How Do I Know If It's Stomach Flu?

I haven't eaten for over 12 hours and I woke-up with stomach pains, feeling a bit woozy, and tired.

My dilemma is whether or not I should try to eat anything. I feel colder than usual but don't have any chills. I don't have a thermometer so I can't take my temperature.

I'm half tempted to have some hot and sour soup and see if that stays down and makes me feel better. I can't tell if I have flu or simply hunger pains. Any good way to know?

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
start small with hot tea? if you're tummy is friendly move on to soup? the woozy sounds more like you need to eat.

hope you feel better.
ML

maybe tea with toast and honey.

Last edited:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

I haven't eaten for over 12 hours and I woke-up with stomach pains, feeling a bit woozy, and tired.

My dilemma is whether or not I should try to eat anything. I feel colder than usual but don't have any chills. I don't have a thermometer so I can't take my temperature.

I'm half tempted to have some hot and sour soup and see if that stays down and makes me feel better. I can't tell if I have flu or simply hunger pains. Any good way to know?

Stomach Flu or Influenza?

OK, OK, gastroenteritis.... sorry to call it flu when it isn't.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
What was the last thing you ate at that 12 hour mark?

Crackers are good too for a hurting stomach, any other symptoms?

I'm thinking hot and sour soup wouldn't be too good of an idea if you have real stomach issues, I'm thinking the spices won't be pleasant lol.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If it feels like you swallowed shards of glass it's food poisoning. If you feel hot then cold it's probably the stomach flu. If it's coming out both ends it's probably the stomach flu or you have been mixing your liquors.:tongue::redface:

IMO-Hot and sour soup is not going to help either one.

Saltines and Mrs. Grass Chicken noodle soup will make you feel better.

Last thing I ate before bed was a bowl of oatmeal.

I talked to my RN friend and he advised to try eating something and all I really have is hot and sour soup. I have some left over mu shu, but I think that would be even worse.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it comes out.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I would advise against trying hot & sour soup; it's too acidic and spicy. Plain broth would be better.

Stomach Flu or Influenza?

There's lots of good information there.

Jason, you say you have stomach pains but you don't say whether or not you feel nauseated. Stomach pain is so general it could be a lot of common things (cramping, gas, indigestion, ulcer, constipation) as well as more serious stuff (appendicitis, gallstones, intestinal obstruction). When was your last bowel movment? Was it "normal"?

If you have a fever and/or severe pain, get to a doctor. If you don't feel that bad now, but later develop and fever and/or severe pain, get to a doctor.

If you've been feeling nauseated, the most important thing is to get some fluids in you. Feeling woozy suggests that you may be getting dehydrated. I find that ginger ale is best. If you don't have any you can try cola, weak tea, or plain broth. Avoid anything strongly caffeinated or acidic (no coffee or fruit juice). Avoid dairy products for a few days. Sip the liquid slowly as you'll be more likely to keep it down.

If you can keep the liquids down and aren't feeling too nauseated, try nibbling some crackers or dry toast. If that goes OK, try other items on the BRAT diet. You can also try jello.

When your appetite comes back, start eating more normally, but avoid dairy products, spicy foods, acidic foods, and fried or fatty foods for a couple of days. Eat things like rice, chicken (roasted or broiled), rice, potatoes. As you feel up to it, gradually introduce more foods until you're eating normally again.

If you're not nauseated but are having cramping or other types of pain, or if eating makes you feel worse (but not nauseated), and you're not feeling better tomorrow, then go see a doctor. Many different things could be the problem.

You're such a sweetie Meniscus. We have to get together at some point.... Like at the NYC Meet and Greet!

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...all I really have is hot and sour soup. I have some left over mu shu, but I think that would be even worse.

Yeah, mu shu would be worse.

In the future, try to keep these things in the house at all times: ginger ale, saltines, bread, rice, applesauce, jello, and cans of broth and/or bouillon cubes. If/when you get sick, you will always have something to eat.

If you don't have these things in the house when you need them, you may have to call a friend to run to the store to pick them up for you. (I've had to do that before, on two separate occasions, but it wasn't 1:30 a.m. at the time.)

The mildest thing in my pantry are two cans of creamed corn which someone mistakenly put in my shopping cart. I don't have any ready comfort foods, not even any soda. I'll have to go down to the convenience store and see what they have.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You're such a sweetie Meniscus. We have to get together at some point.... Like at the NYC Meet and Greet!

NYC terrifies me, but I'll seriously consider it. I know there's a thread about it somewhere, but would you be so kind as to send me the link or pm me with the details? Thanks.

OK, hot and sour soup is down. Waiting to see what happens. :fingersx:

Oh I'm alive.... I'm OK right now though my stomach still feels queasy. I feel like I want to go to bed and sleep some more even though I woke at 9pm so I may do that.

Thank you guys for your help. I hope to pull through.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Your immune system should pull you through. Every now and then I get a tummy bubble outta nowhere, gas, diarrhea and then it's gone. My friend made soup the other day and both of us got gas, but I got diarrhea too. Ate some the next day and only got the gas. It was prepared fresh. Maybe cheap broth from the $ store expired? It was in one of those square cardboard boxes like cheap wine or soy milk rather than canned.

Blessings. Be well soon.

I had a good sleep of about 4 hours but when I woke-up I noticed I was slightly dizzy and chill so assume I have a slight fever. My tummy still feels a bit undone so I haven't eaten anything. I'm sipping green tea with lemon and watching It's Me or the Dog.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media

Maybe you are pregnant, Jason.:eek: