How do you like your steak?

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I actually like them all, although it varies with the cut.

But I can't stand people who cook steak of any kind on a plate/pan/griddle that isn't quite hot enough. Even to do a steak blue, you have to have the plate as hot as possible to seal the meat...

As I'm a bit of a cooking nut... the way I like to do steak myself is... get a very nice marbled cut about 3/4 of an inch thick (porterhouse, sirloin or scotch), use some garlic salt and olive oil, gently massage it in and leave it to sit with a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce.

Heat the pan up until it stops smoking heavily... then gently lower the steak down so as to not displace any of the juices. Wait for the right smell and the colour to start to creep up the sides... then a single turn.

I cook it to medium rare, using the finger/palm firmness test... then serve with a freshly prepared bernaise.

Haha, who would think I was vegetarian for 4 years?

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
When I ate steak, it was usually slathered with onions, mushrooms, garlic and green peppers.

In regards to the "doneness", I was never a fan of pink, so it was usually medium or medium well.

Wasnt' really a fan of red meat growing up.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When dining out, I prefer my steak medium-well. Just a bit of pink in the middle and no blood. At home I usually cook it well-done.

What's this "rare" crap? The secret of fire isn't exactly a high-tech mystery any more. Uncooked food is for dogs. ROTFLMAO :biggrin1: I never touch shellfish. You can have that crap. I don't like fish with fins. However, I will eat almost anything in a shell including escargot, but excluding oysters. To me oysters are just giant loogies. I prefer what my dad calls "fake fish;" i.e. Mrs. Paul's fish sticks and Mc Donald's fish sandwiches. :biggrin1: I also make an exception for solid white tuna in oil and grilled salmon prepared by my girl friends Turkish husband. I have no idea what he does to it, but it's always delicious.
What about the other half? Personally, I wouldn't let a chef less than 100% decent anywhere near my steak.:tongue: I was thinking the same thing.
True story: a Toronto high end restaurant had a new European chef with an impressive reputation, and when a grumpy patron sent a $50 steak back to be grilled again, exclaimed to his staff:
"Must we kill ze cow twice???" ROTFLMAO :biggrin1: I used to work in a kitchen. I miss the droll humor of the French Chef that was briefly employed there. I was the cashier and the only one who "got" him other than the banquet manager. :tongue:

Sizzling with butter sauce: filet mignon (medium to medium well), lightly dusted with a medium-ground fresh black pepper (and please don't butterfly it!) Now I am hungry... Agreed, If you are going to butterfly cut a filet mignon, then you may as well order a ribeye :tongue:
Yup, and garlic toast counts, too. Garlic grows in the ground, after all.
(Filet mignon on the grill tomorrow. With butterflied shrimp, garlic toast, and maybe even a salad, if I'm feeling decadent :wink: ) You're a little far for me to make dinner tonight, how about doing it again in June :05:

Designated chef in the family...my all time favourite is to wrap 5cm thick slices of beef fillet in bacon, chargrill till just medium rare and serve it on onion marmalade accompanied with chargrilled baby asparagus and a berry balsamic vinegar dressing.
Slurp! I've never had onion marmalade; but that sounds delish! If I am ever in your neck of the woods I'm coming over for dinner.

A rare point of agreement with the Big Dirigible. A well done steak can still be juicy. ABSOLUTELY!

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I mentioned rare but it depends on the cut of meat. Sirloin tastes incredible if it's blackened with a medium-rare middle as does a New York Strip or Porterhouse. Prime rib should always be rare with au jus. Some restaurants don't know how to properly marinate and cook prime rib.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't like steak. I know this makes me a freak of nature, but I have tried almost every steak imaginable in various different conformations, and each time it only reinforces that I don't like slabs of meat all that well.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Medium rare with a side of bernaise sauce. I love a good bernaise sauce.

I mentioned rare but it depends on the cut of meat. Sirloin tastes incredible if it's blackened with a medium-rare middle as does a New York Strip or Porterhouse. Prime rib should always be rare with au jus. Some restaurants don't know how to properly marinate and cook prime rib. So true! So many restaurants think that well-done means charred beyond recognition. Prime Rib and Porterhouse taste best to me cooked medium.

I don't like steak. I know this makes me a freak of nature, but I have tried almost every steak imaginable in various different conformations, and each time it only reinforces that I don't like slabs of meat all that well. Not at all it's probably one of the things that makes you so loveable.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
I don't like steak. I know this makes me a freak of nature, but I have tried almost every steak imaginable in various different conformations, and each time it only reinforces that I don't like slabs of meat all that well.

Don't worry :smile: Steak is an acquired taste, and its preparation does matter along with the choice of condiment/sauce. (Ketchup doesn't count ... a steak with ketchup is basically a hamburger).

As for me, I like mine well-done, bien cuit. I prefer the filet mignon, and I am fond of those steaks that have been marinated in wine.

My condiment selections vary. These days, I often select an onion & blue cheese topping. I am okay with bernaise sauce.

basketbulge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My Mother cooked every meat she served until it turned into shoe leather. Thankfully, once I left home I learned to appreciate a little juice in my meat. :smile:

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
In a more ideal situation, I would like to be a vegetarian + seafood guy and elminate red meat all together. (I could give up meat, but never seafood). I don't a good streak once every 3 months or so, but I don't find it necessary for me personally. I don't have the discipline to give up meat living in the New England climate -- once the weather changes to cold dampness, a steak comes in handy. (I love the snow but dislike the rain.

BuddyBoy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Black and Blue, or Black and Rare. I like my blue warmed through so I guess that's more like very rare than true blue.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What's this "rare" crap? The secret of fire isn't exactly a high-tech mystery any more. Uncooked food is for dogs.

Sorry my tastes aren't as refined as yours are.

When I ate meat, I preferred my steaks medium rare if the lights were bright, and rare if the lights were low.

The meat itself has a beautiful flavor, one even beyond whatever wonderful seasonings might be added by the chef. Texture too! And for me, the ultimate companion was a black-and-tan. Don't care what the lager is, but make the stout a Guinness.

Potatoes and barely cooked string beand are great to have too. Fried ice cream for dessert.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What's with all the sauces?

Steak tastes amazing on it's own, don't drown the natural flavour out.

I'm not a huge fan of "add ons", obviously, but I understand that everyone has their own preferences. One thing that does offend me is someone tampering with what I've prepared for them without so much as sampling it first.

My BF in uni learned this the hard way. After turning a plate of delicate golden french toast into maple syrup stew he had the gall to tell me how delicious my cooking was.

"How the fuck would you know?"