How do you handle friend requests from strangers?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Steve26, Jan 13, 2009.

?

How do you handle friend requests from strangers?

1. accept the request and add them as a friend

41 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. decline the request without comment

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. decline the request with an explanation (via private message, etc.)

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. ignore the request

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. other (specify below)

11 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not on Facebook or any other social-networking sites, so I have no idea what the normal etiquette is on friend requests from people who are total strangers.

How do you respond when this happens to you on LPSG?

Steve

2. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Personally I will usually accept and then send them a message or something. It's your call though hon, you can quite rightly deny them if you feel you want to -- as Captain Planet once said : the power, is yours!

3. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I say something on the line of this, "I am sorry but I don't add people to my friends list until I know them really well."

4. koval

Gold Member

Same here.

5. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I'm obviously just very easy and will have anyone....as a friend.

6. B_DEATHbyCARROT

B_DEATHbyCARROT New Member

On other sites like fb/myspace I only accept people I know and if I don't know you I just let the request sit. Obviously I can't do that here (since I don't want anyone to know who I am), so I make friends with everybody who sends me a request here :)

7. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I ask them why they wanna be friends if they never talked with me. if they don't say a thing when they come online next time, I decline. There are a few that I accept, but I insist a little talk.

8. JackM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    On here, so far I've accepted them. If there were any whose profiles I found dislikeable, I would probably refuse them.

9. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

if i recognise them ill add. if i dont i wait for some sort of message or to see thier posts so im know who im getting involved with so to speak...

10. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    u know if u add somebody as a friend on lpsg, u really are legally bound to be their friend. pick them up at the airport, say hi if u see them at the grocery store, share your popcorn at the movies, feed their pets while they're on vacation etc.

this is so funny

i'm sorry i can't add u till i know u really well..... wtf?

is this site really anybody's default social networking site??

i look at it like more of a bookmark, a way to flag somebody i might want to talk to or read their posts later. and i'm not going to deny anybody who requests to be my "friend" on lpsg, it's really no trouble at all to click yes. i don't have an excluder personality

but maybe i'm being insensitive, maybe all my lpsg friends can have an intervention and tell me to get my shit together and stop being an a-hole

#10 thadjock, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  11. erratic

Gold Member

Like others, I only accept friend requests from people I've chatted with - the exception being if they're befriending me because we have a lot in common. Of course, I almost never get friend requests, so it doesn't really matter much.

12. Draconis71

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmm, ya know...
    I'm gonna take that advice...
    Play an online game... got plenty just wanting "Add, add add"....
    now... gotta know me well first, and just not the stupid asl questions being asked.
    I usually add...
    ...and then delete when they're offline.

13. delti90

delti90 Guest

I registered here yesterday and already got one, I just accepted it. I mean it's the internet, who cares?

14. MickeyLee

Gold Member

i just check their profiles real quick. if they have taken the time to fill out the about me section, if they some activity on the message board. i accept.

the only people i refuse are the guys who are obviously friending every women on the site. or people who creep me out from what i've seen on the message board.

damn, i fall into the easy camp.

strangeness of me, i am too shy to make a friends request. just seems awkward or that i am pestering the people i actually like.

ML

friends list just make it easier to PM or check profiles? not really sure why the site has 'em.

15. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Some of us are major multi-taskers. We have neither the time nor desire for tons of pm windows popping up when we log on to the site. Plus, you have to spend all this time making idle chitchat. I already have to do tons of that at work. I get pm's on here from some really strange posters.

16. finlandboi

finlandboi Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I pretty much accept them all, because I don't want to get anyone upset.

17. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I send them a message to see if they have anything to say to me. If I don't hear back, I refuse the request. The awkward thing is that I often get a perfunctory reply that doesn't provide any basis for a conversation, and then I may feel obliged to add the person just because he replied to my message, even though it is clear that we have nothing to say to each other.

As I have said numerous times before, the whole "Friends" function is a fucking pain in the arse. The administrators should never have introduced it in the first place, or should at least have given members the option of refusing to receive requests.
    We've got the "Contacts" list for that purpose. You can add anyone as a contact without any notification of that person. There is no need to make a "Friend" request.

18. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    I always PM first to see if it is okay to add as a friend, usually on the lines of been enjoying your posts lately, good fun, stuff incommon etc, and don't feel obliged to add me sort of thing. I would like the same sort of message accompanying a request, basically out of courtesy for both.

If i get a request, i tend to check out first, maybe add, maybe don't, but although i ain't anybody special i am getting better at denying requests as i do like to keep in contact with the friends i have.

19. bguy

bguy Member

I check to see if they have made a comment on one of my photos. Sometimes people comment there and I don't know about it. Is there any way of getting a notification on new photo comments like with private messages and visitor messages?

But if someone hasn't sent me a private message, a photo comment, a visitor message or we've chatted via IM and then they send a friend request... I don't accept. What's the point?

20. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I accept most of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted