How do you let someone know you like them?

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I mean you, personally. How do you let someone you don't know too well that you like them? And how do you know if they like you?

Like do you compliment them and see how they respond?
Do you ask them out or for their number?
Do you just flat out say "I like you"?
Or is it just by the way you look at them that they realize you like them?

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Well I am up front, so I just let it out. I was honest and true.

I said it in am email and I'm waiting to hear back. But I'm a little pissed now that I learn hotmail is fucked up, which her and I both use.:mad:

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
But do it in person! The internet is so...cold. It'll mean alot more if you've got the balls to tell this individual, face-to-face, you've got feelings for him/her.

I don't go into things half-cocked, so to speak :wink: I'll spend time with the girl, developing a connection and learning about her first. I nevvvvvver hook-up with strangers. I'm like a general and the object of my affection is the enemy. Before making an assault, I want as much information as possible. Ultimately, I base my decisions on the ever-impossible to describe feeling. When we lock eyes, do I feel anything? I can tell if someone likes me from eye contact alone but I don't rush in. I still take the time to familiarize myself with her and decide the best approach based upon the individual. Some respond better to bluntness while others are shy.

I'm pretty honest, open, and blunt. I would just say it.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't go into things half-cocked, so to speak :wink: I'll spend time with the girl, developing a connection and learning about her first. I nevvvvvver hook-up with strangers. I'm like a general and the object of my affection is the enemy. Before making an assault, I want as much information as possible. Ultimately, I base my decisions on the ever-impossible to describe feeling. When we lock eyes, do I feel anything? I can tell if someone likes me from eye contact alone but I don't rush in. I still take the time to familiarize myself with her and decide the best approach based upon the individual. Some respond better to bluntness while others are shy.
I don't understand. To get to the point of spending time with her, doesn't she already have to know you like her? How do you get into a situation where you spend time with her in the first place if she doesn't think you like her? (Thanks)

maestro071

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like do you compliment them and see how they respond? -Yes
Do you ask them out or for their number? -Yes, Yes
Do you just flat out say "I like you"? -Yes
Or is it just by the way you look at them that they realize you like them?
- If she looks at me and knows anything about the body language, she easily get to knows and see that I like her, lol
Though sometimes it becomes so obvious, if you just focus look for a second @ my pants, lol

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
But do it in person! The internet is so...cold. It'll mean alot more if you've got the balls to tell this individual, face-to-face, you've got feelings for him/her.

It would have been face to face if she didn't live so far away from me already. I met her online months ago, and we've chatted every day. So she's not a complete stranger. I'm hoping to go visit her sometime.

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
"I don't understand. To get to the point of spending time with her, doesn't she already have to know you like her? How do you get into a situation where you spend time with her in the first place if she doesn't think you like her? (Thanks)"

Not necessarily. You can spend time together with a group of friends. Maybe a few of you go to the bar or a movie or dinner. Whatever the situation, keep your attention on her. Talk to her, listen to what she has to say, be near her, etc.

How you approach this depends on your current relationship with the girl. Are you two friends? Have you known each other for years or a few weeks? Is she a stranger you met once? Do you have any mutual friends?

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not necessarily. You can spend time together with a group of friends. Maybe a few of you go to the bar or a movie or dinner. Whatever the situation, keep your attention on her. Talk to her, listen to what she has to say, be near her, etc.
I can see this. But by keeping your attention on her, you are basically already saying that you are interested and like her. And this seems to be the ideal situation where you can get to know someone in a group setting.
How you approach this depends on your current relationship with the girl. Are you two friends? Have you known each other for years or a few weeks? Is she a stranger you met once? Do you have any mutual friends?
I agree, it depends on the situation. I guess the hardest situation is someone you randomly see every few weeks, like they live in your area and you know a little about them, but aren't really friends yet.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have no time for wait-and-see, or guessing games. If I don't know them too well, then I cannot possibly be but so emotionally attached to them anyway. Therefore there is nothing much to lose. I just tell them in plain English.

First I ask them if they're available, and then I tell them all of my favorite things about themselves, how much I look forward to spending time with them, and ask them if they have ever considered the possibility of something less platonic with me. Men seem to appreciate the lack of bullshit and hesitation.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have no time for wait-and-see, or guessing games. If I don't know them too well, then I cannot possibly be but so emotionally attached to them anyway. Therefore there is nothing much to lose. I just tell them in plain English.

First I ask them if they're available, and then I tell them all of my favorite things about themselves, how much I look forward to spending time with them, and ask them if they have ever considered the possibility of something less platonic with me. Men seem to appreciate the lack of bullshit and hesitation.
Interesting. I don't think straight guys could get away with this. It would seem a bit strong to come onto a woman like this all at once.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
it's best to just be direct...
I've discovered YEARS later that people have had crushes on me and never said anything...and I didn't notice at the time...

hints & innuendo may never be picked up on, so it's best to just let them know...

it's not hard, just ask if they'd like to go out & do something with you...

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting. I don't think straight guys could get away with this. It would seem a bit strong to come onto a woman like this all at once.

I don't like for men to hit on me at all. On the one hand it's flattering, on the other hand, it makes me feel out of control and off-balance. I have learned that guys don't seem to respond to subtlety, and so I have learned to be direct with them. If, on the other hand, a man is very very subtle with me, and I'm interested, I will be very direct with him. That works for me. Of course in this case I'm talking about complete strangers.

I ran this by a friend of mine, and she said she agreed with me that men are pretty direct with us all the time. How else is it going to happen? Men are always asking for a name, a phone number, an email address. Men say things to me like, "We should get together again sometime soon." I think these are relatively direct. There is no other way for me to interpret it other than "I would like to spend more time with you as soon as possible." I have to asssume the guy likes me. I'd prefer he just give me his intentions right then so no one wastes their time. Usually, this doesn't happen so I say, "Are you flirting with me?"

I think people need to give up a fear of embarrassing themselves. It's crippling.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I think I need to visit the big city and take lessons from you! What you say makes sense, I just can't see me ever having the cajones to do that. :redface:

I don't like for men to hit on me at all. On the one hand it's flattering, on the other hand, it makes me feel out of control and off-balance. I have learned that guys don't seem to respond to subtlety, and so I have learned to be direct with them. If, on the other hand, a man is very very subtle with me, and I'm interested, I will be very direct with him. That works for me. Of course in this case I'm talking about complete strangers.

I ran this by a friend of mine, and she said she agreed with me that men are pretty direct with us all the time. How else is it going to happen? Men are always asking for a name, a phone number, an email address. Men say things to me like, "We should get together again sometime soon." I think these are relatively direct. There is no other way for me to interpret it other than "I would like to spend more time with you as soon as possible." I have to asssume the guy likes me. I'd prefer he just give me his intentions right then so no one wastes their time. Usually, this doesn't happen so I say, "Are you flirting with me?"

I think people need to give up a fear of embarrassing themselves. It's crippling.
It's not a fear of embarassment that stops me from being as direct as you are. It's the fear of ego crushing rejection. :frown1: :redface:

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i'm a HUGE wimp when it comes to things like this.

i guess it just do very subtle things, like compliment them and being tender with them. there's always a light, sensitive touch to always help you out too. i know also if we chat online i would usually leave little hints that i'm too afraid to say otherwise. i'm a little more bold when it comes to chatting, or writing e-mails or such....

it usually is more easier if you think that there's a real possiblity that you both can be together though.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Damn, woman... if I were straight and you were single...

*sigh*

I guess we'll have to settle for being friends, because there's so much I like about you!