How do you decide when to respond to a post?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I had thought about starting a thread on something similar. When I first joined, a topic would stay on page one for several days even if no one posted on it. Now with so many members and so many threads, it is getting more difficult to follow up. There are members I used to meet everyday here that I rarely "run" into. Sometimes a post you make or I make has someone else ask the same question again before we'll say "John" gets back to that thread making it appear that "John" is answering only the second request and ignoring the first request. I've felt the same thing. I have also failed to get back to a thread and by the time I get there, the topic has moved on.

I do think though that how well I know someone will influence how a banter with someone. Some posters I will laugh and joke with because I have in the past done so. Jeff gets a lot of "cute ass" comments. I don't get those. I don't think it is because people don't like me. It is because I don't have a cute ass. Posting a pic would only confirm that my ass really really really isn't cute and hasn't been now for several decades.

But it doesn't matter who the poster is when were in a discussion. I will respond the same. I go by what has been said, not who the poster is in discussions. Or at least I try to.

But I am sure there are members that it does matter who the poster is if they comment or not. That is the way it is. Can't control that.

As for you DC, you and I don't agree on religion, but I respect your beliefs and you respect mine. So there is a great amount of respect for each other there. You make some wonderful comments. A lot of yours though are like some of mine. They are so definitive that there is really no answer except to say I agree or disagree. Often when I agree with a poster, I don't just post and say "Hey I agree with what he just said. Maybe we should do that more often.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is not really a random blacklist; but I did not really have direct contact with the person. Just an attitude that I did not like and did not care to be subjected to.
That does make perfect sense.

Off-topic, any chance you may be down in my area any time soon? I'm sorry we missed that opportunity last time, but I'm glad you got to meet the infamous Zora.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
***This message is hidden because Kotchanski is on your ignore list.***

I am sorry; was your post directed towards me?:tongue: :biggrin1:
*I have to borrow from vichairyass to say this properly*...:

Betich!

(Translated into a human language: Bitch!)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
As for you DC, you and I don't agree on religion, but I respect your beliefs and you respect mine. So there is a great amount of respect for each other there. You make some wonderful comments. A lot of yours though are like some of mine. They are so definitive that there is really no answer except to say I agree or disagree. Often when I agree with a poster, I don't just post and say "Hey I agree with what he just said. Maybe we should do that more often.
And see, Freddie, that's a major part of what is so puzzling to me. I'm so often (usually by a fundie-type) accused of being a christian-hater or christian basher... and I have so much respect for you (a devout christian) and I just nearly idolize JustAsking (another devout christian). But even though we disagree, we do so (as you mention) with respect... and as long as some modicum of respect is afforded me, I will do the same.

But I'll try to clear it up, again. It isn't occasional lapses, or redundancy, or any of those hit-and-miss explanations that have surfaced here. What I'm addressing is repeated, pointed, explicit snubbing by members with whom I haven't had any frictions that I know of. On the contrary, it's one whom I thought I had contributed something to, when they needed it (or when it seemed appropriate.) A "lean on me" type thread is posted, a member asking for support from LPSG members. I offer, on various different occasions, that shoulder to cry on, that support, and it is snubbed. I will reiterate - it isn't that my feelings are hurt, it's that I just don't understand. It's kind of like seeing a homeless person, on the street, begging for money... I try to hand him a $5 and he turns his back, refusing my offer.

I've gone on way too long on this issue. It really is not that important. It's time for someone to hijack this thread.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
What a concept!

How exactly would a "random blacklist" work?

Every time you log on the system could autogenerate you a blacklist from the list of active posters (obviously there are too many dormant accounts to use all accounts). Say randomly picking 10% of the active membership. But why - why would you want to do that? Just to fuck with your own head?

Of course you could do it yourself - you could go thru the =user lists on a Monday and ignore everyone with a username starting in 'M'. (Today I will mostly be listening to people whose name does not start in M) - or search all users and ignore all usernames containing 'big'. But then that is not random - is it?

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had thought about starting a thread on something similar. When I first joined, a topic would stay on page one for several days even if no one posted on it. Now with so many members and so many threads, it is getting more difficult to follow up. There are members I used to meet everyday here that I rarely "run" into. Sometimes a post you make or I make has someone else ask the same question again before we'll say "John" gets back to that thread making it appear that "John" is answering only the second request and ignoring the first request. I've felt the same thing. I have also failed to get back to a thread and by the time I get there, the topic has moved on.

HTML:
I do think though that how well I know someone will influence how a banter with someone. Some posters I will laugh and joke with because I have in the past done so. Jeff gets a lot of "cute ass" comments. I don't get those. I don't think it is because people don't like me. It is because I don't have a cute ass. Posting a pic would only confirm that my ass really really really isn't cute and hasn't been now for several decades.
But it doesn't matter who the poster is when were in a discussion. I will respond the same. I go by what has been said, not who the poster is in discussions. Or at least I try to.

But I am sure there are members that it does matter who the poster is if they comment or not. That is the way it is. Can't control that.

Aw...don't sell yourself short...I'm sure you have a cute ass!:smile:

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry for how I botched up that quotation, I'm not familiar on how to just select what I want to respond to!

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Every time you log on the system could autogenerate you a blacklist from the list of active posters (obviously there are too many dormant accounts to use all accounts).

I am a member at another forum that seems to do something similar. I'll open a thread and see 1-2 names that I'm not familiar with, but are on my ignore list. :confused:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I don't respond to posts. Rather, I browse the forums looking for posts that present an opening to voice what I'm currently thinking about.

Beyond that, I don't think there's any consistent reason why I post. Sometimes I have something that seems important to say, other times, I'm just bored. I used to frequently respond to people who posted offensive or clearly incorrect statements. Now, I use the ignore list, for the most part.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Every time you log on the system could autogenerate you a blacklist from the list of active posters (obviously there are too many dormant accounts to use all accounts). Say randomly picking 10% of the active membership. But why - why would you want to do that? Just to fuck with your own head?

Of course you could do it yourself - you could go thru the =user lists on a Monday and ignore everyone with a username starting in 'M'. (Today I will mostly be listening to people whose name does not start in M) - or search all users and ignore all usernames containing 'big'. But then that is not random - is it?

Sounds kinda fun... can we have a "Blacklist Weekend" or something? :tongue:

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Off-topic, any chance you may be down in my area any time soon? I'm sorry we missed that opportunity last time, but I'm glad you got to meet the infamous Zora.

The way that things are going right now I may be doing a cross country tour this fall. I have decided that after the recent stress that I have enjoyed that I may buy a pre '67 VW bus and see Nova Scotia and NFLD and may well drop down South. I would love to meet you in person one day and was disappointed that I was not able to stop last trip.

Meeting Mme.Z was easily the highlight of last trip even though I did not get to spend nearly enough time with her. If I go cross country I would absolutely make a point to stop and see her. Actually, she is worth an Intercontinental trip.:cool:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What a concept!

How exactly would a "random blacklist" work?
"I'll start a thread, and whoever is the third person to respond goes on ignore..."

"I will choose to ignore any member whose name contains an underscore..."

"If a username contains a numerical character, I will put them on ignore."

It could work just about any way you wanted it to.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gillette, this is for you... you know why!

A hooker in Kalamazoo
Filled up her vagina with glue.
She said, "It's no sin.
If they pay to get in,
They'll pay to get out again, too!"

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
DC, I will not re-establish some of the points that have been articulated here but I do understand your frustration. For me, I am not one who generally post a lot. IF the post is of a serious nature, will I have a tendency to dwell on some subject more, especially considering if I think those threads deserve real, heart-felt dialogue. And, generally with that, individuals who created the post will generally get a private PM from me. If I feel my thoughts and experiences may have an impact on other posters or forum readers in reference to that particular thread, then I will post it for all to read.

Another thing I am constantly debating internally is the concept of becoming one of these thread hijackers. I don't want my name to be associated as such (yeah, I care what people think - shoot me!).

I enjoy reading your post. I think you are a bright man who is passionate about his beliefs and ideologies and who is able to clearly and effectively articulate those thoughts to offer a different perspective. Clearly that is the meaning behind the thoughts - to share experiences and to learn from one another.... Reasonable and appropriate discourse adds depth and breadth to subject matter - particularly if it is controversial.

Now I feel I need to post more! :)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks, YAG. I do actually read and enjoy your posts, and have commented on a few of them.

What and when I post depends upon several different factors. Some threads (by their nature) invite repetitive posts by various members. In other threads, repeating what 5 others have already said is monotonous and superfluous. A few, because the question/premise of the OP is so ludicrous, seem to draw a lot of sarcastic feedback (such as the "will-I-permanently-stretch-out-her-pussy" threads).

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A hooker in Kalamazoo
Filled up her vagina with glue.
She said, "It's no sin.
If they pay to get in,
They'll pay to get out again, too!"

I love it. Time to revive the Limericks thread, methinks.

I know I've been guilty of not responding to posts. Usually it's just due to inattention or forgetfulness. I've stumbled across threads I've started weeks after the fact only to see responses I didn't know were there and have already been answered by someone else. I just recently learned of the "NEW" feature so I'm hoping that will help (Yeah, I know, get with the program, eh?).

The distractions are limitless: IMs, phone calls, links to other pages, the cat wants to be fed again, work. PMs are the worst as they pull me away from the page I was reading and by the time I'm finished with the lot of it I've forgotten where I was. By the end of a session on here I find I've got ten windows open and I have to retrace my steps to the point of origin (this post just took 4 hrs).

I will sometimes not respond because I don't realize that it's expected of me. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing all the typing that would be required to express myself fully, particularly when my time is limited.

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks, YAG. I do actually read and enjoy your posts, and have commented on a few of them.

What and when I post depends upon several different factors. Some threads (by their nature) invite repetitive posts by various members. In other threads, repeating what 5 others have already said is monotonous and superfluous. A few, because the question/premise of the OP is so ludicrous, seem to draw a lot of sarcastic feedback (such as the "will-I-permanently-stretch-out-her-pussy" threads).

And likewise, DC. :)

It does seem that a lot of the threads here are becoming increasingly redundant in nature... as well as the "will-I-permanently-stretch-out-her-pussy" post, which makes me think - someone is trolling or they would not be continously posting ridiculous threads as such... unless of course they are 12. C'mon gents!!!!