How do you make a house into a home?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Sep 6, 2007.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Do you have a strong affinity for your domicile, the place where you live? I'm interested at what point do you consider your house a home. What needs to happen for a physical place you live in to become a place of emotional connection and part of you.

I've lived in many apartments and shared houses during my younger years and during college but I have only lived in one place which I have felt at "home", not including the house I grew up in. Even after personalizing a space, living at length in one house and making it fit your tastes - sometimes residences just don't feel like a home. The house harbors no emotional attachment. You can leave without thinking twice quite easily. You don't really care if it burns down. It's just a product like a bottle of shampoo - just a dollar value that is insured. When does a house become more than just an investment?

When do you know you are at home?

2. Love-it

Gold Member

We designed and built our own home, so it's to our taste and needs. We have a full basement for tools and etc., decks overlooking forest, creek and mountains, we have a cathedral ceiling with open 1/2 loft bedroom and bath. It is on 29 acres and two miles off pavement. We have mountain breezes that bring the scent of pines and we have 4 seasons.

All of that and my wife lives here with me.

3. huw ginnit

huw ginnit New Member

Albums:
    The way I know I have become attached is if I stay at a familiar place, ie, Parents, away with friends or business trip, and on the journey home think " I can't wait to get home..." by that time I am bonded.

I usually get a ton of plants in there as I move, (which I have done over 25 times in my lifetime!) so it looks homely, and generally by the time 2-3 have died (I am not too green fingered and use plants as longer lasting floral arrangements!) Then I tend to feel homely about the place.

Neighbours saying hello is another indicator. I don't bother with my neighbours, never have, rather have a quiet home life than being involved with "next door" so by the time we are famililar enough to say hello, it's usually a sign "I'm home"

4. lafever

Gold Member

Albums:
    I believe home is where the heart is, everywhere you go there you are, with that said, anyone with gratitude and fortitude can make the best out of any home. But there does come a time when you have to take a objectable inventory of your accomplishments and ask yourself if you can settle for what you have. Some people are on fixed incomes so that limits their options. But if you can come up with the collateral then why settle for peanuts and coolaid when you can have lobster and champagne.

I`ve given up two houses and a condo in the city in the last twenty years just because they didn`t feel right and i couldn`t see myself putting money in homes that i wasn`t happy with. Right now i`m renting and making preperations for a lake house that i`ll build myself, i used to build homes so i`ve been playing around with the blue prints for a while, it`ll take me about five years to complete on my own. So now i`m pinching pennies to build my dream home on the lake. My new house will be on a sixty mile long lake thats fed from the tennessee river.

I plan on spending the rest of my life there, i even have plans for the boat house, i`m at the age where i have to make investments for the well being of my serenity and for my children. I don`t want to be stuck in an old folks home some day living of social security, or in a home that makes me miserable, i want to spend my last days taking my bass boat out on the lake and wathcing the sun rise and set. I don`t want to be miserable in my old age. Knowing that my family will enjoy what i`ve built will give me a sense of accomplishment for the time i`ve spent living. I think in the end thats what makes a home what it is, it`s when you can look at it and feel that sense of accomplishment after it`s all said and done. That you don`t have any regrets of what you should have done when you had the chance to do so.:rolleyes:

lafever

5. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fuck in it a few times. It starts to feel homely then.

6. earllogjam

Gold Member

I've had that same feeling about places I've lived. That they just didn't feel right and I just considered the place an investment. I wonder if most people have those feelings. I go look at model homes every once in a while and I always get those feelings and can't see myself happy living in any tract house they have on the market.

I can relate to a home becoming a home because of all the sweat and care it took to build something you like - an accomplishment and legacy in a way. Thanks for your perspective lafever. Sounds like that house on the lake is going to be wonderful.

7. No_Strings

Gold Member

The above comments apply to how I turn a house into my house.
    My home is with a person, not in a specific place or location. Sorry to get all romantic on you, but that's my thought process in a nutshell. :redface:

8. Sassy88

Sassy88 New Member

Albums:
    I bought the house I was born in, it was originally my Granny's house and when my Uncle died and it had to be sold.... I bought it, so it immediatley felt like home to me. I had spent so much of my childhood there.... it was a lovely happy place full of great memories.

I consider myself very lucky. I love my home and I never want to live anywhere else. I think that's when you know you really are home. IMHO

9. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Just add animals.

10. wldhoney

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a 1903 Craftsman bungalow that is a historical home and one of the three original houses in my area.

There is not a place in this house that has not been scrubbed, sanded, and painted by me. New windows, doors moved, walls changed, kitchen redone, brand new yard.

It's been exhausting work, but I love this house. It has so many memories and everywhere I look I see me.

Which is why it is so depressing that I have put it up for sale.... :(

11. camper joe

Gold Member

I have but one home. My parents brought me to my home the day they brought me from the hospital. Birthdays, Christmas, Saturday nights cookouts, lazy Sundays when we had homemade ice cream, all occurred there. But all of these did not make it HOME it was the people who lived there that did. All is gone, Dad has passed, Mom has a condo, both my brother and sister have their own families and homes. I live in an apartment

12. mattyacht

mattyacht New Member

13. mattyacht

mattyacht New Member

You'll have to hard type hgtv.com. The link doesn't work.

14. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

It's memories and the people that you associate your house with that make it into a home, the work you put into it lovingly to make it your own, the laughter and tears you fill it with, and the mark on the kitchen wall where you threw stew when you were having a hissy fit :)

15. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ah, those Sierra breezes are makin' me jealous, Love-it.

As for me, I live in the 'burbs now but I also designed my home. It doesn't have 29 acres but my back yard borders a large permanently wooded lot that's thick with trees and greenery. Its about as close to actually being in the woods as possible. I have a central sound system, a usable attic, a greenhouse, a garden, a hot tub, a deck and a covered patio.

I consider it a home because I did all the extra work on landscaping and such. Sweat equity, they call it.

16. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My mom and her sisters were close. Every weekend, one of my aunt's and her family would come over for dinner. It was always a festive occasion and the mothers cooked knock out meals every time. Afterward, the adults would play cards and have some drinks in the kitchen; the kids would hang in the living room and play a game or watch TV. This was the norm from my early childhood.

In my early 20s, I moved to Arizona. I learned how to cook, made friends quickly, and continued the tradition of dinner parties. My place had that same aura of a fun, relaxing, homey place as my childhood residence. It's been that way all my life. I love to cook and entertain. Maybe I'll do a bed and breakfast when I retire.

17. biguy2738

Gold Member

Albums:
    I couldn't have put it any better than this...thanks SP. :smile:

18. agnslz

Gold Member

I can make any place I live in feel like home. My apartment now isn't grand but it does feel like home to me. The surroundings and look of the place doesn't matter so much to me as the feeling of having my own place where I can relax and be comfortable and do what I wanna do when I wanna do it. Whenever I've moved it usually only takes me a couple of days to get acquainted and at ease with my new space. I've always been a homebody and there's never a place that I'd rather be more than at home.

19. earllogjam

Gold Member

20. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    My house used to feel like home, but now that I'm divorcing, my older kids have moved out and my youngest has died it's just not home anymore. My home was filled with laughter, kids, pets, friends. It was beautifully decorated and had a beautiful yard because gardening was my passion...now, it's still nice but has no life in it. I'm going to sell and start a new chapter in my life which includes moving out of state...the memories are too painful. Someday I hope to find another place that will eventually feel like home. Wherever I move, California and the ocean will always be my home.

Draft saved Draft deleted