How do you build muscle over 50?

Bronco118

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
View attachment 1447830 I am 56 years old and have been stuck on the muscle building plateau for years... I haven't been able to bulk up for years now. Is it just too late for me? I workout 3 to 4 times a week but need more recovery time than hunky 20/30 year olds. Diet is always tough for me but I try protein powders/meal replacements and I stay at the same weight. I have looked at some online programs for over 50 men and they have left me wanting. Is it just time to accept fate and enjoy old age? I don't really want to do that yet. Any help would be very much appreciated.

nakedinjun

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm also 56 but I certainly don't consider myself as "old." To build muscle ya gotta get your diet straight. When I'm doing a bulk, it's lotsa protein, carbs and a caloric surplus.
Change up your workouts. If you do the same thing over and over, your body'll adjust to it and you'll plateau.
One thing I have personally found to get over a plateau is to take an occasional week off then hit it hard. I'll still do cardio but I'll leave the weights alone.
When I get back to it, I'll get a fantastic pump and sore muscles the next day.
You might be working out too often and not giving your muscle enough time to recover. I do full body workouts just twice a week.

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
@Bronco118 , how old are you in your one pic that you have posted? Because you look incredibly young and virile in it, not like the aged and decrepit old man that you describe yourself as. Lol.
What you're describing, however, seems to be symptoms of low testosterone. Check with your doctor; he can test you for it. O haven't gone the testosterone replacement therapy route yet, but I hear it does wonders for advancement in the gym.

Reactions: Bronco118

perthite

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
View attachment 1447830 I am 56 years old and have been stuck on the muscle building plateau for years... I haven't been able to bulk up for years now. Is it just too late for me? I workout 3 to 4 times a week but need more recovery time than hunky 20/30 year olds. Diet is always tough for me but I try protein powders/meal replacements and I stay at the same weight. I have looked at some online programs for over 50 men and they have left me wanting. Is it just time to accept fate and enjoy old age? I don't really want to do that yet. Any help would be very much appreciated.
You have a hot body mate

Bronco118

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
@Bronco118 , how old are you in your one pic that you have posted? Because you look incredibly young and virile in it, not like the aged and decrepit old man that you describe yourself as. Lol.
What you're describing, however, seems to be symptoms of low testosterone. Check with your doctor; he can test you for it. O haven't gone the testosterone replacement therapy route yet, but I hear it does wonders for advancement in the gym.
That pic was taken about 3 months ago...

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Your post brings up something I was wondering, and perhaps I should start another thread about this.......

I want to have my hormones checked and not only testosterone, but estrogen and others.......do you or anyone else on here know a great hormone panel to have done to get an overall benchmark for "men of a certain age"?

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My goal is to stay toned, the days or a bodybuilder with massive muscles does not look right at my age. I do lots of an work, core work, chest and arms. Not much weight work on legs, but do hike almost every day for 4 to 6 miles. For me it gives me a strong core, and I feel better. I also like seeing my abs lol.

ryans138

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Your post brings up something I was wondering, and perhaps I should start another thread about this.......

I want to have my hormones checked and not only testosterone, but estrogen and others.......do you or anyone else on here know a great hormone panel to have done to get an overall benchmark for "men of a certain age"?

There are online labs that have blood test "packages" where you can choose what fits your needs best. I've definitely seen male hormone test packages. I can't remember any of the sites offhand, unfortunately, because I live in a state where you aren't permitted to have a blood test without a doctor's prescription. That's right. This state denies me the freedom to get my own blood tested at will! Most states don't but that's worth figuring out first to avoid disappointment.

Reactions: DSF140

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Man, you look incredible for any age. I know what it's like to want to go further, though. I didn't move passed my plateaus until I started working with an experienced trainer who's experienced in dealing with older guys like us. I started doing different exercises and combinations that I never put together before and my muscles were forced to wake up. I'm guessing that when you get close to your goals, your goal line has moved farther away because the more we develop, the more we want to be even better. That's how I am, and I needed help from someone who knows more than I do. I hope you find the right combination to progress.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Man, you look incredible for any age. I know what it's like to want to go further, though. I didn't move passed my plateaus until I started working with an experienced trainer who's experienced in dealing with older guys like us. I started doing different exercises and combinations that I never put together before and my muscles were forced to wake up. I'm guessing that when you get close to your goals, your goal line has moved farther away because the more we develop, the more we want to be even better. That's how I am, and I needed help from someone who knows more than I do. I hope you find the right combination to progress.
And I forgot to mention that he also provided me with a diet, and that has also made a difference.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Is it possible at all? I started when I was 42, put on 45 pounds and still a little guy, I'm 170 now soak and wet.
Adding 45 pounds of muscle, regardless of where you started and where you are now, is an amazing accomplishment. That's something to be proud of. I hope you'll share what your workout and diet regimen has been to get those gains.

Reactions: FastNHard

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Adding 45 pounds of muscle, regardless of where you started and where you are now, is an amazing accomplishment. That's something to be proud of. I hope you'll share what your workout and diet regimen has been to get those gains.
Really wan't anything special. I had no clue about diet or routines the first 2 years. I put 90% of that on the first year. Nothing was put into macros or anything really. I started at 129 pounds, was up to 178 just a few months ago but my appetite to eat is horrible, hormones are all jacked up so ended up back down to 169 to 172 again.

Reactions: bkmuscledad

Big4Asia

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
you build it the same way that you do at 25, 35 and 45.. it just takes more discipline and more time is all.

be consistent, be kind (to yourself), stay the course, don't over-train, make it a lifestyle not a 'fitness fad' and you're good to go

Keep plugging, lean muscle mass is the key to independence as you get older

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Is it possible at all? I started when I was 42, put on 45 pounds and still a little guy, I'm 170 now soak and wet.
Dude, you look like you've been at it your entire adult like. You look great.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Really wan't anything special. I had no clue about diet or routines the first 2 years. I put 90% of that on the first year. Nothing was put into macros or anything really. I started at 129 pounds, was up to 178 just a few months ago but my appetite to eat is horrible, hormones are all jacked up so ended up back down to 169 to 172 again.
That's still an amazing gain of muscle weight. Good for you, Bro. For some guys on here, adding muscle weight is very hard, so it's encouraging to see that it can be done.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like stated in a previous post, it IS possible.... It just takes more discipline.
I am literally days away from turning 50.
On the plus side, I have a blast furnace of a metabolism. I have a good amount of leeway, when it comes to enjoying garbage food at times.
On the down side, it takes a ton of effort to add weight, because of my metabolism.
I have to eat every 2-3 hours.
I bring 5 or 6 meals with me to work.

For most people, metabolism and hormone production slow a bit as they age.
But, much of that can be countered by sticking to a healthy diet & regular exercise.

When it comes to building muscle, it comes down to 3 necessary elements:
Stimulation (exercise)... Are you working the muscles hard enough?
Fuel (food)... Are you eating enough to build?
Recovery (sleep)... Are you getting enough?
If you take an honest, hard look at what you're doing, you most likely will find the problem.
And, of course, be consistent.
Good luck!
I hope you reach your goals ☺