How do you define "sexism"?

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
First, a reminder, that while men are free to ask questions in this forum, only women are allowed to respond.

That's why I'm posing this question here. I want purely female perspectives, without the hurt male ego that invariably taints such discussions elsewhere.

So...

How do you, personally, define sexism? How does it effect you in your daily life? What can men learn from you in regards to sexism, and what (if anything) can we (men) do to help combat sexism in your lives?

Last edited:

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
To me, sexism is basically when people (not just men) pass judgment on me or my abilities based on my vagina. Comments like, "I didn't know women could do that." "Women shouldn't play football." (Which I did, btw.) I also think that over-reacting to something women do in a positive way is sexism. Putting women on a pedestal for achieving a position that men normally hold, sexism. They shouldn't be treated BETTER for something just because they managed to do something that men normally do. I also think it's sexist to assume a woman should have a certain role or do certain things in her life just because she's female. Get married, have kids, etcetera. Domestic abuse is another example of sexism... if a man hits a woman, he's goes to jail, people look down upon him, etcetera. But if a woman hits a man, he probably deserved it, there's usually no legal recourse taken, and most men won't even admit to it because of how much "shame" it's supposed to bring them, for whatever reason.

As far as what men can do to combat sexism... treat everyone equally. If you're the type of person that would punch a man that said some fucked up shit, but wouldn't dare touch a female regardless of what she said - make a decision. Do you stop punching men, or start hitting women?

Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree with Toxin, don't judge me based on the fact that I am a holder of vagina! If I wanted to play professional football (American style) then I should have that right to go to Spring Training and see if I can make the cut. If I wanted to play any other sport that has in the past been defined as "Male Only," then keeping women out that have the same as, or in some cases, better than a male counterpart, that is sexism.

Women can now own land and own their own business. Women can now be the head of major corporations. We haven't had a woman president in the US yet, but I hope that day comes where we do hear "Ladies And Gentlemen, I introduce to you the Madame President!" That would kick ass! Britain had Margret Thatcher, and she was a POWERFUL chick who rocked. I truly think that America is still very sexist to women. It's like, "Oh you can be rich, but no true power for you!"

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I really don't know if I can explain how sexism affects me. It's usually very subtle.

If you look at any successful women her accomplishments will never be as praised or publicized as much as a man. Women are not perceived as leaders, as intelligent, as capable as men. It's always subtle but if you look at the lack of women in power you can see a glaring imbalance.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sexism to me isn't about physical strength. I have no qualms about asking a man to carry boxes for me, or asking him to get something off a high shelf for me; feel free to change a flat on my car, lift a couch for me - I am fine with that. Can I do it myself? Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. I am not as physically strong as most males. It's not sexist - it's practical. I'll ask anyone physically stronger or taller than I to do these things, male or female.

Personally, I see sexism financially. I am well educated and well-known and respected in my field. I have been doing what I do for many years, but I cannot afford to live on my own. The nature of my work is in a female dominated field and as such the salaries are much lower than a man with a similar level of education and number of years of experience. In fact, a man with my education and years of experience would likely be making double what I make. I see it all the time. In fact, men that I mentored have gone on into upper management and make more than double what I do. In my field, 90% of management are male and 90% of supervisors and front line are women. Women just don't get promoted. Women will stay at the supervisory level for 15 to 20 years before moving up, if ever. Men will stay at the supervisory level for 2 to 5 years before moving up.

Single women who do not have a great deal of disposable income find themselves in a very different financial situation from their male counterparts. This is something I find to be sexist.