How do you feel about pregnancy?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've a female friend that has a phobia of pregnant people. Being near them causes her to cringe and makes her nauseous. She's also absolutely frightened of the idea of getting pregnant. Apparently, she saw a video as a child of a pregnant woman showing off her very ripe belly with the fetus/infant looking as if it was trying to claw its way out. Traumatized her. That said, she really wants to have children, and at least one of which is hers naturally (ie. not adopted).

This is known as tocophobia. My husband is the only male tocophobic I've ever been able to find, even after many, many nights of scouring the internet. It used to put quite a damper on our sex life, but we've worked through a lot of it together.

For women like your friend, there are many support groups, especially should she ever find herself pregnant. Pregnant tocophobics are prone to panic attacks, which can pose a threat to the pregnancy itself. Pregnant tocophobic women need lots of help and support. If there are additional mental or emotional issues, these may be magnified by the woman's response to her tocophobia. For women, though, help is out there for tocophobics, preggo or not.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've a female friend that has a phobia of pregnant people. Being near them causes her to cringe and makes her nauseous. She's also absolutely frightened of the idea of getting pregnant. Apparently, she saw a video as a child of a pregnant woman showing off her very ripe belly with the fetus/infant looking as if it was trying to claw its way out. Traumatized her. That said, she really wants to have children, and at least one of which is hers naturally (ie. not adopted).

Personally? I feel no jealousy/envy toward women about not being able to be impregnated. When I was in the hospital with a kidney stone writhing in pain, the nurse looked at me and said, "That's as close as you'll ever get to knowing what it feels like to have a baby". Good look with childbirth, ladies.:tongue:

I don't have a phobia of pregnant women but I did have a fear of getting pregnant (I say "did" rather than "do" because I had my tubes tied). I don't talk about this much (and don't like to), but I did have an unwanted pregnancy 20 years ago that I ended. I actually did have something like panic attacks then. Part of that was the kind of people I was around at the time - a lot of religious right.

I am absolutely RESENTFUL that men don't have to worry about this stuff. (this is just me personally, because I'm so averse to it and all...I envy guys for this terribly!) In fact, this was one of the things that made me want a sex change when I was younger. But getting my tubes tied was easier. :biggrin1:

And for me, I have also never wanted kids anyway. Not just for the pregnancy part, but I just don't like kids. They're noisy and get into everything, plus I like to be able to come and go as I please.