How do you browse files on Mac OS 9.1

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by faceking, Jul 10, 2008.

1. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Got an old iMac that I want to download and install OS X. I have the OS X .dmg file on an external USB drive... but man... I can't even explore the existing hard drive. Finder just seems to default to a "program menu".

I thought Macs were easy.

:puppy_dog_eyes:

2. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    9.1 may require a driver to mount the external USB drive.

3. novice_btm

Albums:
  4. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Thanks Novice.

I'm actually going to donate this... but who I got it from... just deleted everything... which was lame... because they left personal files... and gouged out all the important applications.

Not sure I can even get internet. I have a PowerBook with OS X ten... so I can try and transfer and so forth. But fuck.... Macs were supposed to be self-sufficient.

5. transformer_99

Gold Member

Unless you can find it on ebay inexpensively, OS 9.1 elsewhere is more expensive than OS X. You figure they would archive it after a while and offer it as freely downloadable at this stage ? Apple's contribution to the history of computing/software.

I love Linux archives for that very reason !

"http://redhat.lsu.edu/"

Not certain, but I believe that there are PPC versions of Linux still available as an archive. Maybe FreeBSD ? Which iMac did you find/get ?

If you have one of these, Fedora Core 9 (RedHat) will still run on it.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-ArchSpecific.html#sn-ArchSpecific-ppc-hw
    http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

#5 transformer_99, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. novice_btm

Albums:
    If you need help on it, PM me, but I AM curious by what you mean by "self-sufficient". Were you expecting it to do tricks or something? Lemme know the model, and what you're trying to do, and I can help ya out.

7. novice_btm

Albums:
    They don't anymore??? They used to do it, but I haven't looked at those forever. They only posted obsolete versions for free. So, it had to be around 2 full numbers less than the current one.

8. transformer_99

Gold Member

Mac OS: Versions, builds included with PowerPC Macs (since 1998)

Looks to be a vintage/circa 2001 iMac, G3 PPC @ 500 Mhz or so. Linux right up to today would go right on that sucker and run ! That may even be a better option than actually using OS 9 ? The applications for Fedora are archived too on the installation cd's/dvd as I recall Red Hat doing with any given distro version ? Latest versions of Open Office and Firefox just to mention a few 2008 applications/programs that run on 7 year old Mac hardware.

#8 transformer_99, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  9. novice_btm

Albums:
    BAD penquin! BAD! Down boy! :tongue:

Before we get into OS wars, faceking, what exactly are you trying to do with this thing? You just trying to get data off of it before donating it, or are you actually trying to use it? Do you want it to be a server? Etc?

10. transformer_99

Gold Member

No OS war here, but there's no guarantee that however this particular iMac's behavior is, it may take some creativity to get it back to operable again without a retail version of OS 9 or an ebay buy of the original restore cdrom for that particular model of iMac ? Dropping a cdrom or dvd in with a PPC Linux distro, maybe even a live cd version, allows to mount the drive for troubleshooting (using Linux to fix Windows/OS *), even install it and be up and running with a more modern operating system that still doesn't crush the legacy hardware. I've got an old Dell notebook with a blazing 733 Mhz P3, 256 MB PC133, whopping 4 MB of video and 15 GB hdd, that runs Ubuntu Studio 8.04 and doesn't load any more than 160 MB of the 256. I can still web surf and do light office documents and spreadsheets with it. The web surfing really isn't that bad an experience that it isn't any appreciably worse than the minimum requirement OS X or Windows XP system. But it used to be Windows 2000 notebook. With no way to boot from anything but a proprietary floppy/cdrom from Dell and a PXE network boot via an internet connection, the only OS I can get on this Dell is Linux. Anyway, just want to see perfectly good computer hardware living out it's retirement years happily.

Main Page - SystemRescueCd
    Download - SystemRescueCd

"BAD penquin! BAD! Down boy! :tongue:"

Awwwww, come on now, let the penguin have it's abandoned/orphaned computer hardware.

#10 transformer_99, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
Draft saved Draft deleted