How do you know a person is gay, really?

pdxman

Sexy Member
Media
Ok, we all heard of gaydar, and there's this scientific research found that gaydar actually exists. Gays are very efficient in identifying other gays. Ok, now let's talk about us. How good do you think your gaydar is? I mean, I am gay, but I can never guess correctly whether that one guy is gay or not. What aspects of one person that you particularly pay attention to, to identify he's gay? Please help your confused brother here....

If he wants to suck your dick really bad and wants to fet fucked by you ..pretty good indicator

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
You don't know unless the person tells you.

All talk of gaydar is stupid. Those, who use such terms, are people with sad sex fantasy lives who are not really in touch with reality.
Just cause you don't have any, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Wear sweats free balling if that doesn't get the attention then he is straight.
Not necessarily

a) What if you don't have much swingin?
b) What if he's a gay top, and not really interested in your junk?
c) The number of 'straight' guys on this site very interested in dick would also disprove your theory.

AlphaSpartan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First of all, a guy's description of a girl beyond "hot" does not reflect sexuality. I am completely hetero and always try to find a unique word that fits each girl based on whatever information I have.

Second, based on a recent episode of House (the writers are pretty damn intellectual) I'd say a good way to tell if a guy is hetero or homo is to ask him about fashion. The only reason I even know what a Stiletto is is because it's almost as common as the term "tennis-shoe", beyond that, I'm pretty sure only gay guys know about fashion... I'm just happy to see that I have a shirt that's been through the wash in the morning if you know what I mean.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As a straight guy I have to say there is no such thing as gaydar (it is as valid a statement as some of the pontifications above) but I am both bemused and amused when gay men who work in public: sales assistants, health "professionals" and other assorted work when a gay man "assumes" I am straight and deliberately goes out of his way to act like an arsehole. If the cap fits. This doesn't apply to all homosexual but saddly there is some secret league that a minority belong to who just try to make everyone awkward. I am not making assumptions I am reporting on experiences.

Dear lord this topic has come up many times. There is no such thing as gaydar. There are people who can pick up certain character traits and make an educated guess. The only way you will ever know if a guy is gay/bi/curious is if he says so and offers to have some fun for the night.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
AlphaSpartan, I'm gay and I have zero knowledge about fashion. Or is it just me?
No you're not alone, that's just another stereotype. I could give a crap about fashion. T shirts and jeans for me. If I have to dress up, classic and traditional.

Well, everyone is different. That's just a guess based on an intelligently written comedy/drama show.
And this is what you base your social awareness on?

I am also bemused by the number of self-identified 90-100% 'straight' guys who state adamantly that gaydar doesn't exist. Some who then turn around and state that they can readily identify a gay guy in a casual encounter. Which is it? Not a member of a 'secret league' here. If the cap fits, maybe you are.

Last edited:

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm going to provide the link to the scientific basis of gaydar again... Again, Maxcok is right, if you don't have it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist... And your experience is only restricted to your truth, it doesn't imply anything about absolute truth, or wider truth, at least...

Queer Eyes: Blips on the Gaydar | Psychology Today

Solving the Mystery of Gaydar | Psychology Today

Psychology Today is a very reputable behavioral magazine. It's based on a research finding, saying that gaydar actually has its own biology.

and this is from less repitable website

Gaydar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AlphaSpartan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No you're not alone, that's just another stereotype. I could give a crap about fashion. T shirts and jeans for me. If I have to dress up, classic and traditional.

And this is what you base your social awareness on?

I am also bemused by the number of self-identified 90-100% 'straight' guys who state adamantly that gaydar doesn't exist. Some who then turn around and state that they can readily identify a gay guy in a casual encounter. Which is it? Not a member of a 'secret league' here. If the cap fits, maybe you are.
I included my basis for a reason, that being that I don't have a proven answer... I was just giving some ideas for him to work with. You're the second person on here that's overreacted to me for lack of understand what I'm saying rather than ask me questions based on my comments.

I'm here, primarily for sexuality, because everyone within a 1,000 mile radius of me is too primitive to communicate and is more than willing to spread social bullshit about you over natural human curiosity. I'm here because most of the people act like they stopped getting freaked out over fire millions of years ago; most of the people I meet are still foot-pedaling stone-wheeled cars.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I have pretty unfailing gaydar (though I hate to call it that) and I can tell almost straight away if guy's into guys or even just curious and experimenting, but I have pretty good instincts about people and I can tell a lot about people, gay or straight, pretty quickly. I think some people are just more in tune with their instincts than others and I'm not sure it's something you can explain or teach.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I included my basis for a reason, that being that I don't have a proven answer... I was just giving some ideas for him to work with. You're the second person on here that's overreacted to me for lack of understand what I'm saying rather than ask me questions based on my comments.
I don't think I overreacted, and I actually did ask you a question based on your comments. In fact, that's all I did.

I'm here, primarily for sexuality, because everyone within a 1,000 mile radius of me is too primitive to communicate and is more than willing to spread social bullshit about you over natural human curiosity. I'm here because most of the people act like they stopped getting freaked out over fire millions of years ago; most of the people I meet are still foot-pedaling stone-wheeled cars.
Dude, where do you live that people foot pedal stone wheel carts? (that was a question, with a question mark) I'm a little confused by the rest of your post.

p.s. nice dick!

m4mfun510

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Gays are very efficient in identifying other gays.

I have a bad reaction to statements like this. It harkens back to things like "gays are great interior decorators" (Bobby Trendy, aside :wink: ) or "gays are great florists". It is, IMHO, a generalization that is applicable to some people (both straight or gay, or in between) but not something that's truly reliable any longer in a time when male grooming is more accepted.

If I'm in a gay bar, yeah, I can usually identify gay men. Though there are usually straight men in the mix. On the street or at a party? Not so much.

How do I know if a person is gay? If they tell me so. "Gay" is a term of identification. And only "you" can identify who "you" are.

AlphaSpartan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think I overreacted, and I actually did ask you a question based on your comments. In fact, that's all I did.

Dude, where do you live that people foot pedal stone wheel carts? (that was a question, with a question mark) I'm a little confused by the rest of your post.

p.s. nice dick!
Feel free to chat with me when you stop acting so cocky. I'll forget we ever got off on the wrong foot.

Strontium

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok, .. What aspects of one person that you particularly pay attention to, to identify he's gay? Please help your confused brother here....

I've had straight guys come onto me so I don't think the word "gay" (with all its social definitions and constructs) really describes attraction.

Prolonged and repeated eye contact is a good give away- at the gym, camping, beach, etc.

AlphaSpartan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Who's overreacting? :wink: Dude, are you that overly sensitive?
I only fight with those who I must to defend myself and those I love; and then I fight to the death. Fighting for kicks is primitive and I do everything to avoid it.

Honorable warlords always choose their battles wisely.

closetbi

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You don't know unless the person tells you.

All talk of gaydar is stupid. Those, who use such terms, are people with sad sex fantasy lives who are not really in touch with reality.

Well that's wrong. I never told anyone I was gay, I just kind of figured it out when I hooked up with a dude and didn't find it all that bad. I got drunker, sucked his dick, and by God I figured out then that I had some homosexuality in me.

After that my gaydar started getting a LOT better. I used to think it didn't exist, or that all homosexuals were completely obvious. So far the best way to tell, in my opinion is to shoot him an original compliment on something you can tell he does to make himself look better, like his hair or belt, while avoiding hitting on him by continuing platonic conversation. He will give you eye contact and depending on his response and the way he responds (looking away or not, appreciating or not, trying to act like they really did/didn't like the fact that you complimented them and not succeeding at acting, etc.)

Here's my take: gay men will try to figure out if your gay. Pick up on that however you will. Eyes, questions, answers, etc. The most efficient gaydar knows the different kinds of gay to pick up on:
a) Insecure gay (usually not fortunate with looks). Baggy clothes, out of style, real low hat, etc.
b) Inspector gay. Checks you out, then checks if you're gay by starting a conversation or responding quickly and interestingly/flirty to one you started.
c) Twink. You know.
d) Overly-straight acting gays. Kind of like the insecure kind but better with women and feeling safe in their closet.

All those you can check right from the first sight of the guy. Then after you know them for a while theres always:

e) Friend who "knows" you don't know he's gay and acts like he just wished he could tell you something but never would or always puts it off (or some variation).

It's not 100% but if a straight person is comfortable with their sexuality completely they usually wont be any of these. I'm sure someone is about to tell me they aren't either, but eh, it's my gaydar and I do what I can with it.