Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I don't get energy from eating so??
You do get energy from eating. One calorie (technically a kilocalorie) is the energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius at sea level.

Reactions: socalfreak

steel33

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I hate to say it but there comes a point where you will get diminishing returns. I'm almost 58 and at about 54 I could tell I was changing. I take more time to recover and find it hard to eat enough.
My advice as others have said is check for low T and write down everything you eat and drink, the time and the nutrition values. Look up on line what you need as an active person of your age. Or better yet bring it to a trainer.
I work out at least 4 times a week and ref or play hockey at least 7 times a week. I also like beer and wine.
Me a few months ago:

Attachments

ChicagoPole

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Your post brings up something I was wondering, and perhaps I should start another thread about this.......

I want to have my hormones checked and not only testosterone, but estrogen and others.......do you or anyone else on here know a great hormone panel to have done to get an overall benchmark for "men of a certain age"?

A good doctor will prescribe a comprehensive panel. My doc asks for these numbers every six months:
Iron, Serum
Cortisol
Prolactin
Estradiol
Apolipoprotein A-1
Testosterone,Free and Total
Apolipoprotein B
DHEA-Sulfate, Serum
Free T-3
Homocysteine
DHT, Free, LCMS/Dialysis

I've been on TRT for just over a year and the results at the gym are noteworthy!

Dutchstud

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think an age over 50 is too late to build muscles. The purpose of work-outs then is to stay toned and keep a good condition.

When you have a flabby tummy, it will most likely not become chiselled abs because the body and skin looses elasticity over 50.

Of course, there will be exceptions which confirm the rule, but look at Stallone or Schwarzenegger, I don't think they managed their bodies, despite all the premium equipment, personal trainers and dietists.

Having said that, I like a > 50 who maintains his body: "mens sana in corpore sano". Muscles or not: a fit Fifty-somethinger will always look better than the Homer Simpsons amongst us.

;-)

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I hate to say it but there comes a point where you will get diminishing returns. I'm almost 58 and at about 54 I could tell I was changing. I take more time to recover and find it hard to eat enough.
My advice as others have said is check for low T and write down everything you eat and drink, the time and the nutrition values. Look up on line what you need as an active person of your age. Or better yet bring it to a trainer.
I work out at least 4 times a week and ref or play hockey at least 7 times a week. I also like beer and wine.
Me a few months ago:
Still, you look pretty damn good, @steel33

Reactions: aldawg

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You do get energy from eating. One calorie (technically a kilocalorie) is the energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius at sea level.
If I do get energy from eating then why do I feel like shit after eating? Food does not warm me up either and I already understand about the kcal stuff. What I'm saying is I'm not the (per normal) when it comes to eating, getting warm/producing body heat.

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A good doctor will prescribe a comprehensive panel. My doc asks for these numbers every six months:
Iron, Serum
Cortisol
Prolactin
Estradiol
Apolipoprotein A-1
Testosterone,Free and Total
Apolipoprotein B
DHEA-Sulfate, Serum
Free T-3
Homocysteine
DHT, Free, LCMS/Dialysis

I've been on TRT for just over a year and the results at the gym are noteworthy!

A Western doctor tests for this? Mine sure doesn't, my two doctors I should say.

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Really?.... Stop eating and see what happens.
All of your bodily functions and movements are fueled by what you eat.
You have energy... *You* just don't feel like you have enough.
I'm sorry you feel so awful.
But, after reading your posts about your percieved health issues, I'm beginning to suspect you're not being completely honest with yourself about what you eat & how hard you work out... Or, that you are a bit of a hypochondriac.
Luckily, both are treatable.
Good luck to you.
I hope you reach your goals.
I feel better not eating and I am totally honest, why would I lie, there's no benefit to do so. I have heavy metal poisoning so can you now explain what I'm (making up)??

Flexxx

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It does get a LOT harder to build muscle mass over 50 but not impossible. The growth won't be as much as before but continue to break down your muscles for growth, rest them for growth, and feed them for growth will produce growth. Be lacking in one of the above will result in non growth.

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
View attachment 1447830 I am 56 years old and have been stuck on the muscle building plateau for years... I haven't been able to bulk up for years now. Is it just too late for me? I workout 3 to 4 times a week but need more recovery time than hunky 20/30 year olds. Diet is always tough for me but I try protein powders/meal replacements and I stay at the same weight. I have looked at some online programs for over 50 men and they have left me wanting. Is it just time to accept fate and enjoy old age? I don't really want to do that yet. Any help would be very much appreciated.

We should all have your problem. Nice body. Change it up in the gym. I've been doing it for two yrs and haven't gained the body you have. I'm envious.

Reactions: Bronco118

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I feel better not eating and I am totally honest, why would I lie, there's no benefit to do so. I have heavy metal poisoning so can you now explain what I'm (making up)??
Again..... If you don't eat, you will die... Because your body no longer has the energy to do anything (including keeping warm).
I don't want to derail this thread with any more of your nonsense.. So, I'll this interaction with you by saying this:
I've read your posts... Here and in several other threads. And here's what most of us take from them ...
You give a laundry list of "ailments" and self-diagnosed conditions.. Thyroid... Gastrointestinal... Hormonal.... And now, heavy metal poisoning..
And no medical person has been able to help you to your satisfaction... Despite you already being in reasonable shape.
Claims of eating well over 5000 calories a day for months, with no change in your mood/energy/body. Right.
I have nothing against you & want you to do well.
But, I'm sorry... The facts and your own statements just don't add up.
You're not being completely honest & are a bit of a hypochondriac.
I hope you get things settled for yourself...I really do.

Reactions: Gj816 and DSF140

Rpartida21

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Low testosterone is a huge part of it I started working out with a friend he was 300 lb about a year ago and his testosterone levels were so loud that he was experiencing depression I did not know that this could happen because of having low testosterone he went to a doctor had some labs done and that's how he knew it was because of testosterone the doctor prescribed a good testosterone booster he basically does injections once per week and after that we started working now he lost 120 lb he now weighs 180 lb and his body looks really good he is 63 by the way so having a good doctor really house and also having the right people that know their way around the gym

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Again..... If you don't eat, you will die... Because your body no longer has the energy to do anything (including keeping warm).
I don't want to derail this thread with any more of your nonsense.. So, I'll this interaction with you by saying this:
I've read your posts... Here and in several other threads. And here's what most of us take from them ...
You give a laundry list of "ailments" and self-diagnosed conditions.. Thyroid... Gastrointestinal... Hormonal.... And now, heavy metal poisoning..
And no medical person has been able to help you to your satisfaction... Despite you already being in reasonable shape.
Claims of eating well over 5000 calories a day for months, with no change in your mood/energy/body. Right.
I have nothing against you & want you to do well.
But, I'm sorry... The facts and your own statements just don't add up.
You're not being completely honest & are a bit of a hypochondriac.
I hope you get things settled for yourself...I really do.
And that is your opinion and are entitled to that. As far as doctors not finding a problem none have ever tested for these things. They don't understand the links with heavy metal poisoning and so called (diseases) I have only just found out about the metal a few weeks ago. I'm 95% sure this is the missing link I've been looking for and my issues. Very sorry you do not understand or comprehend what heavy metals to to the body. Most cause neurological, cell damage, mood swings, depression, cancers, so called (diseases) and many many other issues. That is fact!

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
One thing I noticed is that at our age, you lose muscle faster. When I was 20, if I took a week off from working out, there was almost no perceptible change, but at our age, even after a few days, the muscles start to regress faster. So for our age, consistency and really working the muscles constantly is important. Make it a point to workout in some way every day.
If you have a time management issue for days due to travel or other commitments, figure out some way to stress your muscles, so that you at least maintain your development until you can put in a full workout.

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I build muscle today at 65 the same way I did when I started at 42. One rep at a time. Next thing you know you've got a set done. Then that body part is done. Then the next time in the gym it's a different body part. Lather, rinse, repeat, lol.

And consistency. With training/working out. Eating. Sleeping. Hydrating. NOT overtraining!

And most importantly, dealing with the reality of the aging process. Accepting it. No, it's not as easy to build/maintain muscle mass as it was 23 years ago when I started. But, by showing up, lifting as heavy as possible with correct form, yup, it's possible. I do it. So do so many other people I know. Because they are consistent.

Good Luck!

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And that is your opinion and are entitled to that. As far as doctors not finding a problem none have ever tested for these things. They don't understand the links with heavy metal poisoning and so called (diseases) I have only just found out about the metal a few weeks ago. I'm 95% sure this is the missing link I've been looking for and my issues. Very sorry you do not understand or comprehend what heavy metals to to the body. Most cause neurological, cell damage, mood swings, depression, cancers, so called (diseases) and many many other issues. That is fact!
Actually,..... I've had to take advanced coursework on chemical handling/exposure protocol and consequences... As well as obtain federally-recognized certifications for investigation of poisonings, with a whole block dedicated to heavy metals, asbestos, industrial substances & byproducts.
So, I am much much more educated on the subject than you.... Which is a substantial part of why I know you are not being truthful & continue to be a hypochondriac.

Again...I don't want to mess up this thread with anymore of your nonsense.
But, I am happy to discuss this with you more at an other spot.
Good luck to you.
I hope you reach your goals

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Actually,..... I've had to take advanced coursework on chemical handling/exposure protocol and consequences... As well as obtain federally-recognized certifications for investigation of poisonings, with a whole block dedicated to heavy metals, asbestos, industrial substances & byproducts.
So, I am much much more educated on the subject than you.... Which is a substantial part of why I know you are not being truthful & continue to be a hypochondriac.

Again...I don't want to mess up this thread with anymore of your nonsense.
But, I am happy to discuss this with you more at an other spot.
Good luck to you.
I hope you reach your goals
You said last post you were not going to continue to mess up the thread with my nonsense but yet you're back. So lets just say I am a hypochondriac just for the sake of it. How can I fake test results? Like I can just (will) the test one way or the other. Explain that.... My cortisol as of this time last year was almost flat lined. Cadmium is one of the metals which cause adrenal fatigue/adrenal insufficiency. Did I (will) that result? And good for you that you are so much smarter than me otherwise you would have already known that is a side effect. Would you like me to post my results to?