How do Mormons view Gays

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have known friends who are from Mormon households... a very sad, lonely existence, as the family will treat them as though they don't exist.Although the life they lead can be quite refreshing and I find the Book of Mormon to be quite interesting, I will never abide a people who so ernestly condemn another individual.

Donny was asked:

QuestionWhat is your opinion on Homosexuality, phrase of being "born that way" and marriage between two people of the same sex? I have a friend who says that they were born that way and that there is nothing that they or anyone else can do about it. I have seen them go from being somewhat strong in the church and now totally away from it. How does one go about helping them and how does the Lord view this subject, especially now that it is everywhere.

ResponseYou asked my opinion on homosexuality, "being born that way," and marriage between two people of the same sex. It is always difficult to know how to address questions like this because I would not want to offend anyone. I recognize that we all have the right to think and believe as we please, and as I have said I have many dear friends who lead either homosexual, or lesbian lifestyles, and I do not look down on them at all. But, in answer to your question, my opinion of the situation is that I have not seen such choices lead to true eternal happiness, in spite of the sincerity of the participants. I also have had homosexual friends tell me that they were "born that way" and could do nothing about it, and I have had others tell me that their homosexuality is a "learned" condition.

Consequently, I have no idea which of the two situations are accurate, but I do know this: that our prophets and the members of the Quorum of the Twelve provided all of us with a "roadmap and compass" on this and all subjects that deal with moral issues, and they gave the "Proclamation to the World: The Family." Which you can read here:

The Family ~ A Proclamation to the World

If you will reread that proclamation, you will be able to clearly identify what the direction of the Lord is on all moral issues.

You asked how we should go about "helping" them. That?s an even tougher question, because as you and I both know, advice is easy to give and seldom appreciated. Just because we our happy in are ordinary "husband-wife" lifestyles does not mean that we can make people understand how we feel when they feel another way. I have found that the best help that we can give is to continue to be their friend. Continue to be kind and non-judgmental. If we were ever asked our opinions on these matters, certainly we can give our opinion. Past that, I believe that the kind, compassionate, charitable, Christ-centered approach surely could not hurt.

Sincerely,

Donny Osmond

Donny Osmond Official Website - DONNY.COM - What is your opinion on Homosexuality, homosexuals?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Don't many of them have more than one wife and usually they are much younger?
The current church has strict rules against polygamy and enforces them. In the Western states, however, there are supposedly about 100,000 people who belong to off-shoot religions like the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) who have refused to follow the church's teaching and Federal law and still practice the "principle" of multiple wives. These are not Mormons. The antagonism toward them is accurately portrayed in the HBO seried Big Love, in fact.

The Mormon Church (like all major religions in my opinion) has much to answer for, but they have been adamantly against polygamy for well over a century now. Though it is in their history (my great-great grandfather had multiple wives, btw) they have completely purged it from the contemporary church and excommunicate anyone who practices it now.

And I just want to post a quick response to LoiusVauban's statements, which are a bit overbroad. I am no fan of the church, and it clearly has an anti-gay slant, but neither excommunication and rejection from the family is automatic or a policy of the church. Of course both happen sometimes, but I have also known happier outcomes. (I have actually known far more fundamentalist Baptists who were subjected to deprogramming than Mormons.)

Any religion that teaches the inferiority of non-breeders has a bad line going, but the actions that follow from that reasoning are as varied in Mormonism as they are in Catholicism, for example.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Their most famous leader, Brigham Young, had 51 wives, and by 16 of them, 56 children. The present official public position is agains plural marraige, there is nevertheless still quite a bit of it in some of the rural communities of the area, with the women held in conditions of serfdom.

They conducted a residential program at BYU, using abusive aversion therapy techniques, such as spraying ammonia in the nose, electric shock, and forced vomiting. Kids were forced by their parents and the hierarchy to participate. There were two known suicides, that is probably the tip of the iceberg for how many gay kids they have driven to suicide.

Here in Alaska they sent a single check for a half million to support a campaign for a Jim Crow constitutional amendment.

They have a lot to apologise for.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Their most famous leader, Brigham Young, had 51 wives, and by 16 of them, 56 children. The present official public position is agains plural marraige, there is nevertheless still quite a bit of it in some of the rural communities of the area, with the women held in conditions of serfdom.

They have a lot to apologise for.
As I noted above, those still practicing plural marriage (always polygamy, by the way - women never have multiple husbands) are not members of the Mormon church, which officially excommunicates anyone in a plural marriage, but members of fandamentalist off-shoots that do not recognize the current church heirarchy and prophet. Mormons have many things to answer for, but that one thing simply is not one of them.

There are several aversion therapy sites not associated with the church directly, but used by Mormons widely. As I mentioned, however, I know of many gay Mormons whose families shield them from that kind of ridiculousness, and I know of many more fundamentalists sent to such sites. My only point being that religious extremism and homophobia are not the exclusive qualities of this one religion and this one religion is no worse than many others, though certainly not progressive either.

About their having a lot to apologize for, I can only agree. The political example you give is an excellent one, and but the tip of the iceberg. I have plenty of haircurling stories about my own upbringing in such a community. Time, and living in other parts of the country where many other more mainstream religions seem equally cultlike to me, has taught me that almost any small closed community can turn dangerous even against the official teachings of its leaders. If the leaders are reactionary themselves, then it can get positively bizarre. I think Oralhijinks made very clear distinctions in his first post in this thread about the particular way that small Mormon communities in the West have crossed this line, but Mormons elsewhere in the country seem a good deal saner. (They were tons saner than my neighbors in a small Baptist community in Georgia, where I thought the few Mormon families were the only people with any sense at all, not to mention the only ones not married to their own siblings and cousins...)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
SLC is located in a very beautiful area but the city itself is more or less soulless. I can't imagine living in such a large city with a downtown that is so bland.
You are correct, I worded my statement rather poorly.
Don't many of them have more than one wife and usually they are much younger?
There are some breakaway sects which do, but not sanctioned by The Church. That's about like asking "Don't most of the Baptist churches do that snake-handling and poison-drinking thing?" They exist, but are tiny minorities and not at all endorsed by the larger church bodies.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As I noted above, those still practicing plural marriage (always polygamy, by the way - women never have multiple husbands) are not members of the Mormon church, which officially excommunicates anyone in a plural marriage, but members of fandamentalist off-shoots that do not recognize the current church heirarchy and prophet. Mormons have many things to answer for, but that one thing simply is not one of them.

There are several aversion therapy sites not associated with the church directly, but used by Mormons widely. As I mentioned, however, I know of many gay Mormons whose families shield them from that kind of ridiculousness, and I know of many more fundamentalists sent to such sites. My only point being that religious extremism and homophobia are not the exclusive qualities of this one religion and this one religion is no worse than many others, though certainly not progressive either.

About their having a lot to apologize for, I can only agree. The political example you give is an excellent one, and but the tip of the iceberg. I have plenty of haircurling stories about my own upbringing in such a community. Time, and living in other parts of the country where many other more mainstream religions seem equally cultlike to me, has taught me that almost any small closed community can turn dangerous even against the official teachings of its leaders. If the leaders are reactionary themselves, then it can get positively bizarre. I think Oralhijinks made very clear distinctions in his first post in this thread about the particular way that small Mormon communities in the West have crossed this line, but Mormons elsewhere in the country seem a good deal saner. (They were tons saner than my neighbors in a small Baptist community in Georgia, where I thought the few Mormon families were the only people with any sense at all, not to mention the only ones not married to their own siblings and cousins...)

Agreed.
The extreme aversion therapy program was in the 70's and 80's, didn't mean to say that is currently being conducted by LDS or any 'mainstream' church in this country, that I am aware of.
I also mainly grew up in the some what rural south, the Baptists (and independants) were much more of an annoyance, my only acquantance with the Mormons was from my record of their tabernacle choir doing Handel's halleluja chorus.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are some breakaway sects which do, but not sanctioned by The Church. That's about like asking "Don't most of the Baptist churches do that snake-handling and poison-drinking thing?" They exist, but are tiny minorities and not at all endorsed by the larger church bodies.

On the opposite side, I think there probably are many cafeteria Mormons who just pick and choose from their church doctrine. Just like many Catholics who practice birth control against the Pope's edict. Many who live in urban areas just belong for social reasons. The Mormons I know are very nice people who have no problems with my sexual orientation on a personal level - one happens to be gay in fact. But I think they are religious with a small "r".

budbugger

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
an 'ex' who was once a practicing mormon had told me of his being excumunicated because he would not stop bringing up the fact that homosexuality was the topic of the 'BOOK OF SALAMANDER' which was (alleged to have been) removed from the Book of Mormon around the time of the turn of the 19th & 20th centuries.

this 'ex' seemed quite familiar with the text, and told me that it addressed men who never marry as well as men who took other men as their chosen partners (all contractually welcomed into heaven).

i tried to use google to find anything of this supressed book only to find nothing. was my 'ex' an elaborate liar? has anyone ever heard of such a book?

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well if it was me I would meet him and hit on him put my hand on his thigh move it up to his crotch and kiss him. bett he was already "converted" and you will be able to have a good time. I bet he reacts sexualy to it.

Go on try it i dare you.

The guy is quite handsome. The thing is I had a great time playing basketball there,and I would go there again. I just don't want to cause any bad blood with him, and I want to continue to play basketball there. You think they would turn me away, if they knew I was gay?

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So here is an update. I went to meet them on tuesday so we could discuss the book of mormon, but instead one guy. There were two. I shamlessley stared at their crothces and mouths. I did not think they would notice. The next day when I went to play basketball, one of them asked me if I was FULL Gay ( I never heard of FULL GAy ) but I said yes,and they didnt preach to me like they usually do.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Huge issue with me. The mormons, like many other religous group, have a single agenda to populate the earth in their beliefs. They even think they have it figured out. "X" amount of members must keep having "X" amount of children. To me, having children for this reason, is disgusting. I have even seen them continue to have children with major birth defects for this end.

They are another group, like so many "Christians" that are very political and I would like to see them hit hard with taxes for such tactics.

Side point... My mom was a nurse to one of the largest alcohol distributors in the west. He said he specifically did well in Utah. My mom couldn't believe it at first. He said the general population of mormons does not drink but the top level drinks very expensive booze and lots of it. They even had a system of transfering booze from truck to truck so the general members would never know.

The flip side of this is one of my best friends is mormon. We do talk about relgion and have many shared beliefs about basic humanity. I do not believe he is typical of all mormons but would love them to grow towards his direction. My buddy is straight and highly sexual. He and I really can talk about anything and I love him so much. I wish he wasn't mormon because I do not feel they value him enough and I want him to be more than they would have him be. I worry that he will someday be forced to leave me.

It is hard for people to understand they are a complete culture. If you have been raised in that world and are then shunned...you would be shunned in every level of a person's existance. I think some are trapped for sure. I guess I have grown to a place were I feel religion in this world is un-godly and cruel. If people no longer had it they might have to own up to their actions...instead of all this "God made me do it" crap.