How difficult is it to become a citizen of Canada?

Media
Right now I live in New York City and am an American citizen, I've visited several parts of Canada and am in love with the country. Later in life I've always considered moving there. I have a small family, just my brother and mother. I was thinking many years from now after my mother moves on I'd like to live there. I really love the weather, the people seem very friendly, it's cleaner, better health care system, etc.

So legally speaking, how difficult is it to become a citizen? Am I allowed to have dual citizenship with the United States or do I have to give that up? Also, I do not have a college degree. It seems these days in the US if you want a chance at even a decent job a degree is a must. Are there decent jobs in Canada that do not require degrees? What are the costs of education there if I decided I wanted to persue a degree while living there?

I have a bit of money saved up that I could live off of for awhile while establishing myself there. What other information do you think might be handy for a yankee like myself looking to cross the border permanently?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
There are very few good jobs around that you don't need schooling for. It's probably just as difficult as getting American citizenship. Google it and find out?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
The best thing is to give you the website for Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada
The first thing you have to do is become a permanent resident, and then, after living in Canada for at least three years within a four-year period, you can apply for citizenship.
The procedures and the encumbrances are all mentioned at that website.
Good luck.

uncircumsized

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Decide on which province your going to live in. There are many universities (college as they call it south of the border) It can be costly. As for the weather, I don't know how you would like -40 celcius in the winter in certain areas. So it depends where you want to live, it could feel just like an american city.

don't forget to intone every sentence like a question, and end with that annoying "eh?"

It shouldn't be too hard - all you have to do is replace the annoying American "huh?" and not speak with a brain dead southern drawl, or drop your "r" like they do in New "Yoik". What you may find even harder is speaking in a tone of voice that only your intended recipient can hear rather than the entire room.

Last edited by a moderator:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It shouldn't be too hard - all you have to do is replace the annoying American "huh?" and speak with a southern drawl, or drop your "r" like they do in New "Yoik". What you may find even harder is speaking in a tone of voice that only your intended recipient can hear rather than the entire room.

Major snaps for AG08! :biggrin1: