How Did Your Vote Go Today?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dcwrestlefan, Nov 7, 2006.

1. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

walked into the polling place in herndon va with no line at 1030 am. woo hoo! apparently missed the pre-work crowd, which was large, according to the lady that checked me in. and a lunch rush was expected as was one after people got off work.

it's not getting much airplay, but a gay marriage ban is on the ballot. i suspect it will pass, sad to say.

congrats to ohio for electing a democratic governor for the first time in 16 years, if things go as the "talking heads" are predicting. and santorum is going down.

no good bugles seen at the precinct. ;-)

2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oregon has vote-by-mail so I encountered no polling lines today.

How did my vote go? Well, it didn't go GOP.

3. naughty

Gold Member

I voted thoughtfully and all across party lines depending upon who made the best argument. I was totally disgusted with the negative ad campaigns and it made me glad it is all over.

4. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Here in Eastern Mass. most of the offices had only Dem or Green candidates running. Hardly worth getting out of bed for that. At least we still had the old "fill in the dot" ballots, and didn't have to dick around with those electronic do-funnies which plagued so many states.

5. agnslz

Gold Member

I voted early this morning and I encountered no problems. The line was not too long and it moved along at a decent pace. New Mexico switched to paper ballots this year. I was sort of annoyed with having to fill out those little bubbles but it wasn't hard. I'm anal and had to make sure that they were filled in perfectly is all.:rolleyes:

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

My vote went to Gubernatorial Democratic candidate Deval Patrick.

He won too - only the second American of African descent who will hold the office of state governor.

I've just watched his acceptance speech where he thanked everyone of his support groups by name with the notable excepion of his huge gay constituency.

Politics as usual. And rhetorical bullshit as usual.

I ought to have followed my heart and voted for Grace Ross the Rainbow Party candidate.

7. wi_sugargrl

wi_sugargrl New Member

Albums:
    The returns are still coming in for Wisconsin, but it looks like Doyle (D) will get re-elected as governor :frown1: .

The only thing I'm really interested in, though, is the gay marriage ban - I voted "no" and I certainly hope it doesn't pass. I saw that 8 states have it on the ballot this year and that it may pass in VA and some other state :frown1: .

Sugar :rolleyes:

8. Freeboy

Freeboy New Member

Albums:
    I voted in Georgia this morning, dodging two major rainstorms. I am still baffled that this state is even more Republican-leaning by Tuesday's end .. :confused: re-electing Sonny Perdue (R) as Governor and adding Casey Cagle (R) as the new Lieutenant Governor. It's weird, but in GA, you can have those two offices represented by different parties.

So, seeing that the state of Georgia is trending even more ass-backwards .. I keep my eyes on the U.S. Senate and House races. Change starts with the top! We need to really clean house in Washington, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for results there.

My actual voting process was pretty painless. I was in line for about 10 mins. and used the electronic voting machines. Pretty simple.

9. wi_sugargrl

wi_sugargrl New Member

Albums:
    Bad news - looks like the marriage amendment passed here in Wisconsin :frown1: .

Sugar

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Sugar, it passed in Virginia, too. And I bet the VA one is worse than any of the others that were on the ballot across the country. It starts out by targeting homosexuals, but continues on to harrass any non-married couple in a relationship. It is truly disgusting.

11. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Voted on new computerized machines for the first time. :smile: The gay-marriage ban in VA passed, and as DC pointed out, it extends to unmarried couples. It became apparent last week that a huge percentage of Virginians didn't realize that the wording would include others. Welcome to democracy.:rolleyes:

12. dong20

Gold Member

The headline (Front Page no less) in the early edition of today's London Evening Standard is:

"PRESIDENT IS BUSH-WHACKED".

It mentions a recount in Virginia which holds the key to the Senate? You have to have hope.

13. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Member

I saw the "Bush-Whacked" line being used in reference to the failed re-election campaign of Bush I, so the guy who came up with this wasn't being particularly clever. Anyhow, since there seem to be quite a few Brits on this site (at least to me), I was wondering what impressions our British friends might have of the election results.

14. dong20

Gold Member

I have to say I doubted it was an original! As for the results, and speaking only for myself. It's a mid term of course but anything that can clip, or even crimp the wings of Bush and his cronies can only be a benefit to us all.

15. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that everywhere that there was a ban on gay marriage, it passed. It wasn't the time for this... the country was not ready. All of the fights for gay marriage that have been going on in the last few years have been for NOTHING! IT FUCKING COST US THE 2004 election! The itchy trigger finger that people had in San Francisco and Massachusets was in fact the reason for a huge republican backlash! The country is full of racist, gay haters... WAKE UP! The country isn't even as liberal as we were in the 70's for crying out loud! Now this country is a rocky barren place for the gay agenda to thrive and grow. If they would have waited a few more years, gays might have been able to get married accross the country! Now the atmosphere is a choking one. Idealism ran slap into Reality. Living in a red state, the fact that rednecks run the show, is something I am all too aware of, I don't kid myself for one second! The rednecks simply weren't ready for the gay agenda. Now WTF do we do now?

16. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I guess tripod... we (as blacks were in the 1960s) aren't willing to wait any longer.

I know it's true for me and with the passing of the amendments in VA. and Wisconsin I'm reminded of how undemocratic a country we really have.

Again- had marriages between the races been put to popular vote it'd still be forbidden.

Some things simply must be mandated and not left to popluar vote.

Tripod? You know I think you're the bomb. Truly I do. But speaking as a rather exhausted gay man after these elections I'm ready to expatriate to a place where reason prevails.

I don't give a flying fuck what the country is 'full of'.

And yes it is full of 'racists' and 'gay haters' and I'm fully 'awake' to it. Difference is the racists will get shouted down more often than not. The 'gay haters' will go largely unnoticed as they "amend" me right out of my ancestral land.

This is some fucked up shit.

17. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:

18. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Arizona had similar legislation on the ballot this year and became the first state in the union to reject any such measure when it came up. Usually they pass and by a large margin. Dumb thing is, there is already anti-gay legislation on the books in most states. The Republicans are only making an issue out of this to get their homophobic base to the polls. Notice that queers getting hitched is only a problem during election years.

19. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I'm looking forward to leaving as well. May be very soon. Almost done with school now...

20. madame_zora

Gold Member

Stronzo, I hear ya, honestly. Spain passed the gay marriage laws over a year ago, and you can't ask for nicer weather. I think of it often, and will consider it a serious option if this place gets too stupid.

The problem with the timing right now is that the "redneck morons" have had too much power (illegally, I might add) for too long. It will be interesting to see if anyone important, like Pelosi, FINALLY has the 'nads to dissolve the Dept of Family Values, which is in direct violation of the first amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

This will be the first step necessary before we can even have a sane discussion about equal rights for EVERYONE, not just breeding xians. I'm probably almost as upset about them as you, I wish this was not the best we could do for our gay brothers and sisters. It seems there's enough religion in the world to make men hate each other, but not enough to make them love.

Draft saved Draft deleted