Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
David: You know how I know that you're gay?
Cal: How?
David: You like the movie Maid in Manhattan.
Cal: You know how I know you're gay?
David: How?
Cal: I saw you make a spinach dip in a loaf of sourdough bread once.
David: You know how I know that you're gay?
Cal: How?
David: You have a rainbow bumper sticker on your car that says "I love it when balls are in my face."
Cal: That's gay?

—From The Forty-Year-Old Virgin

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
*SNIP* David: You have a rainbow bumper sticker on your car that says "I love it when balls are in my face."
Cal: That's gay? —From The Forty-Year-Old Virgin
OMG! I'm a gay man! :eek::biggrin1:

Also feel that sometimes, eye contact is a dead give away. There have been a number of times when I've been waiting at an elevator and a guy will look at me, walk on by and then come back, look me directly in the eyes and ask "Are you going down?" If you're on the top floor of a building, that's really a no brainer and my first impulse is to laugh. However, if you both get on, you're alone, and he fumbles for words to make small talk, it's generally more than a hint.
My gaydar fluctuates from fully functional to, barely working. But you bi-guys skew everything! :rolleyes::mad: I can rarely tell a bi-guy even after talking to him for an hour. :redface: This has caused a myriad of embarassing a situations and missed opportunities on my part unfortunately. :frown1::redface:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's easy.. they always wear pink, have a limp wrist whenever they point to something and always call everyone ducky...
The only way to know someone's sexual preference is to forget about any sort of stereotype and maybe have the confidence to ask. I mean if one want's to know that you are probably getting some sort of vibe in the first place.. but appearances can be deceptive.

appearances and "vibes" can be deceptive, sure, but those stereotypes have to come from somewhere.

My "gaydar" seems to be sharper than most people's. But I think I'm just more observant than most people are. I can guess all sorts of obscure information about someone just based on the way they talk, how they look, and how they present themselves. I know I'm not always right, and it's dumb to assume that anyone ever could always be right making such assumptions, but usually I'm right.

Sometimes people mistakenly assume that I'm gay. Not sure why. Maybe because I'm usually a snappy dresser?

jorpollew

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is a very delicate situation. You're not out. He's not out. And neither of you know how far (or if) the other is interested and possibly curious-- or not! SO, APPROACH WITH CAUTION!!

Choosing how to make your move depends largely on how you met this guy. Do you know him from work, the gym or school? Is he a neighbor? In my personal experience, it was easier to ask a co-worker to hang out for happy hour than it was to ask that handsome neighbor in my apartment building to go out for coffee. But I did both-- and with good results.

When it comes to getting or giving personal information, I try not to be gender-specific. For instance, instead of asking "Do you have a girlfriend?", I will ask "How's the dating scene treating you? You seeing anyone?" or "You ever meet/date somone off the Internet?" And listen closely to his answers, because how open or private he is will give you lots of clues!!

Tell us a little more, Sportymike. You'll get more and better free advice from LPSG if we know more about your situation. Your ages? How you met? Similar interests? What you're too nervous to do or say?

I promise you that there's a perfect way to approach the situation.

dudepiston

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Definitely one of the bests responses/posts to this type of question that I've read on LPSG! Bravo. I'd listen to more of what this guy has to say than anybody else who's responded so far, including myself, because time & circumstance have shown that I have zero clue when it comes to this stuff. :tongue:

This is a very delicate situation. You're not out. He's not out. And neither of you know how far (or if) the other is interested and possibly curious-- or not! SO, APPROACH WITH CAUTION!!

Choosing how to make your move depends largely on how you met this guy. Do you know him from work, the gym or school? Is he a neighbor? In my personal experience, it was easier to ask a co-worker to hang out for happy hour than it was to ask that handsome neighbor in my apartment building to go out for coffee. But I did both-- and with good results.

When it comes to getting or giving personal information, I try not to be gender-specific. For instance, instead of asking "Do you have a girlfriend?", I will ask "How's the dating scene treating you? You seeing anyone?" or "You ever meet/date somone off the Internet?" And listen closely to his answers, because how open or private he is will give you lots of clues!!

Tell us a little more, Sportymike. You'll get more and better free advice from LPSG if we know more about your situation. Your ages? How you met? Similar interests? What you're too nervous to do or say?

I promise you that there's a perfect way to approach the situation.

SandraSmithCarver

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Other than a guy acting stereotypically flamboyant, there are no tell-tale signs that someone is gay.

My partner and I don't act "gay," and I know for a fact there are people in both of our lives that haven't the foggiest idea.

Now, if you catch two dudes making out on a bench or in the back of a cab, that might be a good indication.
What about "GAYDAR"???
i thought most gay men had this???

bottombuddy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's easy.. they always wear pink, have a limp wrist whenever they point to something and always call everyone ducky...
The only way to know someone's sexual preference is to forget about any sort of stereotype and maybe have the confidence to ask. I mean if one want's to know that you are probably getting some sort of vibe in the first place.. but appearances can be deceptive.

LMAO

you forgot to add hotpants.

seriously though - most gay guys (myself included) have a thing called gaydar and you can usually tell who is and who isnt.....im usually right most of the time but just because you feel someone is dont mean you wanna have sex with them...........does it?

cyberczar

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I haven't had much need for gaydar ever since I was about 28, and realized that it didn't matter what someone's sexuality was to me as it was none of my business (and frankly I stopped giving a shit).

I found the "You're hot, wanna fuck?" approach to be much more accurate anyways.

What about "GAYDAR"???
i thought most gay men had this???

Primal_Savage

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OMG! I'm a gay man! :eek::biggrin1:

My gaydar fluctuates from fully functional to, barely working. But you bi-guys skew everything! :rolleyes::mad: I can rarely tell a bi-guy even after talking to him for an hour. :redface: This has caused a myriad of embarassing a situations and missed opportunities on my part unfortunately. :frown1::redface:

An hour? Hell, you might sign up for 5 weeks of 1 hour training sessions at the gym with me, and you'd probably still be confused. Will admit that those of us that are bi- and closeted often go out of our way to send out confusing signals. Call us dishonest if you will, but feel that the best way to avoid missed opportunities is too keep pressing us on the issue....maybe after the 6th or 7th denial, we'll come clean as long as it's our dirty little secret.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Seriously, there's no real way to know ... I just came from the gym, where I was feeling a very intense attraction to this very muscular bloke ... it was obvious he was also paying some attention to me, but we were avoiding eye contact ... there were other guys that showed interest, but the sense was different ... I sensed a different level of interest, qualitatively different, having more to do with the workout program I was pursuing, and the results I was getting, and just the fact they had seen me in their before as a regular ... so the sense I got from the first was intense, and qualitatively different ... but I have no way of knowing at this point whether it's that or just the possibility of a close platonic friendship ... the only way to do that, is to engage him, and learn where the possibilities are ... it may end up as a better as a straight-ace friend, than someone I'll fuck around with. At this point either possibility could obtain, and I should be open to either, or or to some other ...

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is no real way to know if someone is gay -other than to ask them (Assuming they will answer), hang out in a gay bar (Which can be deceiving-I have many friends here, both men and women, who are not gay but have been with me to gay bars) or just not worry about it.

As NIC160 pointed out--sometimes if you are in the right place and observant, someone can seem gay, but even this is just a hunch. I usually know that the guy I am fucking and/or the guy who stares at you in the bookstore and won't break eye contact is gay (its called cruising).

I have a friend who swears he has no gaydar. So,he often wears shirts that are full on innuendo and sayings that are mostly known to other gay men. Then, he looks for the guys who are staring and constantly looking at his shirt.

Sometimes you can tell more about what someone doesn't do than by what they actually do.

ajshontz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the guy, that said about the secret handshake, you are just to funny, I am still laughing, what do they mean how do you know?

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have an excellent gaydar, and have never been wrong. The things I look for are eye contact, walk, and talk and overall mannerism. I watch how people act in certain situations when no one is watching. I am proud to say that I ahve never been wrong.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have an excellent gayday, and have never been wrong. The things I look for are eye contact, walk, and talk and overall mannerism. I watch how people act in certain situations when no one is watching. I am proud to say that I ahve never been wrong.

ever investigated getting a patent?