How do you clean a window in a tower block?

gordonuk

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Does anyone have any links to websites that show how to clean the outside your windows in a tower block of flats. There must be a guide how to do it safely especially at height. I am talking about doing it yourself and not by absail or anything (am on 12th floor).
Not all windows open fully so what is proper way to do it (only open a foot for safety reasons).
I know its a strange question but am curious!

Am, not interested in the magnet or let the rain wash them, please am genuinely looking for an instruction sheet/manual. I am looking to prove my landlord wrong on something so would be good to have documentation to prove things.

deano-uk

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Have you seen these window cleaner things on QVC or one of the shopping channels - where the inside and outside units are connected by magnets and a long string between. supposed to be very good. No good on a completely non opening window though.

gordonuk

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Have you seen these window cleaner things on QVC or one of the shopping channels - where the inside and outside units are connected by magnets and a long string between. supposed to be very good. No good on a completely non opening window though.

Without being rude, did you not read my post. i said i was not interested in magnetic things.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Very simple answer - if the free-holder / landlord does not sort out window cleaning for the entire block then you pay someone with the right equipment to do it. I don't believe there is another 'right' / foolproof method.

Edit: Obviously if you are the tennant and there is some issue then replacing the windows is out of the question.

Also, some residents' committees arange for this kind of maintenance, is there an association of that kind for your building - do you or your landlord pay fees for maintenance to any body?

gordonuk

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think people are getting confused here. I was not asking how I could wash the windows. I tried but gave up.
I asked landlord and they said its easy and to stick head out windows and its done.
The reason i am looking for some dort of instruction sheet/manual as then can goto them and say they are stupid to say stuck head out and possibly fall.
Words mean nothing to my landlord but at least something in print is worth more.

Out of all the thousands of residential tower blocks in the world that have windows that open there must be an instruction manual/sheet for at least one.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Now I understand what you mean. I think it is difficult cleaning the outside of your windows based the amount of window space given.

The only thing that I can think of is:

1. Asking a professional window cleaner.

2. Somehow steam clean the outside of your windows...BUT DON'T DO IT IF YOUR LOCAL CLIMATE IS COLD OR FREEZING. (There are consumer brand steam cleaners out there with wand and hose attachments.)

3. Try and clean the parts of the outside window you can get to.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Use this homemade window cleaner:

1 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vinegar

Using isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar together makes a quickly evaporating spray glass and mirror cleaner that competes with national brands. This can also be used to give a nice shine to hard tiles, chrome, and other surfaces.

Use newspaper to wipe away for streak free shine.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
In a building like that, it should be the responsibility of the apartment or building management to clean the windows. For highrise buildings here in NYC, it is against the law to try to clean the outside windows yourself.
That usually is the reason why windows in a highrise do not open fully above certain floor levels of the building.

If there is a Tenants Association, this should be taken up with them for
action, since I am sure that you are not the only one that is interested in having clean windows. The Tenant Association would have more leverage in negotiating getting things done. If not, start a Tenant Association on
your own.

You might take the management to court. I did some years back and got my windows cleaned and "unstuck" since durig the occasional painting of the outside of the building, my windows had been painted shut, making it impossible for me to open them. Therefore, I couldn't have washed my own windows if I had wanted to. The courts sided with me and said that I had a right to "fresh air and clean windows." The windows are now washed once a year, which is better than not at all.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Most people I know use the magnets which you state you're not interested in OR they use a wand that looks something like a very long windshield squeegee that has a bendable part in the shape of U.