this thread is about "forums" in a general sense, which are going to generally have a negative feeling about GWB not because of being more Liberal, but because he's generally unpopular with all groups.

His position on gay rights is not that different from anyone else running. I don't know why that keeps being brought up as if it's the only issue a president has to deal with. It's a blip on the radar screen for a president. Clinton started "don't ask, don't tell" and now his wife says she will overturn it. None of the candidates support gay marriage, but most approve of civil unions. If you are voting for a candidate based on his/her gay rights position, you will be very disappointed.

First you say his position is no different, then you say Clinton wants to overturn "don't ask, don't tell." It may not be more than "a blip on the radar screen for a president" to you, but preserving the rights granted to us by the Constitution for all American citizens is very important to me, as it is to many. And I'm a Moderate.

And for reference, Paul and Kucinich both directly state that they oppose anti-gay marriage federal laws, Kucinich states clearly that he is pro-gay marriage, and Obama, in spite of saying that he believes marriage is between a man and a woman, opposed a constitutional amendment against gay marriage. The remaining Republicans clearly state they are against it, and have varying opinions on civil unions, and the Democrats on the whole agree that civil unions at least should be legal for gays. So, to act like there's no difference between the candidates on the issue is just not true.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...And for reference, Paul and Kucinich both directly state that they oppose anti-gay marriage federal laws, Kucinich states clearly that he is pro-gay marriage, and Obama, in spite of saying that he believes marriage is between a man and a woman, opposed a constitutional amendment against gay marriage. The remaining Republicans clearly state they are against it, and have varying opinions on civil unions, and the Democrats on the whole agree that civil unions at least should be legal for gays. So, to act like there's no difference between the candidates on the issue is just not true.

In fact anyone who thinks there is no difference between the Republican and Democratic candidates this time around is just a lazy slob. There are huge, dramatic and extremely important differences. All it takes is watching a few debates or even the news channels the next morning to figure that out.

THEEman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
well if he supported bush with some GOOD facts unarguable facts then yah. but so far no one can do that, to an extent but it seems al of THOSE facts are easily arguable, while the liberal facts/ideas are well maybe not so and in fact gaining support. but its EASILY do-able with liberals. so maybe its called evolution? or this could be just a fad, bush-bashing, and maybe we are wrong and it will all end in a nuclear holy war. but you must ask is it really right to hate almost all of the middle east, but the ones we DONT hate seem to be the ones with oil and the ones we already support? we never know until we have full unabashed knowledge of what TRUELY goes on over there, this ideaology helps with just about everyting. but we never will.

butttt I also think the constitution is outdated.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
First you say his position is no different, then you say Clinton wants to overturn "don't ask, don't tell."

I believe she is the only one who has said that. And it doesn't mean it will even happen if she does get into the white house.

It may not be more than "a blip on the radar screen for a president" to you, but preserving the rights granted to us by the Constitution for all American citizens is very important to me, as it is to many. And I'm a Moderate.

If people are going to vote for a candidate for that little blip, they are going to be very disappointed. The Constitution will continue to be debated when we're all dead and buried.
And for reference, Paul and Kucinich both directly state that they oppose anti-gay marriage federal laws, Kucinich states clearly that he is pro-gay marriage, and Obama, in spite of saying that he believes marriage is between a man and a woman, opposed a constitutional amendment against gay marriage. The remaining Republicans clearly state they are against it, and have varying opinions on civil unions, and the Democrats on the whole agree that civil unions at least should be legal for gays. So, to act like there's no difference between the candidates on the issue is just not true.

I should have said viable candidates, of which Paul and Kucinich are not.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you really think that real conservatives would visit this site?