How do i pronounce Arkansas

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
And I suppose 24 hours from Tulsa could be anywhere on the planet?

Honey, 24 hours from Tulsa would be a relief.

Or some might say,

Worcester = Wistah
Gloucester = Glawstah
Haverhill = Hayvrull
Peobody = Pbd (haha, yes or phonetically, Peebadee)
Billerica = Billricka (or if you live there its more like Brrika).
Quincy = Quinzy
Leominster = Lemstah
Medford = Meffah
Methuen = Mettooin
Chatham = Chattum
Concord = Congkid (light on the g, but it is there).
Somerville = Sumvull
Nahant = Nahahnt
Tewksbury = Tooksbry
Chelmsford = Chemsfid
Lowell = Lowl

You're clearly a local boy, too. :biggrin1:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Is it as spelt, AR-KAN-SAS or is it AR-KAN-SAW?

I've always referred to it as the latter and never been corrected but i was talking to a colleague today and she said the first one, i did'nt question it cos i knew what she meant.

Arkansas is pronounced AR-KAN-SAW. It is kinda like Worchestershire in Worchestershire sauce is pronounced "Wurs-chur-sure" and not WOR-CHESTER-SHY-YER. And Leicester is pronounced "Lester" and not LEE-SESTER.

No problem. I used to mispronounced the ADIRONDACK in adirondack chairs as ADD-IRON-DACK. The furniture sales guy just :rolleyes:. But he just pronounced it correctly for me as "Oh, :eek: ADD-DUR-RON-DACK."

English...what a funny language.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Or some might say,

Worcester = Wistah
Gloucester = Glawstah
Haverhill = Hayvrull
Quincy = Quinzy
Leominster = Lemstah
Medford = Meffah
Methuen = Mettooin
Chatham = Chattum
Somerville = Sumvull
Nahant = Nahahnt
Tewksbury = Tooksbry
Chelmsford = Chemsfid
Lowell = Lowl

Then there's Hingham (Hing-um, but the "g" is not pronounced as in Cong-kid, it's completely swallowed) and Eastham, which is perversely pronounced Eest-ham, 'cuz anything else would be wicked fuckt.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Honey, 24 hours from Tulsa would be a relief.

You're clearly a local boy, too. :biggrin1:

How do you annunciate Louisville?
  1. Loo-is-ville
  2. Loo-ee-ville
  3. Loo-a-ville
  4. Lu-vil
  5. loo-al
My IPA training is wasted here. I'm lost without my schwa.

I remember recently talking to you about how one pronounces "gunwale" and "cockswain"... in one of those creepy nerd bonding moments. I wonder if non-sailors can guess.

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Or some might say,

Worcester = Wistah
Gloucester = Glawstah
Haverhill = Hayvrull
Quincy = Quinzy
Leominster = Lemstah
Medford = Meffah
Methuen = Mettooin
Chatham = Chattum
Somerville = Sumvull
Nahant = Nahahnt
Tewksbury = Tooksbry
Chelmsford = Chemsfid
Lowell = Lowl
This is instructive, but I would add a warning lest people unacquainted with Bostonian speech be misled by the inclusion of both local standard pronunciations and local peculiarities of accent. A notable instance is the place-name "Concord." To pronounce this like the English word "concord" (that is, "con-cord") is quite simply wrong: the correct pronunciation is homophonous with "conquered." Now in the speech of some locals, there may be no audible "r" in the second syllable; but that is a matter of accent, not of pronunciation (in the sense of the lexical distribution of phonemes). To take another instance, it is wrong to pronounce "Leominster" as if it began with "Leo"; the standard pronunciation is "lemminster"; but locals have the privilege of reducing that to "lemsta."

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
  1. Loo-is-ville
  2. Loo-ee-ville
  3. Loo-a-ville
  4. Lu-vil
  5. loo-al

I remember recently talking to you about how one pronounces "gunwale" and "cockswain"... in one of those creepy nerd bonding moments. I wonder if non-sailors can guess.

And I told you it was gun-ull. Anyway, you are so in the dog house; I'm not even speaking to you at all lately and you know why.

This is instructive, but I would add a warning lest people unacquainted with Bostonian speech be misled by the inclusion of both local standard pronunciations and local peculiarities of accent. A notable instance is the place-name "Concord." To pronounce this like the English word "concord" (that is, "con-cord") is quite simply wrong: the correct pronunciation is homophonous with "conquered." Now in the speech of some locals, there may be no audible "r" in the second syllable; but that is a matter of accent, not of pronunciation (in the sense of the lexical distribution of phonemes). To take another instance, it is wrong to pronounce "Leominster" as if it began with "Leo"; the standard pronunciation is "lemminster"; but locals have the privilege of reducing that to "lemsta."

I usually hear it more like Concud and Leminsta. But for the record, apart from pronouncing local names, I have no Boston accent.

1. Looeyville
  2. Looaville
  3. Luvil

Natives say, "Luvill" but surrounding can say, "looavil" and get away with it.

"Gunwale" is "gunil" and "cockswain" is "coxun" like "boatswain" is "bosun"

"New Orleans," is like that. "Nawlins" is how they say it down their way. Oddly enough, "Baton Rouge" is still pronounced correctly, if without a France-French accent.

Pennsylvania is terribly frustrated. I've neglected to point out that Blue Ball is just 16 miles from Intercourse. It seems that no matter how hard Blue Ball tries, it'll never get any closer to Intercourse. The reason is because Virginville gets in the way and Intercourse is surrounded by the unfortnately-named Leacock. Both are near, but just slightly too far away from Climax. The prudes among us will be happy to know that Blue Ball and Intercourse are a suitable distance from Loleta, Bulger, and Hosensuck.

I cannot get my head around the town named Clyde No. 3. There are no Clydes 1 or 2, just Clyde No. 3. There's also Foot In Ten and Scalp Level.

Pennsylvania is seriously whacked.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Few Floridians know that the Suwanee River was once the San Juan. Spanish to Muskoegan to English. A tributary, the Santa Fe, was in the 19thc pronounced and spelled Santaffy, it has gone back to a regular Spanish pronunciation.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There are a few confusing ones in Scotland too.
Have a guess at Avoch, Milngavie, Dalziel, Garioch, Finzean, Culzean, Kirkcudbright and Anstruther.

(Och, Mul-guy, Dee-ell, Geery, Fingin, Kullain, Cur-coo-brie and Ainster)

Good luck