How do i pronounce Arkansas

lakecreeker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I believe the natives of Arkansas are called Ar Kansasians. State is pronounced Ar- can-saw. What til you get into Iowa and try pronouce the names or towns, Madrid is not like the town in spain. Nevada is not like the state. Des Moines is French and I believe you forget to pronouce the "s's". There are Indian names, French names, German Names for some of the towns. Alot of the rivers are named for animals, and indian terms, or they are like the North, South, Middle. Get a kick out of the polticians and public speakers, National TV anchors slaughter some of the names.

Reactions: TheMeatyProfessor

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
How do you annunciate Louisville?
  1. Loo-is-ville
  2. Loo-ee-ville
  3. Loo-a-ville
  4. Lu-vil
  5. loo-al
My IPA training is wasted here. I'm lost without my schwa.

I remember recently talking to you about how one pronounces "gunwale" and "cockswain"... in one of those creepy nerd bonding moments. I wonder if non-sailors can guess.

It depends on which one you're talking about. Louisville, Colorado is prounounced "Lewis-vill" but in Kentucky the pronunciation is different.

Speaking of Colorado, most people say Call-or-ah-doe (doe pronounced as in "doe, a deer, a female deer"), but I've also heard it pronounced "Cal-ar-a-duh."

Reactions: TheMeatyProfessor

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
There are a few confusing ones in Scotland too.
Have a guess at Avoch, Milngavie, Dalziel, Garioch, Finzean, Culzean, Kirkcudbright and Anstruther.

(Och, Mul-guy, Dee-ell, Geery, Fingin, Kullain, Cur-coo-brie and Ainster)

Good luck
And Hawick, Kirkcaldy, Scone, Strathaven.

Also, Edinburgh is pronounced "Edin-bra" or "Edin-burra" if you're in formal company. Never "Edin-burrow" or "Edin-burg".

w0lfh0wl

Loved Member
Media
Leominster (Massachusetts, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is instructive, but I would add a warning lest people unacquainted with Bostonian speech be misled by the inclusion of both local standard pronunciations and local peculiarities of accent. A notable instance is the place-name "Concord." To pronounce this like the English word "concord" (that is, "con-cord") is quite simply wrong: the correct pronunciation is homophonous with "conquered." Now in the speech of some locals, there may be no audible "r" in the second syllable; but that is a matter of accent, not of pronunciation (in the sense of the lexical distribution of phonemes). To take another instance, it is wrong to pronounce "Leominster" as if it began with "Leo"; the standard pronunciation is "lemminster"; but locals have the privilege of reducing that to "lemsta."
Lem-sta in England, lem-in-sta iif in Massachusetts lol

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Having grown up in Missouri, lived in Kansas as an adult, with relatives in Arkansas, allow me to gently correct all these misunderstandings.

Missouri: depends what part of the state you're in. Up north is mu-ZOO-ree. Down south is m'-ZUR-uh.

Arkansas: it's always AR-kun-saw and never, ever ar-KAN-zus, regardless of how the twits in Kansas insist on mispronouncing the river of the same name.

Kansas: all previous descriptions are apt. Definitely fly-over country.